Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

I have a decision to make... Vintage enthusiasts come in!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Zan

Aug 12, 2008
NY, NY
It's looking more and more like I am going to the National.. I only live in NJ so it is not a far drive by any means, 2.5 hours max. There are two sweet Hank Greenberg vintage cards on eBay that will cost me a pretty penny. My question is, should I wait about 2 weeks for the National to buy a sweet vintage card or two, or splurge now and buy one of the two on eBay. Mind you, my budget is ABOUT $200..

zan

jmagic87

Sep 27, 2008
Mass
depends if there is a rare one on ebay u NEVER really see i would get it

if they pop up a few times a yeari would go the the NAT see them in person any maybe find some other nice deals on his stuff

TNP777

Aug 7, 2008
the 209
personally, I would wait for the Natty - you'll be able to see the dealers face-to-face. Green in hand often does a lot of talking for you, so you might end up with a couple of nice deals. Plus you get the chance to interact with other collectors you know.

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
Deals on vintage are tougher to find at the National than on eBay in my opinion. Of course, the huge benefit to the National is being able to see the card(s) in person...and meeting some fellow FCBers.

fkw

May 28, 2010
Kea'au, HI
Are you a Greenberg collector?, if so.... join the crowd :)

All depends on what cards (of Greenberg?) you are looking for?
And what type of collector you are or want to be?

Dont know if you are strictly a newschool slab collector or an oldschool hardcore player collector...
slab = usually want common high grade everyday cards already graded (cards seen/offered every day)
hardcore = one of every "type" of Greenberg card made........ some examples are wanted in "any condition" show "for sale" maybe 1 time every 3-5+ years if that.

The National is going to cost you more than eBay, but you may find some stuff that doesnt show on eBay often (ie Auction House extremely rare type cards).

If you are looking for one of the extremely common R320, R322, R323, R303, R318, R327, R314-1, R314-4, R334, R335, R336, etc. ............obviously shop around and bid on eBay for the best deal.

If you need an extremely tough Greenberg..... like a R314-5, 1934 Tiger Team Issue, 1940 Mich Sport Serv., R309-2, BF104, V300, etc. you may find a couple at the National, but you will pay top $$ for it and then some.

PS.The days to buy Jewish player cards for the same $$ as a comparative player, are long gone. Especially the players with only oddball regional issues (ie Zeenut, etc.).

hofmichael

Sep 19, 2008
Albany,NY
The plus side to buying from Ebay is you will save money by not traveling or paying admission.Other than that face to face is the way to go.
Mike

Zan

Aug 12, 2008
NY, NY
fkw said:
Are you a Greenberg collector?, if so.... join the crowd :)

All depends on what cards (of Greenberg?) you are looking for?
And what type of collector you are or want to be?

Dont know if you are strictly a newschool slab collector or an oldschool hardcore player collector...
slab = usually want common high grade everyday cards already graded (cards seen/offered every day)
hardcore = one of every "type" of Greenberg card made........ some examples are wanted in "any condition" show "for sale" maybe 1 time every 3-5+ years if that.

The National is going to cost you more than eBay, but you may find some stuff that doesnt show on eBay often (ie Auction House extremely rare type cards).

If you are looking for one of the extremely common R320, R322, R323, R303, R318, R327, R314-1, R314-4, R334, R335, R336, etc. ............obviously shop around and bid on eBay for the best deal.

If you need an extremely tough Greenberg..... like a R314-5, 1934 Tiger Team Issue, 1940 Mich Sport Serv., R309-2, BF104, V300, etc. you may find a couple at the National, but you will pay top $$ for it and then some.

PS.The days to buy Jewish player cards for the same $$ as a comparative player, are long gone. Especially the players with only oddball regional issues (ie Zeenut, etc.).
You have a PM.

zan

Members online