Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

San Diegan's - Help out a visitor :) Updated - Surf Day!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
I just got to the house we are renting in La Jolla and wondered if there are any suggestions from the board!

Today we went to cafe coyote for lunch

We are going to the Padres game tommorow. We got some really nice seats and are eating breakfast on the field pre-game.

We are surfing one day
Going to Coronado Island for one afternoon/dinner.

So, what else is a Must?
Is there a nice card shop that would be worth making the trip to?

What is your favorite restaurant???

Thanks all!

Skrip

jswaykos

Dec 10, 2009
San Diego, CA
Re: San Diegan's - Help out a visitor :)

People on here have recommended Clairemont Sports Cards, which isn't too far from La Jolla, but I've never been and can't vouch for it. My personal LCS is All Star Cards but it's all the way out in Santee... Not a vacation destination! There's a small Friday night card show each week at the Kings Inn in Mission Valley...

As for food, Mexican is a must.

Seiya

Aug 7, 2008
Chula Vista, CA

Phil's BBQ is awesome, super long line if you go after 1-2, try sitting at the bar and you can avoid the line.
3750 Sports Arena Boulevard, San Diego - (619) 226-6333

asmth312

Jan 17, 2009

San Diego is such a great city. No clue where you are in La Jolla but take a walk over to La Jolla cove if you can, it's just beautiful. There are usually a bunch of seals on the rocks and people walking around, things to see.

You should check out Torrey Pines one day, not the golf course necessarily unless you're a big fan, but the hiking there. The trails are nothing serious but the views are just amazing from up on the cliffs.

Opening day at Del Mar (horse track) is on Wednesday if you'll still be in town. There will be a huge turnout. It is a big deal in San Diego. Everyone gets dressed up and parties. Definitely an event even for people who couldn't care less about horseracing.

Not sure what your scene is as far as bars/clubs goes, but the area around the ballpark and a few blocks uptown has a lot of that to offer. It is more of an upscale (blazers and dresses on the weekend nights, girls looking for the guy with the thickest wallet) scene. If you're looking to go out somewhere more low key, Little Italy (India and Date St. vicinity) is awesome. So much great food, a few more laid back bars.

There's a place downtown on 6th between Broadway and C, I think, called Centre City Sports Cards or something like that. Amazing selection of wax, like all the way back to 2002 Bowman Draft last time I was in there. Boxes everywhere so it is a bit of a mess. But I never hear anyone else recommend it so maybe it only appeals to me.

You could take the breakfast challenge at the Broken Yolk cafe (as seen on Man v. Food), or just eat there. Good stuff.

There are just so many things to do there, you'll have a great trip!

FortyFour

Aug 7, 2008

if you want Great cheap Mexican check out Lucho Libre, Its like a 30 min wait but well worth it.

madbull34

Sep 10, 2009
San Diego, CA

Lucha Libre was featured on the Travel Channels Man vs Food a few weeks ago. Now the lines are crazy.

I'd recommend Bahia Don Bravo in La Jolla. The Lobster or Octopus burritos are to die for. Wash it down with some Mexican beer and watch the sunset from the patio.

5504 La Jolla Blvd
(between Midway St & Forward St)
La Jolla, CA 92037

http://bahiadonbravo.net/

boxbreaker44 said:
if you want Great cheap Mexican check out Lucho Libre, Its like a 30 min wait but well worth it.

rebelpawn

Aug 7, 2008
La Jolla. CA

As someone who lives in La Jolla, I do hope you enjoy our fair town.
All the other posters have great ideas for sure. Claremont Sportscards is the best in down for sure.
Center City is on 6 Ave, and it's pretty good but I prefer Claremont. Claremont will only have the newest wax though.
If you are staying in LJ, the cove is a must. Try Brockton Villa or the Marine Room for an amazing dining experience.
Have a good time and feel free to PM me if you have any questions or need anything!

jswaykos

Dec 10, 2009
San Diego, CA

I always forget about Centre City... I've never been. I'm hardly ever downtown, and I work just a few miles from All Star Cards, and they've got great prices and everything I could want (cheapy relics, junk wax, packs, supplies, etc) so there's no need for me to ever really go anywhere else. Next time I'm downtown, though, I'll have to swing in there and check things out.

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area

Sounds like I have a lot to do!!!!!

Thanks for all of the tips everyone. Pretty pumped about today. We are having breakfast on the field at Petco, then going to walk around the stadium, grab a hat, and maybe a jersey, and then of course watch the game!

We are renting a really sweet house. We ordered a pizza last night since we were just getting settled and the delivery guy told us that it was the coolest house he had ever delivered to.
Skrip

tedc2379

May 19, 2010
San Diego

Totally different atmosphere than La Jolla, but Hodad's in OB makes a tasty burger.

All Star Cards > Centre City

plus it's in Santee, the hometown of Strasburg

rebelpawn

Aug 7, 2008
La Jolla. CA

ballerskrip said:
rebelpawn said:
Sweet man, very cool. Where in LJ are ya? Maybe we're neighbors....

We are up on Soledad Mountain Rd?

Pretty cool view, nice place!

skrip

Ah very nice, I live about 5 minutes from there. That's a great neighborhood. Enjoy your stay!

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area

Just had breakfast on the warning track a the Padres game. Got some up close views of Brandon Webb, Dan Haren, Heath Bell, and Mat Latos.

Very cool! About to head to go take pictures with the Tony Gwynn statue.

Pretty awesome park!

Skrip

Members online

Latest posts