Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Mariners Dugout Tussle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stu

Jan 24, 2010
Don is a disciple of Buck Showalter. Players will revolt at some point.

Moonlight Graham

Aug 7, 2008
Renton, WA
This may just be one of the most disfunctional teams ever assembled. Mario Mendoza could bat 5th in this lineup. We are halfway through the season, and Alonzo Powell is STILL the hitting coach.

Shi Guy

Jul 23, 2010
Seattle, Wa
This just goes to show how much of a difference the Sr. leadership of Sweeney and Griffey made. It was good to see Branyan stepping in and taking responsibility. It's a good indication of what losing can do to a team that still cares.

After tonights game Figgins was VERY defensive about the subject and when asked if he and Wak were on the same page he responded with "It's hard to say. The same page to me is winning..." Sounds to me like things haven't been resolved yet.

RandomH

motherofgod.jpg

donrusscrusademan

Sep 2, 2009
Figgins is like a poor mans Ramirez.

nearly every player had a massive slump but Ichiro for the 1st 81 games of the season, yet he was the only one of the not to have to share time with a bench player. he also kept his 2 hole spot during that time, and still has it. the second he had to play the 8th spot one day he had a shitfit.
and now he is being lazy and a manager tells him the truth?

this is what happens when a a-hole gets a large contract. :|

donrusscrusademan

Sep 2, 2009
Moonlight Graham said:
This may just be one of the most disfunctional teams ever assembled. Mario Mendoza could bat 5th in this lineup. We are halfway through the season, and Alonzo Powell is STILL the hitting coach.

good for them. I hate when someone gets the axe for a bunch of others fault. a listless group like that cant really be tought, I bet he is doing the best he can... probably just focusing on Smoak and Saunders.

Shi Guy

Jul 23, 2010
Seattle, Wa
It has been mentioned that the Angels are an excellent evaluator of the talent on their team and, while I think they underestimated just how much Vlad wanted to prove them wrong, I think the Lackey and Figgin's trades have proved this. They knew their talent was declining.

chompsmcgee

Jan 24, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
The M's are in last place playing poor quality baseball. Tempers are going to flare. People are going to fight.

The only difference between this and any other underachieving team in last is that this scuffle happened in public. Like Snore-gate incident w/Junior, if the media didn't know about it this a non-issue.

Sly

Aug 7, 2008
A couple things:

1. "Powell is STILL the Hitting Coach." Powell took over about 2-3 months ago. He hasn't even been hitting coach the entire season.
2. Someone mentioned the Angels and the Lackey and Figgins "trades". Neither were traded, both left as Free Agents.
3. Figgins can say "the same page to me is winning..." all he wants, but the .229 average and .597 OPS is flat out ridiculous. "Winning" isn't helped when your #2 hitter is doing that. He has one more double than Casey Kotchman (who has played 21 games LESS than Figgins). He has 1 more extra base hit than Josh Wilson (who has played 39 games LESS than Figgins). He has 3 less extra base hits than Michael Saunders (who has played 44 games LESS than Figgins). Figgins needs to shut the hell up, play his damn position and start hitting the ball before he ******* about "winning". Look in the damn mirror and realize you're part of the problem and then realize that your playing time in September will probably be cut back to allow Ackley a few starts.
4. RandonH - love the picture! One of the great lines from that movie - next to "meow" of course.

bigalexx

Aug 7, 2008
El Segundo, CA
Figgins is NOT a 2nd baseman. He's an outstanding 3rd baseman, both hitting and fielding, but he always struggled with the Angels when he was given extensive time at 2nd base.

Shi Guy

Jul 23, 2010
Seattle, Wa
Sly said:
A couple things:

1. "Powell is STILL the Hitting Coach." Powell took over about 2-3 months ago. He hasn't even been hitting coach the entire season.
2. Someone mentioned the Angels and the Lackey and Figgins "trades". Neither were traded, both left as Free Agents.
3. Figgins can say "the same page to me is winning..." all he wants, but the .229 average and .597 OPS is flat out ridiculous. "Winning" isn't helped when your #2 hitter is doing that. He has one more double than Casey Kotchman (who has played 21 games LESS than Figgins). He has 1 more extra base hit than Josh Wilson (who has played 39 games LESS than Figgins). He has 3 less extra base hits than Michael Saunders (who has played 44 games LESS than Figgins). Figgins needs to shut the hell up, play his damn position and start hitting the ball before he ******* about "winning". Look in the damn mirror and realize you're part of the problem and then realize that your playing time in September will probably be cut back to allow Ackley a few starts.
4. RandonH - love the picture! One of the great lines from that movie - next to "meow" of course.

True enough. My mistake on the trade vs free agent. However I still think the Angels saw the writing on the wall and weren't too upset about them leaving.

Members online

Latest posts