Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Who would the Cardinals have to give up for Oswalt?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DRav87

Aug 11, 2008
Wisconsin
If the Cardinals were to trade for Roy Oswalt who do you think they would have to give up? Could the Astros maybe get Jamie Garica in the deal?

Codasco07

Aug 7, 2008
DC/StL
Reds in 2009 said:
If the Cardinals were to trade for Roy Oswalt who do you think they would have to give up? Could the Astros maybe get Jamie Garica in the deal?

Jaime won't be traded. It's hard to imagine the Cards getting Oswalt or Haren without parting with Shelby Miller.

RCRX

Sep 4, 2009
Reds in 2009 said:

Shelby Miller, Jon Jay..dont think it will happen. If you look at our current payroll and what it will be in 2011..our pitching staff alone with Oswalt would be 50 mil. That with a 100 mil payroll aint gonna cut it. Then comes 2012 with Alberts contract. Carp will be done with his contract in 2012 so guess could swap out Oswalt cash for Carp cash.
If we include Oswalt in the 2012 season along with Luddy..we will be paying 11 players 101 mil.. We are not the Yankees..will never work.
I would love him to come but the 16 mil he wants in 2012 is a deal breaker. We cant pay him 16 mil in 2012 and Albert 28 mil to 30 mil. Need to keep Miller and gut it out in my humble opinion..

cubfan131

Aug 18, 2008
If the Astros pay most/all of Oswalt's salary then they might get a guy like Miller back but I don't think the Astros are willing to do that. Other then Miller the Cardinals system is probably one of the worst in baseball so there isn't much else the Astros would want. And no there is zero chance the Cardinals would trade Garcia for Oswalt that would be counterproductive to trading for a pitcher.

rookieaddict

Nov 13, 2008
In my head it's Miller, Allen Craig, and Eduardo Sanchez. But that's only with the Astros picking up a substantial chunk of Oswalts contract.

19braves77

Oct 23, 2008
Pensacola, FL
I would rather have Dan Haren. Get a 3rd team to make it happen for the Cardinals.

Tigers: Stephen Drew and Chris Snyder

Cardinals: Dan Haren

D-Backs: Shelby Miller, Rick Porcello, Daryl Jones, and Eduardo Sanchez

Codasco07

Aug 7, 2008
DC/StL
rookieaddict said:
I'd rather have haren as well, much much cheaper.

Agreed. I'm not a big Oswalt fan. If we're trading Miller, I'd much rather us get Haren. I also wouldn't mind picking up either Kelly Johnson or Stephen Drew in such a trade. I don't think it's a stretch to say Schumaker, Miles, Ryan, and Tyler Greene (primary 2B/SS) are all in the bottom 5 players on the team.

hail2thevictors

Jan 20, 2010
19braves77 said:
I would rather have Dan Haren. Get a 3rd team to make it happen for the Cardinals.

Keep dreaming.

The Tigers aren't dealing Rick Porcello for Stephen Drew and Chris Snyder. The only way I see Porcello leaving is if the Tigers get Dan Haren. There is just no way they are dealing an arm like Porcello for Drew and Snyder.

craiger122003

Aug 7, 2008
vegas
I think Miller only goes if Haren is involved Hopefully Drew or Johnson can be added as well
If so Miller,Jay and one or 2 others could be had
But if we make that trade our minor system is worth a handful of nickels afterwards

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
hail2thevictors said:
19braves77 said:

Keep dreaming.

The Tigers aren't dealing Rick Porcello for Stephen Drew and Chris Snyder. The only way I see Porcello leaving is if the Tigers get Dan Haren. There is just no way they are dealing an arm like Porcello for Drew and Snyder.

I read in a couple different articles that the Tigers are absolutely not making Porcello available for trade. And I don't blame them, his stock has to be a bit low right now until he proves his last start wasn't a fluke (hopefully he does it again tomorrow :cool: ). But I was happy to hear they aren't giving up on the 21 year old after a bad start to his second season.

This may be a bit bold for some people's liking, but I think Porcello will be good for 200-300 wins in his career, assuming he stays healthy.

As far as the Cardinals getting Oswalt, I don't think they have enough money to make it happen. It's not about the players, it's more about the fact that Albert Pujols is about to get 30 million dollars in 2012.

MacK

Aug 7, 2008
Jaime Garcia? No way. You don't trade 23 year old lefties with era's just over 2.00 after the all-star break for nearly anyone. Houston may want him, but they're not getting him.

I don't see Houston taking on Ludwick or Jay. Lee-Bourn-Pence seems just fine.

Don't want to deal Eduardo Sanchez. I like him being Franklin's heir apparent.

Some prospects that could be in play, in my mind atleast..

Shelby Miller (The centerpiece, if added, not much more to the deal than him)
Daniel Descalso (Mainly a throw in, but Houston needs Middle Infield help)
Allen Craig (People are really overvaluing him right now. He's 26. Could be Joe Mather 2.0. Could be Houston's 1B next year though too.)
Mark Hamilton (Lefty 1B, already 26, but could be a decent 1B. Not much power, but not too bad of a player. Just a throw-in.)
Daryl Jones (Replacement for Lee in a couple years?)
Fernando Salas
Francisco Samuel
Casey Mulligan
Tyler Henley
Pete Kozma

As for the Cardinals, their payroll is only at $94M this year. They have about $16M to play with, or so, but of course, you have to resign Pujols. Maybe DeWitt would open up the wallet even further, who knows.

Members online

Latest posts