Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

NHL Rejects Kovalchuk's 17-Year Deal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

G $MONEY$

Feb 8, 2009
Calgary
we were just talking about this earlier tonight at work (hours before i just read this news), how we thought that this contract was so long because they were trying to lower their cap hit. guess it was true and good on the league for stepping in and stopping this BS. Now watch Kovy go and sign else where.

thehamiltonian

Mar 7, 2009
Canada
I don't think this is going to stand up for very long, I think a very similar deal will still get done for Kovalchuk. The deal just isn't that different from the contracts signed by Hossa, Zetterberg, Luongo and to a certain degree - Pronger.

It might have to be tweaked, but there is nothing in the rules against it, and its ridiculous for the NHL to try to quash one of the long term deals.

G $MONEY$

Feb 8, 2009
Calgary
NEW YORK -- National Hockey League Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly today issued the following statement regarding the free agent contract forward Ilya Kovalchuk signed with the New Jersey Devils: "The contract has been rejected by the League as a circumvention of the Collective Bargaining Agreement. Under the CBA, the contract rejection triggers a number of possible next steps that may be elected by any or each of the NHLPA, the Player and/or the Club. In the interim, the player is not entitled to play under the contract, nor is he entitled to any of the rights and benefits that are provided for thereunder. The League will have no further comment on this matter pending further developments."

Members online