Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Just noticed something about baseball card photos!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RustyGreerFan

Jun 10, 2010
Gastonia, NC
Since my return to the hobby I've wanted to pick up a card of two of some of my favorite players throughout the years. Since it's just for my PC I wanted to pick up issues that just "look cool."

One way baseball fans recognize their favorite players is by their signature batting stance which we recognize from the centerfield camera on tv games. Last night I decided to search COMC for an Edgar Martinez card showing him from this view - ready to hit. 49 pages later I realized... there may not be any. I'm surprised I've never noticed this before and surprised that a zoom lens from out in centerfield (like television) is not a photo that seems to be used on cards.

Considering that is how we most recognize our favorite hitters they should do an entire series like that. Maybe even zoom past the pitcher so it's like the person holding the card is on the mound. Maybe it's not possible or something? Okay - somebody make it happen! :mrgreen:

Lars

Aug 25, 2008
I would tend to think if you are a professional, credentialed photographer trying to get a shot of a particular player, you are better served doing so down on the field level, particularly since it seems impractical to try and take shots of batters from all the way out in the centerfield.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
I think it's quite do-able considering the telephoto lenses available today. A stadium club manny ramirez card looks pretty good as shot from center field. I bet the photographer was able to access and snap that photo from the area around where the center field tv cameras are.

Members online

Latest posts