Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Interesting Tidbit from MLB2K10

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pigskincardboard

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
I found this interesting, confusing, or just plain old funny.

In "My Player" mode, they have a section called records which contains all the various records for Game, Season, Career. Well, it took me a while to realize it but the single season home-run leader is Mark McGwire with 70 HR. Barry Bonds has been completely eliminated from the history books. Before you chime in with Bonds' history with the MLBPA and various licensing; baseball records and statistics are facts and fall within the public domain. No likeness of Bonds is used, it's simply the record books. There's a reason why facts can't be "owned" and "sold/licensed" and that's to prevent history from being rewritten.

I just find this to be very strange considering that they were well within their legal rights to have Barry Bonds as the single season HR champ.

Fandruw25

Aug 25, 2008
I don't think bonds is associated with the MLBPA anymore and any game that would include his likeness would have to pay him some royalties. If Bonds name were on the records then people would want to play as him and wonder why he is not a playable character....I don't think it's "been erased from the history books."

pigskincardboard

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
Fandruw25 said:
I don't think bonds is associated with the MLBPA anymore and any game that would include his likeness would have to pay him some royalties. If Bonds name were on the records then people would want to play as him and wonder why he is not a playable character....I don't think it's "been erased from the history books."

I haven't checked to see if all of the players that appear in "Records" are playable but are you saying that it's better to list McGwire as the single season HR leader than it would be to have the records correct and just not have a playable Bonds character. I will definitely look into it because if I'm able to play as Cecil Cooper (11 AB / 1G,) he's definitely going to be playing for the Astros. Firing him with 13 Games left?!?1 Who does such a horrible thing?

"Sir, we can't get Bonds' rights!"
"Well, since we can't get his rights, he's no longer the HR leader! Players of this game will now only have to hit 70HR to be the single season leader"
"Sir, the Williams estate is asking too much"
"Well, guess what Teddy Ball-Game? Bill Terry is now the last person to hit .400"

Members online

Latest posts