Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Opinions/Advice of FCB needed

Should I:

• hold cards for original buyer?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rob167

Aug 7, 2008
Ankeny, Iowa
Here is the scenario:

I was approached by a user inquiring about my Jackie Robinson cut autograph and my Ted Williams cut autograph. In checking my pm's, the first one I received was Sunday, January 17th. He was adament that he wanted the cards, but said he did not have the funds at the current time. He also said that he would be receiving a settlement soon that would be more than enough to pay off the debt. Knowing the user is a "good" member with a flawless record, I was more than happy to work with him. On Sunday, January 31, this user sent me a payment of $200. The last time I have heard from this user was Monday, April 26th, and when i check to see when he last logged in, it is completely blank.

Here is the dilemna:

I have recently had other people interested in purchasing the two cards. Considering the fact that it has been three months since I have heard from the original buyer, do I:

keep holding the cards for the original buyer even though he hasn't contacted me in three months?

sell the cards to the "new" buyer and keep the $200 down-payment?

sell the cards to the "new" buyer and refund the $200 down-payment to the original buyer if/when he shows back up?

ajbraves25

Aug 9, 2008
Springfield, IL
Ummm... hmmmm. I don't know what to say. I didn't choose a selection in your poll. That is a tough one. I would hate for you to sell the cards to somebody else and then have the orignal member show back up with the full payment. I mean you could always refund them if they come asking, but damn that is a tough call. Good luck.

~AJ

rob167

Aug 7, 2008
Ankeny, Iowa
ajbraves25-if it wasn't a three-month (and looking like more) gap in coversation, i would have no problem refunding the money.

and for those who are voting, are you voting by what you would do in this situation, or just giving a response?

RiceLynnEvans75

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
rob167 said:
ajbraves25-if it wasn't a three-month (and looking like more) gap in coversation, i would have no problem refunding the money.

and for those who are voting, are you voting by what you would do in this situation, or just giving a response?

Well, I voted for sell and refund the $200 as that is what I would do after this amount of time and no communication. But then I thought about the last part of the sentence I just wrote. Have you tried getting in touch with the original guy about this? If you have with no response then I would stick with my original vote. If you have tried contacting him and he does respond, then save the cards for him.

Fandruw25

Aug 25, 2008
Unless he said you'd be paid in full by a certain time I think you gotta refund the $200.

I voted sell the cards and refund the money.

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont
Tell him if he doesn't pay for the cards in **insert timeline here**they will be sold to another buyer, and the downpayment will be partially refunded, in the sum of **insert number lower than 200 here**

moxacaine

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Fredericksburg, VA
Youve given plenty of time to the person to pay. Refund his $200 and sell to the new buyer. I dont see how keeping the $200 would even be an option.

Jeff D

Mar 28, 2009
Well in the real world, typically down payments are non-refundable. That's the point of them...you hold something for someone but have some "reciprocity" if they back out and you have to look for a new buyer (given that you may have turned buyers away in the meanwhile).

But because we're a community, if you get the price you were looking for originally, I would just send a refund.

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont
Jeff D said:
Well in the real world, typically down payments are non-refundable. That's the point of them...you hold something for someone but have some "reciprocity" if they back out and you have to look for a new buyer (given that you may have turned buyers away in the meanwhile).

Kind of like a pawn shop, ya know. I thought everyone on here watched Pawn Stars. :lol:

gonzagacubs

Aug 7, 2008
Glenpool, OK
I voted for the last option.

If the new buyer can pay you in full now, I say go ahead and move the cards to the new buyer. The $200 down payment is where I see the problems. It is really not right to just keep the $200, but it is also not your fault the dude just kinda disappeared. I would just set it aside, and see if he shows back up. If he does, refund him. If not, well looks like you might be $200 richer. Not your fault he has failed to communicate with you for 3 months. Just my opinion.

orion9578

Aug 8, 2008
New Mexico
moxacaine said:
Youve given plenty of time to the person to pay. Refund his $200 and sell to the new buyer. I dont see how keeping the $200 would even be an option.

Agreed on this. I also don't see how keeping his 200 dollars would be an option. And, I don't see why you waited 3 months. You're a patient guy :). I'd refund the guy his money, email him and sell the cards to the new buyer. If he emails you back and says anything but sorry for taking 3 months, I'd say sorry but the cards are gone and he has a refund waiting. Good luck with whatever you do.

kentuckyderby

Aug 7, 2008
was Chicago now Glendale AZ
Jeff D said:

But because we're a community, if you get the price you were looking for originally, I would just send a refund.

pawn

pawn stars

I love that show
i like pickers too

pigskincardboard

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
Have you guys never put a downpayment on anything?

Once it's down, it doesn't come back. If you change your mind, too bad.

With that said, why didn't you work with him to come up with a date? You gotta contact him and figure out what's up. After three months of zero communication, there's no harm in selling and refunding. If you're selling and keeping the downpayment, I'd give him another 2 or 3 weeks. Maybe try and call him? Maybe someone's got his number?

When dealing with stuff like that, you need a written contract with dates and payment plans.

bongo870

Sep 30, 2009
Marlton NJ
Can you get in touch with him at all? if not i would refund the money. 3 months is a long time to wait. Alot longer than what some people would wait. Id just be afraid he would claim he never got his refund.

Members online