Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Three subtractions to 2010 Bowman Chrome

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
Alpharetta, Georgia, United States
A very short press release.

Topps announces that because of unexpected contractual issues, Yonder Alonzo, Tim Beckham and Brett Wallace will not appear in 2010 Bowman Chrome Baseball.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Anyone surprised?

::::::crickets::::::::

Thought not.

NOW, who will replace them?

I've got one name in mind, for starters.

Jonathan Singleton.

bmc398

May 25, 2009
Or that Brian is being a big baby and not letting them go. The only financial gain to be made off these guys is selling the autos to topps.

He promised me they would stop doing things to hurt collectors.

This seems like Razor is using what the collectors want to stick a big middle finger to Topps.

Boo Razor.

Vagrant

May 2, 2009
Exclusive means exclusive, obviously. A bit presumptuous of them to include them on the initial checklist without having the goods from Razor, but such is life.

I hope they add Brandon Laird to the final auto checklist.

masonphillip

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
bmc398 said:
This seems like Razor is using what the collectors want to stick a big middle finger to Topps.

Competitors being competitive and using valuable items as their playing chips, I would have never imagined.

If you believed Brian was going to let these go to Topps just so the collectors could enjoy them, you are the one who got fooled. Brian's running a business here, he set a price and it appears Topps wouldn't pay it.

asmth312

Jan 17, 2009
Odds are these guys aren't going to be replaced with better prospects. Not because Topps just doesn't care, but because these three guys are really good prospects.

Singleton would be nice, and he's been hot, but by most accounts Alonso is the much better prospect. Beckham went 1-1, so whatever you think of his diminished prospect status, it's not like there are any other guys with that draft pedigree who can be added. And Wallace is one of the more solid, advanced hitters in the minors who has been a lock to hit in the big leagues since he was drafted.

This, and about 100 other reasons are why I would never pay $1200 (about 400 more than a fair price) for a product that is four months out. It's a gamble, and not a good one.

bmc398

May 25, 2009
cgilmo said:
bmc398 said:

^^ butthurt
Butt hurt because Razor and Topps keep bending collectors over. Im sure the Topps offer wasn't that great but it was better than nothing....and it would have helped keep his promise to start giving collectors the players they want and to give up on the exclusives.

to me topps and razor missed out on a golden opportunity to develop a relationship movig forward! topps had a chance to include some of the top names from the 08 draft and razor had a chance to cash in on more than 3 players if they negotiated right. topps would benefit from the added star power and razor could have added some validity to their previous products. oh well!

Vagrant

May 2, 2009
I have warmed up to Razor a bit recently, but it is a bit corn hole to have a product full of repacked Topps cards and when a time comes to "pay it forward", so to speak, Razor drives a hard bargain and refuses Topps to print cards that may ultimately end up in a future Razor repacking product.

If Razor wants to piggyback on the viability of the Topps brand (among others) in one release, and then when they have the opportunity to help Topps in return and choose not to take it then everybody loses and Razor looks like a jerk here.

It's like those guys on the show "Pickers", who have a ton of absolute junk but won't sell it for a tidy profit for themselves because they're afraid the person they're selling to is going to make a ton of money on it. So instead, the junk just starts to pile up without being used and ends up being junk forever. That is how I see the ownership of the Razor contracts. They're not using them and they have a value.... why not get as much value as you possibly can from them and chalk it up to a misguided venture? It seems like holding out hope for Razor viability in the baseball market isn't going to materialize, so why not cut bait on the idea and allow collectors the opportunity to own Chrome cards of some of their favorite prospects?

It just seems all a bit askew. I wonder if Topps were to get vindictive enough if they could file an injunction on their products being included in this upcoming Razor release.

hofmichael

Sep 19, 2008
Albany,NY
bmc398 said:
Or that Brian is being a big baby and not letting them go. The only financial gain to be made off these guys is selling the autos to topps.

Boo Razor.
I think Brian has made some piss poor decisions in the past but to just let go of contract that he has money tied into is the dumbest ******* idea I have ever heard.You are crazy for even suggesting he do such a thing.
Mike

bmc398

May 25, 2009
notjomommasclint said:
to me topps and razor missed out on a golden opportunity to develop a relationship movig forward! topps had a chance to include some of the top names from the 08 draft and razor had a chance to cash in on more than 3 players if they negotiated right. topps would benefit from the added star power and razor could have added some validity to their previous products. oh well!

BG is good at one thing....repacks.

Thats a little narrow but thats what he makes the most money on so thats what he focuses on. Im sure he didn't have to sell these rights at all....but the fact that he didnt shows that he is in it for himself and the money alone.

With him, its all about the bottom line.....which is great business, until you forget about the consumer buying your products and you are unable to make anymore because there is no market for them a la first run baseball products by Razor.

Good idea, poor execution. It takes a man to admit he was wrong which BG did....but it takes a real man to stand up to his promises and do what he says. He told me he was over the exclusives, wouldn't do it again, and if an opportunity came up to have those guys be in other brands he'd do it. The value proposition is there $0 for keeping the exclusives is less than whatever they offered him for the autos.

Sack up, and give it up. Thanks.

Great analogy by Vagrant above....keep sitting on the junk BG and not living up to promises.

hofmichael

Sep 19, 2008
Albany,NY
bmc398 said:
notjomommasclint said:

BG is good at one thing....repacks.

Thats a little narrow but thats what he makes the most money on so thats what he focuses on. Im sure he didn't have to sell these rights at all....but the fact that he didnt shows that he is in it for himself and the money alone.

With him, its all about the bottom line.....which is great business, until you forget about the consumer buying your products and you are unable to make anymore because there is no market for them a la first run baseball products by Razor.

Good idea, poor execution. It takes a man to admit he was wrong which BG did....but it takes a real man to stand up to his promises and do what he says. He told me he was over the exclusives, wouldn't do it again, and if an opportunity came up to have those guys be in other brands he'd do it. The value proposition is there $0 for keeping the exclusives is less than whatever they offered him for the autos.

Sack up, and give it up. Thanks.

Great analogy by Vagrant above....keep sitting on the junk BG and not living up to promises.
If you run a business and are not in it for the money then why the **** are you running a business?Thats what charities are for.

bmc398

May 25, 2009
hofmichael said:
bmc398 said:

Boo Razor.
I think Brian has made some piss poor decisions in the past but to just let go of contract that he has money tied into is the dumbest fracking idea I have ever heard.You are crazy for even suggesting he do such a thing.
Mike
The money is already gone to pay these guys.

In keeping the contracts BG has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to gain. Its a sunk cost, which should not be factored into future financial decisions as far as those go. In fact your logic should suggest he do the opposite. Since he spent sooo much on these guys in the past shouldn't he get as much out of them as he can now since he wont be releasing any first run products? A smart guy sells, especially when he wants to turn a new leaf as far as pleasing customers goes.

Again....Selling exclusives $$$$ > $0 for holding the exclusives.