Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

I wish Pedro Alvarez had a chrome auto

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sportzluvr1

Jan 16, 2009
Jaypers said:
Take your time, Topps.

Wouldn't buy Razor if it was the only thing on the market.......

Guess that's why i don't have any Alvarez stuff?** :benson:

-Gauge.

****Not a fan of USA either :|

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
Blame Topps for not ponying up the money to sign him to an exclusive contract. They got outbid by an upstart company with 1/1000th of the financial resources as them

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
JoshHamilton said:
Blame Topps for not ponying up the money to sign him to an exclusive contract. They got outbid by an upstart company with 1/1000th of the financial resources as them

Topps just isn't serious about being a good baseball card producer.

They're ok with being below-average from pretty much every aspect since they are the only baseball card producers and don't have to be anything more than that. It's a crying shame that they wouldn't really take advantage of exclusivity and prove that they are all the hobby needs for baseball.

Crash Davis

Aug 19, 2008
JoshHamilton said:

Topps doesn't sign prospects to exclusive contracts, with the exception of Stephen Strasburg. Never had previously in baseball, anyway.

Crash Davis

Aug 19, 2008
ALL_THE_HYPE said:
JoshHamilton said:

They're ok with being below-average from pretty much every aspect since they are the only baseball card producers and don't have to be anything more than that. It's a crying shame that they wouldn't really take advantage of exclusivity and prove that they are all the hobby needs for baseball.

Out of curiousity, why do you think they're not serious about being a good baseball card producer?

They released one of their best Bowman products in years, and virtually every baseball product they've released is selling well over cost, and in some cases well over SRP.

They spent an arm-and-a-leg to sign Strasburg to an exclusive contract, as well.

What more do you want? Maybe they should just put free cards in an envelope and send them to you.

bmc398

May 25, 2009
NECpilgrims8 said:
P_Manning 18 said:
2010 Topps Chrome will be here before ya know it.

Still doesn't mean there will be an auto.

Exclusive is exclusive.
Wrong....

If he makes the MLB he can have a card in any MLBPA set. I don't think at this point they could squeeze him into Topps Chrome but im sure theyd include him in whatever releases they could down the line. Not 100% sure of the Razor contract, but im pretty sure as far as auto exclusives go, they go out the window too once the guy is on the roster. Maybe BG can clarify.

Anyways....to ALL THE HYPEs point...I think that if somebody was going to buy up all the prospects as exclusives like Razor did in 2008 Topps would step up to the plate and do better than they did last time. They wouldn't get them all im sure, but they'd do a better job in securing a checklsit than they did in 2008. Of course, if Razor hadn't have done that....there would be no 2008 Jesus Montero chrome autos. Maybe it was a blessing in disguise? lol.

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
Alpharetta, Georgia, United States
Crash Davis said:
[quote="ALL_THE_HYPE":et2w54bh]
JoshHamilton said:

Out of curiousity, why do you think they're not serious about being a good baseball card producer?

They released one of their best Bowman products in years, and virtually every baseball product they've released is selling well over cost, and in some cases well over SRP.

They spent an arm-and-a-leg to sign Strasburg to an exclusive contract, as well.

What more do you want? Maybe they should just put free cards in an envelope and send them to you.[/quote:et2w54bh]

The Strasburg contract was a NO BRAINER and isn't as expensive as it could have been.

I am not saying they aren't serious about all this, because I don't believe that. However the Strasburg move was one that anyone in that position would have said yes too.

Crash Davis

Aug 19, 2008
bmc398 said:
NECpilgrims8 said:
P_Manning 18 said:
2010 Topps Chrome will be here before ya know it.

Exclusive is exclusive.
Wrong....

If he makes the MLB he can have a card in any MLBPA set. I don't think at this point they could squeeze him into Topps Chrome but im sure theyd include him in whatever releases they could down the line. Not 100% sure of the Razor contract, but im pretty sure as far as auto exclusives go, they go out the window too once the guy is on the roster. Maybe BG can clarify.

Anyways....to ALL THE HYPEs point...I think that if somebody was going to buy up all the prospects as exclusives like Razor did in 2008 Topps would step up to the plate and do better than they did last time. They wouldn't get them all im sure, but they'd do a better job in securing a checklsit than they did in 2008. Of course, if Razor hadn't have done that....there would be no 2008 Jesus Montero chrome autos. Maybe it was a blessing in disguise? lol.

Nothing is as cut-and-dry as you, or HYPE, are making it out to be.

We've had this discussion many times before on these Boards. Razor paid a lot of money to sign these propsects, most of whom haven't panned out.

Hindsight is 20-20 with respect to Pedro Alvarez and a couple of others, but in most cases those exclusive players haven't turned out well.

bmc398

May 25, 2009
Crash Davis said:
bmc398 said:
NECpilgrims8 said:
[quote="P_Manning 18":1uduaa7c]2010 Topps Chrome will be here before ya know it.

Exclusive is exclusive.
Wrong....

Nothing is as cut-and-dry as you, or HYPE, are making it out to be.

We've had this discussion many times before on these Boards. Razor paid a lot of money to sign these propsects, most of whom haven't panned out.

Hindsight is 20-20 with respect to Pedro Alvarez and a couple of others, but in most cases those exclusive players haven't turned out well.[/quote:1uduaa7c]
I dont get what you are saying isnt cut and dry....are you speaking about the Razor contracts, as im pretty sure it was a 3 year deal for everything until they got called up. Ive heard about 1000 different things about the autos but what BG told me over the phone slips my mind right now. Pretty sure that once they hit the roster they were free to do as they pleased.

I agree that a lot of their exclusives havent panned out, but there are a lot who have whos debut was less hyped in the hobby (seeing their name on the boards, seeing their name ins B/S/T) because there was no chrome.

People know how I feel about Razor, and im not getting into that, but as far as going forward is concearned I think its silly to say that Topps would let this happen again. They loaded up 2010 Bowman and didn't have to (adding Castro, Teheran and Heyward autos last minute was huge...not to mention adding the USA chrome guys) and have been pretty on point with what they have done this year vs. years past. Sure, they aren't going to pony up $18 an auto to have Tony No-name sign like Razor did but if other companies target the guys on their list they'll come to the table and pay for the ones they really want.

Them having to cut the production run of 2008 and 2009 draft really opened their eyes in my opinion to what it takes to get the Draft brand where it needs to be if they want to sell it like they used to (2003-2007). They may cut draft all together soon...but if they dont look for them to make some noise in the prospect market. Post 2008 Topps has done a really really good job.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
Crash Davis said:
[quote="ALL_THE_HYPE":36cef714]
JoshHamilton said:

What more do you want? Maybe they should just put free cards in an envelope and send them to you.[/quote:36cef714]

1. You don't think the fact that their products are the only products available has anything to do with why everything is selling way over cost? Because it does. Also consider how long Bowman was the only product with Strasburg cards. 2010 Bowman was a good, but not outstanding product. If it weren't for Strasburg mania, 10 Bowman wouldn't have been half as successful as it was.

2. As has been mentioned, signing Strasburg was as obvious as it gets.

3. I'm not looking for free anything. To suggest that tells me that you're completely missing the point of my post. The hobby giant should never be outbid by a small newcomer of a company. Kudos to Razor for making this happen. But while that was happening was when Topps needed to pony up and decide, no, this isn't how it's going to be. WE'RE the baseball prospect company and we're not going to be outbid. But instead, Matt Wieters has played in 175+Major League games and I still see nothing when I search "Wieters Topps" on eBay.

bmc398

May 25, 2009
ALL_THE_HYPE said:
[quote="Crash Davis":1kitqi9a][quote="ALL_THE_HYPE":1kitqi9a]
JoshHamilton said:

What more do you want? Maybe they should just put free cards in an envelope and send them to you.[/quote:1kitqi9a]

1. You don't think the fact that their products are the only products available has anything to do with why everything is selling way over cost? Because it does. Also consider how long Bowman was the only product with Strasburg cards. 2010 Bowman was a good, but not outstanding product. If it weren't for Strasburg mania, 10 Bowman wouldn't have been half as successful as it was.

2. As has been mentioned, signing Strasburg was as obvious as it gets.

3. I'm not looking for free anything. To suggest that tells me that you're completely missing the point of my post. The hobby giant should never be outbid by a small newcomer of a company. Kudos to Razor for making this happen. But while that was happening was when Topps needed to pony up and decide, no, this isn't how it's going to be. WE'RE the baseball prospect company and we're not going to be outbid. But instead, Matt Wieters has played in 175+Major League games and I still see nothing when I search "Wieters Topps" on eBay.[/quote:1kitqi9a]

You are way undervaluing what Topps did in 2010 Bowman. Even without Stras that would have been a $200 box anyways. They didnt have to put in autos of Heyward, Castro and Teheran but those are probably 3 of the top 8 autos in that product and they were a super late addition. THey've also been super quick to get out new rookies (liek Meija, Leake and the like) in normal issue sets, when in the past it would take them until early September to include the guys who were new debuts in the season.

As far as Razor goes....they waayyyyy overpaid for a lot of those guys. BG claims they turned a profit....I don't see it with how much they paid some of those guys. As far as getting outbid in 2008 it never shoudl have happened, I agree but what are you going to do when somebody is paying way over market to sign the guys? I don't like what Topps ended up doing but to say they should have ponied up and competed for more than like 10 of those guys is off base.

Draft is a brand that they don't really want to put out. Hard for them to make any money off of it because when it comes out and they sell it its not really worth their time. Rarely is there a guy who drives sales out of the gate and in bad years they have a hard time in moving it (look at 2009...while some of the guys have taken off, there were no real surefire guys driving demand upon release). They'd rather save the guy for next year or down the line when there's MiLB stats and a following because that helps drive the presell demand. This is what happened big time with 2010 Bowman...I remember cases jumping like $80 each time that Heyward and Castro were announced as additions.

With Topps stepping up this year, its hard to make the arguement that they won't in the future when it comes to the contracts of worthwhile prospects.

Members online