Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Anyone Here Play College Baseball

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

C-Note92

Aug 7, 2008
I'm starting my first year at Merrimack College in the fall, it's a DII school in Massachusetts and I will be pitching, just thought it'd be interesting if anyone else on here played in college. I would also like to know what to expect, I've been trying to lift during the summer and running to get ready but my legion schedule is rough with double headers or practices almost every day. Also if anyone has any good time management strategies that would be very helpful as well.

klute14

Dec 4, 2008
Maine
I was a Closer for a NAIA school in Maine and I can tell you, it's a full time job.
You will probably have a fall schedule until mid October and then start off season workout programs right after extending through Christmas break.
Once break ended and we were back on campus, practices started in the gym until we left for our spring trip in the middle of March.
Our schedule up North started when we got home or when the snow melted, which ever came first. Then for the next 2 months, lookout, games gallore!

Make sure that you are dedicated to your shoulder program because you will have to call on it when you are in the midst of multiple double headers on the weekends!

Good luck!

C-Note92

Aug 7, 2008
klute14 said:
I was a Closer for a NAIA school in Maine and I can tell you, it's a full time job.
You will probably have a fall schedule until mid October and then start off season workout programs right after extending through Christmas break.
Once break ended and we were back on campus, practices started in the gym until we left for our spring trip in the middle of March.
Our schedule up North started when we got home or when the snow melted, which ever came first. Then for the next 2 months, lookout, games gallore!

Make sure that you are dedicated to your shoulder program because you will have to call on it when you are in the midst of multiple double headers on the weekends!

Good luck!

Yeah I'm ready to make that kind of committment, I'm just afraid I'm gonna be behind the rest of the team because I haven't been able to get in the gym as often as I want to but I'm excited for the fall and can't wait for the challenge.

cbrandtw

Sep 12, 2008
Daphne, AL
I played way back when you were being born. Things are so much different now than they were then. I can't offer any advice other than don't forget it's a game. It sounds as if you are well enough prepared since 90% of the game is mental and the other half is physical. Have fun and good luck.

KLARNOLD

Sep 17, 2008
Owensboro, KY
P90X will improve your strength and endurance. I finished it in April and am getting ready to start my second round here in August. You will have to be committed and devote an hour a day (1.5 hours when doing yoga) for 90 days. I wish I had this program back when I was in high school playing baseball (I'm 40 now).

howardpwr06

May 13, 2010
Pennsylvania
I played my freshman year at a DII school in PA. It was a lot of work, we had 6 am lifts until 8. class at 9 to about 3. practice at 5-8. study session 10-11. That was the off season. We would leave in mid-february to go down south and play tournaments until about mid-march when we came back and started our regular season. Take my advice and really stick to the summer lifting program (if you get one, which you probably will). Don't pay as much attention to playing as you do to the summer workouts, thats how I got cut. I didn't take them as seriously as I should have and didn't come back at the right weight or strength (too light and too weak). Good luck, and remember, concentrate more on your grades and career path than baseball, that's what you're going to college for.

buck724

Jul 22, 2010
Hey-

Congrats! That's awesome you have a chance to play college ball. I didn't personally, but my uncle was pitched for WSU (Washington State Univ.) back when they were pretty good, and was drafted twice (once out of hs, and once after WSU). Anyways lol, he's coming up to visit and spend time with family so I'll ask him of any advice and whatnot. Best of luck man!

C-Note92

Aug 7, 2008
Just thought I'd give everyone an update, even though most of you probably don't care, lol. Everythings been going pretty well so far, it's definitely a huge committment, We've been practicing every day, today was supposed to be my only day off this week, but instead we had a captain's practice. I've pitched 1 inning in an intersquad so far and I K'ed two kids and the coach told me that I'll probably be jumping right in and getting some innings. Definitely more running than I thought there would be, that's for sure. I'm excited for this weekend though, our first fall game is in Lowell on Saturday at the Lowell Spinner's stadium then we have a doubleheader on Sunday here at our home field. If anyone cares I will keep updating.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
C-Note92 said:
Just thought I'd give everyone an update, even though most of you probably don't care, lol. Everythings been going pretty well so far, it's definitely a huge committment, We've been practicing every day, today was supposed to be my only day off this week, but instead we had a captain's practice. I've pitched 1 inning in an intersquad so far and I K'ed two kids and the coach told me that I'll probably be jumping right in and getting some innings. Definitely more running than I thought there would be, that's for sure. I'm excited for this weekend though, our first fall game is in Lowell on Saturday at the Lowell Spinner's stadium then we have a doubleheader on Sunday here at our home field. If anyone cares I will keep updating.

Keep the updates coming. Running is a big part of it especially if you're a pitcher. I can't even count the number of poles we ran while the position players dicked around during batting practice.

TomMurry

Jan 30, 2010
Eastern PA
I pitched for 3 years for a DII NAIA baseball powerhouse school and it becomes your life. You have to plan around lifting and practice, your games take precedence over your friends. Its definitely a job, but you will have experiences unlike anything else in college.
Good Luck

C-Note92

Aug 7, 2008
ALL_THE_HYPE said:
[quote="C-Note92":2m83b6ch]Just thought I'd give everyone an update, even though most of you probably don't care, lol. Everythings been going pretty well so far, it's definitely a huge committment, We've been practicing every day, today was supposed to be my only day off this week, but instead we had a captain's practice. I've pitched 1 inning in an intersquad so far and I K'ed two kids and the coach told me that I'll probably be jumping right in and getting some innings. Definitely more running than I thought there would be, that's for sure. I'm excited for this weekend though, our first fall game is in Lowell on Saturday at the Lowell Spinner's stadium then we have a doubleheader on Sunday here at our home field. If anyone cares I will keep updating.

Keep the updates coming. Running is a big part of it especially if you're a pitcher. I can't even count the number of poles we ran while the position players dicked around during batting practice.[/quote:2m83b6ch]

Yeah I ran 16 poles yesterday for the one inning I threw. Did ab work inbetween them which made it worse.

C-Note92

Aug 7, 2008
Hey guys, just figured I'd shoot you all an update, been really busy this past week, last Saturday we played UMass Lowell, went 2 inning's and struck out 3 and gave up one hit. Coaches told my roomate and I we might jump in the rotation right away, have an intersquad later today so hopefully everything continues to go well.

Aug 7, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
I'd played up until last week. Was throwing very well in the fall, but battling through some shoulder pain. The pain finally gave in and I'll be out for an extended amount of time, so won't be playing. The best advice I could give on top of the running, lifting, throwing, etc. would be focus on stretching and don't take it lightly. What really hurt me was my lack of internal rotation. I worked hard on strenthening my shoulder with various exercises, but didn't take the necessary steps in stretching until it was too late. Hope all continues to go well for you!

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont
C-Note92 said:
I'm starting my first year at Merrimack College in the fall, it's a DII school in Massachusetts and I will be pitching, just thought it'd be interesting if anyone else on here played in college. I would also like to know what to expect, I've been trying to lift during the summer and running to get ready but my legion schedule is rough with double headers or practices almost every day. Also if anyone has any good time management strategies that would be very helpful as well.

You gonna look into the NECBL for Summer playing?

C-Note92

Aug 7, 2008
vwnut13 said:
C-Note92 said:

If I can get onto an NECBL team I definitely will, it all depends on how the spring season goes though

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont
C-Note92 said:
vwnut13 said:
[quote="C-Note92":2cdmz4fa]I'm starting my first year at Merrimack College in the fall, it's a DII school in Massachusetts and I will be pitching, just thought it'd be interesting if anyone else on here played in college. I would also like to know what to expect, I've been trying to lift during the summer and running to get ready but my legion schedule is rough with double headers or practices almost every day. Also if anyone has any good time management strategies that would be very helpful as well.

If I can get onto an NECBL team I definitely will, it all depends on how the spring season goes though[/quote:2cdmz4fa]

Try out for the Vermont Mountaineers.

We make cards for the team.

dunn-1.jpg

Vermont, Keene, and Sanford all get real good crowds. 3,000+ at times.

Some teams, like Lowell and Bristol, get 50+.

bradical

Jun 21, 2009
Played some club ball in college, but dedicated too much of my free time to girls and beer rather than strength and conditioning.

beefycheddar

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
If your year goes well, and you want a slot at the Cape League try out, feel free to contact me. I can get you on the list.

Members online