Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Travis Snider optioned to AA

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

aarne13

Oct 15, 2008
The Permian Basin
He was activated from the DL and immediately optioned to AA New Hampshire. Very odd. DeWayne Wise could have been sent down instead but Snider was left in AA. For whatever reason Cito doesn't seem to like him. (Snider was one of the players that voiced their displeasure with Cito at the end of last season). I wonder if there is a move coming up or if Snider is still not 100%. hmmmmmm :?

boomo

Sep 14, 2008
cgilmo said:
eventually you gotta take the glasses off and see a player for what he is

If Snider is gonna make it, hes gonna have a short run due to a long development process.

very well said chris.

snider will just get in line behind brandon wood, jd drew, jermey hermida, andy laroche, etc etc

aarne13

Oct 15, 2008
The Permian Basin
One of the issues with the Jays is that Cito has no need for young players and bench players. Snider had turned it around before he got injured. Now that they Jays have picked up a couple of vets (Lewis, Wise) Cito wouldn't even think of putting Snider back in. So unless something is in the works the only way that Snider makes it back up to Toronto is by a trade/injury.

He is only 22 so he is not even close to being a bust.

EricInCT

Jan 8, 2009
aarne13 said:
He was activated from the DL and immediately optioned to AA New Hampshire. Very odd. DeWayne Wise could have been sent down instead but Snider was left in AA. For whatever reason Cito doesn't seem to like him. (Snider was one of the players that voiced their displeasure with Cito at the end of last season). I wonder if there is a move coming up or if Snider is still not 100%. hmmmmmm :?

relax dude, he just needs to get the rust off.

MacK

Aug 7, 2008
cgilmo said:

If Snider is gonna make it, hes gonna have a short run due to a long development process.

A short run? A short run of a MLB career?

He's only 22 though..?

MacK

Aug 7, 2008
EricInCT said:
aarne13 said:

relax dude, he just needs to get the rust off.

That's what I was thinking.

He hasn't played since what, May? 2 months? Rehab stints aren't uncommon.

Lars

Aug 25, 2008
Snider got to the Major Leagues pretty young, but obviously he wasn't the polished product the Blue Jays expected.

I assume he is in the minors not because the team wants to bury him, but so he can take a step back and breath.

aarne13 said:
Snider could have easily been back before the AS break. Now he has to stay in AA for the next 10 days.

braden

Aug 7, 2008
Skorris CCBC said:
cgilmo said:

He's only 22 though..?

And has a career .766 OPS.....as a 22 year-old. That comment makes no sense at all.

pigskincardboard

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
braden said:
Skorris CCBC said:
cgilmo said:

He's only 22 though..?

And has a career .766 OPS.....as a 22 year-old. That comment makes no sense at all.

The Jays have pretty much taken the worst possible route with Snider. For the life of me, I don't understand it. Cito's always been a weird cat but he's stunted Snider's development more than an awful manager like John Gibbons ever would've.

They knew coming into this year that it was mainly mental with the kid and they told him, "Listen, you'll get your AB every day, regardless of how you perform." Yet for some reason, the Jays are content with an lineup of Wells, Lewis, Bautista, Lind, Encarnacion and Overbay.

Explain to me what the hell is the point of having prospects with terrific upside if you're going to sit them in favor of Lyle Overbay?

If you bring a 21-year old kid up, get him his damn ABs. Otherwise, keep him in the minors. The same was true for Adam Lind who despite doing quite well bounced around between leagues so that John McDonald, Kevin Mench, Shannon Stewart and a plethora of ****-eaters could play Left-Field.

It's like the Jays are determined to break the wills of any young kid they bring up. "Well, Son, you'll have to pay your dues now that you're up in the big leagues."

If a prospect has enough talent to get the call then put him in a position to succeed, at least for a while. If you're going to bat them ahead of pitchers and guy's with OBP of .300, please don't be surprised when they have strike out issues.

I can guarantee you that just about every youngster will get frustrated and start striking out at a pretty steady clip if all they see is junk because the next bat in the line-up is a scrub.

braden

Aug 7, 2008
pigskincardboard said:
braden said:
Skorris CCBC said:
cgilmo said:

He's only 22 though..?

The Jays have pretty much taken the worst possible route with Snider. For the life of me, I don't understand it. Cito's always been a weird cat but he's stunted Snider's development more than an awful manager like John Gibbons ever would've.

They knew coming into this year that it was mainly mental with the kid and they told him, "Listen, you'll get your AB every day, regardless of how you perform." Yet for some reason, the Jays are content with an lineup of Wells, Lewis, Bautista, Lind, Encarnacion and Overbay.

Explain to me what the hell is the point of having prospects with terrific upside if you're going to sit them in favor of Lyle Overbay?

If you bring a 21-year old kid up, get him his damn ABs. Otherwise, keep him in the minors. The same was true for Adam Lind who despite doing quite well bounced around between leagues so that John McDonald, Kevin Mench, Shannon Stewart and a plethora of quit swearing could play Left-Field.

It's like the Jays are determined to break the wills of any young kid they bring up. "Well, Son, you'll have to pay your dues now that you're up in the big leagues."

If a prospect has enough talent to get the call then put him in a position to succeed, at least for a while. If you're going to bat them ahead of pitchers and guy's with OBP of .300, please don't be surprised when they have strike out issues.

I can guarantee you that just about every youngster will get frustrated and start striking out at a pretty steady clip if all they see is junk because the next bat in the line-up is a scrub.

When Gaston had a positive influence on Lind back in '08, I wondered if maybe he'd mellowed in his approach with the younger guys. Nope.

I know AA has his hands tied with Gaston being his manager for this season but the end truly can't come quickly enough. I just wish EE had been moved yesterday- for anything- just so it relieved this logjam that's going to cost Snider playing time. It's unfortunate that Snider's injury came when it did. He was destroying the ball and seemed poised to move up in the line-up. Alas, it looks like we'll see him batting 9th (when he plays) for the foreseeable future.

pigskincardboard

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
It just doesn't make sense, at all. Snider, like every young player ever, hits fastballs well and has issues with off-speed stuff. So instead of putting him in a position to hit fastballs, they've stuck him in a position where he's basically waiting on off-speed stuff 99% of the time and actually missing fastballs. The worst approach you can take with a young kid is to have him playing for his job. Whether it's Snider, Heyward, or Rasmus, if they're going into each AB with the idea that they have to make an impact or risk being moved down or benched, they'll swing for the fences.

I just can't believe that the Jays would give Cito the pieces that allow him to work Cito ball.

Seriously, why is our leadoff spot getting on-base at like a .300 Clip? Whether it's Wise? Gonzalez? or even Lewis (.350ish,) there's just no reason why any of these guys should be hitting lead-off. How do you force Cito to put Escobar at the top of the order? Furthermore, there's basically no reason in hell that anyone should be seeing strikes.

You can look up and down this line-up and quite simply cry.

Overbay has a .750 OPS and EE has a .745 OPS but both bat ahead of John Buck? Adam Lind's .659 and Aaron Hill's .649 OPS seem to be absolutely cemented in the middle of the order.

Yesterday, AA said that a bunch of trades made sense value-wise but didn't make sense for the organization.

I genuinely think that the Jays batting order would score more runs if they went 9-1 instead of 1-9.

I can't express my hatred for Cito Gaston enough.

Members online

Latest posts