Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

How many people base their buying decisions off of...

How often do you go with the flow?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Aug 7, 2008
Maryland
other forms of info? It's an honest question. How many people rely on others to give them ideas about who to buy instead of doing your own research? Remember the Marrero comparison in the rookie rolodex? Coastals hype threads? JP's ebay stalkers? All of these threads that are started whose primary purpose is to get info about prospects because of shear laziness and the lack of common knowledge. I'm sure alot of people would like to know the results. Lets just hope we can get some honsety. The poll is totally random so just be honest.

AKA Coastal

Aug 7, 2008
THREADKILLER-crohrer said:
other forms of info? It's an honest question. How many people rely on others to give them ideas about who to buy instead of doing your own research? Remember the Marrero comparison in the rookie rolodex? Coastals hype threads? JP's ebay stalkers? All of these threads that are started whose primary purpose is to get info about prospects because of shear laziness and the lack of common knowledge. I'm sure alot of people would like to know the results. Lets just hope we can get some honsety. The poll is totally random so just be honest.

I've slowed down on the hype threads. Its actually been awhile since I've done one. Even though I really enjoyed doing them. You would be suprised at how many people thanked me for them.

PS: Have I mentioned how good of an investment Brett Anderson Elite /549 Auto's are?

Aug 7, 2008
Maryland
If you enjoy it keep doing it. It's amazing to see that one opinion can have so much influence over others. It would actually be pretty entertaining if you were to pick someone like Corey Madden and casually throw posts out about him and then finish with a Coastal hype thread. Then let the Madden market go crazy!!!

AKA Coastal

Aug 7, 2008
If you enjoy it keep doing it. It's amazing to see that one opinion can have so much influence over others. It would actually be pretty entertaing if you were to pick someone like Corey Madden and casually throw posts out about him and then finish with a Coastal hype thread. Then let the Madden market go crazy!!!

Problem is I gain more enemies than friends doing it. I think i'll stick to the contest (atleast until MLB season rolls around :p).

AKA Coastal

Aug 7, 2008
Nice on the Anderson. I don't need him hyped I own all of his stuff and I'm not selling :D

I wish I had picked them up as early as you did. Great call.

kentuckyderby

Aug 7, 2008
was Chicago now Glendale AZ
When it is all said and done, the poll will show that vast majority of collectors will say that they do their own research and such but I am confident that there is a decent % that do go with the flow (whether it is based on a card in one's signature, stalking one's ebay account, a list one creates, a list one cuts and pastes from BA, etc)

I know of one board member that mentioned that they have been buying Holland autos and Collier autos only because another person he respects has been investing in them as well. He asked me if I thought that was a crazy move and I basically said that nobody is all-knowing except for our Lord Jesus Christ.

Same people who buy soley on BA rankings are the same guys who show up to the fantasy football draft and pick soley on what the magazine says. Loved it the one year Kordell Stewart was taken #1 overall and guess who was on the cover of the magazine??---Mr Slash himself

trademhigh

Aug 10, 2008
Nice on the Anderson. I don't need him hyped I own all of his stuff and I'm not selling :D
Good call on Anderson. I picked him up a ton when 07 Chrome released, but I slowed a little. I haven't moved anything of his to this date. My stash isn't impressive, but I have like 40 chromes, so I guess it's something.

trademhigh

Aug 10, 2008
kentuckyderby said:
When it is all said and done, the poll will show that vast majority of collectors will say that they do their own research and such but I am confident that there is a decent % that do go with the flow (whether it is based on a card in one's signature, stalking one's ebay account, a list one creates, a list one cuts and pastes from BA, etc)

I know of one board member that mentioned that they have been buying Holland autos and Collier autos only because another person he respects has been investing in them as well. He asked me if I thought that was a crazy move and I basically said that nobody is all-knowing except for our Lord Jesus Christ.

Same people who buy soley on BA rankings are the same guys who show up to the fantasy football draft and pick soley on what the magazine says. Loved it the one year Kordell Stewart was taken #1 overall and guess who was on the cover of the magazine??---Mr Slash himself
No offense, but speak for yourself. I respect your belief in Jesus, but I do not believe in him, and while many others here do many others also don't. So, can you please not say "our lord" when referring to him? Thanks man.

AKA Coastal

Aug 7, 2008
trademhigh said:
kentuckyderby said:

No offense, but speak for yourself. I respect your belief in Jesus, but I do not believe in him, and while many others here do many others also don't. So, can you please not say "our lord" when referring to him? Thanks man.

Whats he suppose to say? My lord? Get over it.

rainmanesq

Aug 31, 2008
I only buy what jp buys. There is no other research needed as jp is THE prospecting god and yes, i said the G word. Actually, like joe (jcmint), matt (ballerskrip), adam (necpilgrims), and a few others, I do my own research + do an extensive amount. Usually I bump up against the same few guys when bidding + have for years.

What I really love seeing is when people overlook the great prospects just b/c their name’s not hof laporta…bumgarner, anyone? Matt Dominguez? Ah, so nice to pick up blues, xs, refs, etc. when they’re dirt cheap b/c the 'crowd' is busy following the top 5 on BA's list. Pays off very handsomely when the ‘crowd’ discovers them ;)

Aug 7, 2008
Maryland
rainmanesq said:
I only buy what jp buys. There is no other research needed as jp is THE prospecting god and yes, i said the G word. Actually, like joe (jcmint), matt (ballerskrip), adam (necpilgrims), and a few others, I do my own research + do an extensive amount. Usually I bump up against the same few guys when bidding + have for years.

What I really love seeing is when people overlook the great prospects just b/c their name’s not hof laporta…bumgarner, anyone? Matt Dominguez? Ah, so nice to pick up blues, xs, refs, etc. when they’re dirt cheap b/c the 'crowd' is busy following the top 5 on BA's list. Pays off very handsomely when the ‘crowd’ discovers them ;)

Nicely put!

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
AKA Coastal said:
trademhigh said:
kentuckyderby said:

I think he's not supposed to say anything, that's the correct action.

It's common sense in a public setting where not everyone shares the same beliefs.

AKA Coastal

Aug 7, 2008
200lbhockeyplayer said:
AKA Coastal said:
trademhigh said:
kentuckyderby said:

I think he's not supposed to say anything, that's the correct action.

It's common sense in a public setting where not everyone shares the same beliefs.

He was quoting himself. Not directing the statement towards anyone.

Brett Keith

Aug 7, 2008
Peoria, IL
If you say you don't use other people's opinions and observations, you're a liar. If you don't use other peoples opinions and observations, you're an idiot.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
Most of the time the players I am buying are players/cards that most people feel are not great investments. That said, if someone has a tip or an idea that makes sense to me, a good lead never hurt anyone.

HoustonTeams4Me

Sep 9, 2008
I interpretted the OP's question as meaning if you see someone is buying or witing about "said" prospect & then begin to buy in on that prospect solely because of what someone else has written or is doing, and with that in mind I chose option "5" that I do not go with the flow as only dead fish yada, yada, yada. However, I see that other's in this thread are interpretting the OP's question differently, some going as far as basically writing that if you chose option 5 that you are a liar because we all use some type of information from someone else (well I do use other's information to help decide if I am to invest but I do not base my decision's "solely" on what another individual is doing or writing & that is what the OP was asking from us, if we use someone else's information & then buy in "solely" on the fact that another individual favor's, is buying, or hyping said-prospect (so I think some are skewing a bit off from the original post's meaning, but maybe my interpretation was incorrect?). Either way, it is always nice to have as much info. as possible & I try & listen to opposing sides before I get into investing into prospect's as I believe much can be learned from a healthy debate about a prospect's worth & relevance (it's always good to get as many fresh view's as possible, which is why I really enjoy these prospect thread's that have been popping up where the OP write a name in the title & basically lets everyone "have at it")! :D

Brett Keith

Aug 7, 2008
Peoria, IL
HoustonTeams4Me said:
However, I see that other's in this thread are interpretting the OP's question differently, some going as far as basically writing that if you chose option 5 that you are a liar because we all use some type of information from someone else.

I didn't know how to ineterpret the question, I think it was poorly worded, or explained poorly.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts