Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Dez says no to carrying Roy Williams' pads after practice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KandKCards

Aug 8, 2008
gonzagacubs said:
http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/news/story?id=5409306

I don't blame him. Roy is a bum. Perhaps Roy should worry about catching passes before he starts asking someone to carry his pads. Besides, the other receivers will probably have to carry the workload during the season because Roy can't catch.
The symbolic meaning to this is huge though. Every rookie on every team has ALWAYS carried the vets' pads. Roy Williams does suck, but Dez needs to know his place!

Card Magnet

Jan 24, 2009
Pennsylvania
I wouldn't carry them for Roy Williams either. Scratch that...I would carry them to the airport to fly his ass out of Dallas. Hell, I'd pay for the plane ticket, too.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... iams-pads/
NFL rookies are often required to carry veterans' pads as a sort of training camp hazing ritual. But Cowboys rookie Dez Bryant wants no part of it.

Tim MacMahon of ESPNDallas.com reports that Roy Williams gave his pads to Bryant today, and Bryant refused to carry them.

"I'm not doing it," Bryant said. "I feel like I was drafted to play football, not carry another player's pads."

Bryant says this isn't a case of a first-round pick thinking he's above an NFL tradition. Instead, it's about a player who says he won't tolerate being treated badly.

"If I was a free agent, it would still be the same thing," Bryant said. "I just feel like I'm here to play football. I'm here to try to help win a championship, not carry someone's pads. I'm saying that out of no disrespect to [anyone]."

But Williams says Bryant was wrong to refuse his request.

"Everybody has to go through it," Williams said. "I had to go through it. No matter if you're a No. 1 pick or the 7,000th pick, you've still got to do something when you're a rookie. I carried pads. I paid for dinners. I paid for lunches. I did everything I was supposed to do, because I didn't want to be that guy."

Although the Cowboys' decision to draft Bryant was widely viewed as a sign that the team is less than thrilled with Williams' performance, both Bryant and Williams have steadfastly insisted that there's no bad blood between them. That stance of unity between Bryant and Williams lasted through all of two days of training camp.

UPDATE: After seeing this item, Chargers linebacker Shawne Merriman weighed in on Twitter about what Williams' next step should be...."Dump his ass in the COLD TUB"
http://twitter.com/shawnemerriman/status/19534758717

jamuser304

Apr 24, 2009
Rookie hazing is stupid and pointless anyways. Just like fraternity hazing, I dont see the point. How does that form bonding? Because they went through it? I think they would form a stronger bond by meeting each others family, and socializing outside of football. Not by forcing someone to do something you are capable of doing yourself. If Dez wants to, great, but he shouldnt be forced to because of mere tradition. They only thing he should be forced to do is play football and win games. If he cant do that, then he shouldnt be there.

JimmyD

Jun 30, 2010
Surrey, BC, Canada Eh!
Maybe Dez can get Roy a discount for his momma!

I wouldn't do it either.. I'm on team Dez! Put your pads back on and walk to the dressing room yourself, lazy bastard. Maybe if ROY wasn't so damn lazy, he might still have his starting role.... His is dis-respecting Dez cause he knows Dez is gonna take his job!

Rickzcards

Sep 26, 2008
Sin City
gonzagacubs said:

I don't blame him. Roy is a bum. Perhaps Roy should worry about catching passes before he starts asking someone to carry his pads. Besides, the other receivers will probably have to carry the workload during the season because Roy can't catch.
Hell, Roy couldn't carry Dez's jock so why should Dez carry his pads? I think Dez might be the steal of the draft and I hate the Cowgirls.

Card Magnet

Jan 24, 2009
Pennsylvania
Rickzcards said:
gonzagacubs said:

Hell, Roy couldn't carry Dez's jock so why should Dez carry his pads? I think Dez might be the steal of the draft and I hate the Cowgirls.
In the words of Ed Reed (yes, he really said this):

"There are six, seven players in front of me [financially] at my position that I honestly wouldn't let hold my jock, and I don't even wear one,"

I feel Dez could say this about Roy Williams....and Dez hasn't played an NFL game yet :lol: .

dfr52

Aug 10, 2008
KandKCards said:
gonzagacubs said:

The symbolic meaning to this is huge though. Every rookie on every team has ALWAYS carried the vets' pads. Roy Williams does suck, but Dez needs to know his place!

Exactly. Anyone who has played organized sports at any level knows to expect hazing-even pros. This was b*tch move by Bryant. Williams might not be the best WR but he has been in the league since 04 and Bryant has not done jack. He should have sucked it up and carried Williams' pads. This will not sit well w/ the other vets and he'll get hazed one way or another-if he wants to fit in.

dfr52

Aug 10, 2008
J-Rod said:
I don't necessarily blame him but hazing is hazing he just set himself up for something worse

So true, no one wants to do it but you suck it up and carry the pads. The hazing will only get worse.

dfr52

Aug 10, 2008
jamuser304 said:
Rookie hazing is stupid and pointless anyways. Just like fraternity hazing, I dont see the point. How does that form bonding? Because they went through it? I think they would form a stronger bond by meeting each others family, and socializing outside of football. Not by forcing someone to do something you are capable of doing yourself. If Dez wants to, great, but he shouldnt be forced to because of mere tradition. They only thing he should be forced to do is play football and win games. If he cant do that, then he shouldnt be there.

LOL, hazing is part of sports. Carrying pads is pretty weak hazing so I don't know what his beef was. I really hope they tape him to a goal post or something worse.

Card Magnet

Jan 24, 2009
Pennsylvania
dfr52 said:
jamuser304 said:

LOL, hazing is part of sports. Carrying pads is pretty weak hazing so I don't know what his beef was. I really hope they tape him to a goal post or something worse.
A popular thing is to wrap the guy to a field goal post and dump ice inside.

pigskincardboard

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
Are you guys really bashing this as hazing? He's carrying pads and eventually grabbing a dinner or two. They're not playing Dr. Broomstick with the kid, they're asking them to carry pads.

Benefits of carrying pads: You have something to talk to your rookie class about. Shared experience. Respect.
Negatives of carrying pads: They smell. They weigh about a 2lbs.

If this was Andre Gurode or somebody, maybe you'd view it differently. Dez Bryant needs to get *it* in a hurry. He's being paid to play football but football isn't an individual game. I don't think you have to get along with everyone, but there's gotta be some sort of cohesion. Honestly, Roy may suck but he can still block. If Dez wants to turn those 10 yard hitches into 70-yard game breakers, you gotta play nice with your downfield blocking.

and yes, he should be buying dinner for some of the older guys. I get the feeling that Dez Bryant won't be the guy that halts "hazing."

Although I have nothing to base this on, I also get the feeling that after posting a 1000 yard season and winning ROY, Dez Bryant will be the first to say, "Hey Rook, buy me dinner."

It really seems like this is an issue of insecurity. Dez Bryant's never been anyone's bitch and doesn't seem to get that this isn't about being inferior to Roy on the field. This is about being the youngest guy in the office. I've seen kids straight out of Oxford become coffee boys for the first three months. They still contribute to meetings and often provide some of the greatest insight but they also drop 20 bucks on starbucks a day for a couple months.

dfr52

Aug 10, 2008
pigskincardboard said:
Are you guys really bashing this as hazing? He's carrying pads and eventually grabbing a dinner or two. They're not playing Dr. Broomstick with the kid, they're asking them to carry pads.

Benefits of carrying pads: You have something to talk to your rookie class about. Shared experience. Respect.
Negatives of carrying pads: They smell. They weigh about a 2lbs.

If this was Andre Gurode or somebody, maybe you'd view it differently. Dez Bryant needs to get *it* in a hurry. He's being paid to play football but football isn't an individual game. I don't think you have to get along with everyone, but there's gotta be some sort of cohesion. Honestly, Roy may suck but he can still block. If Dez wants to turn those 10 yard hitches into 70-yard game breakers, you gotta play nice with your downfield blocking.

and yes, he should be buying dinner for some of the older guys. I get the feeling that Dez Bryant won't be the guy that halts "hazing."

Although I have nothing to base this on, I also get the feeling that after posting a 1000 yard season and winning ROY, Dez Bryant will be the first to say, "Hey Rook, buy me dinner."

It really seems like this is an issue of insecurity. Dez Bryant's never been anyone's bitch and doesn't seem to get that this isn't about being inferior to Roy on the field. This is about being the youngest guy in the office. I've seen kids straight out of Oxford become coffee boys for the first three months. They still contribute to meetings and often provide some of the greatest insight but they also drop 20 bucks on starbucks a day for a couple months.

Great post! And I think you hit the nail on the head that Bryant will pull the same crap next year but expect the rookies to go along w/it. At this point he needs to accept that he's just a rookie and a veteran team.

dfr52

Aug 10, 2008
Card Magnet said:
dfr52 said:
jamuser304 said:

A popular thing is to wrap the guy to a field goal post and dump ice inside.

:lol: Nice!

jamuser304

Apr 24, 2009
dfr52 said:
jamuser304 said:

Anything more than doing your job is pointless. I have never been to a workplace where co-workers the same level as myself make me do their work. Ill help them if I choose to, but it shouldnt be expected just because Im new. Some people are just more mature than others. If Roy really wants to do something worse, take the starting job from Bryant. Otherwise, suck it up and move one. He should be more focused on the game.

mstng99tim

Apr 6, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Roy asked Dez to carry them because he kept on dropping them!!! :lol:

Do you think Dez would've carried them if that was Irvin asking him to carry them instead of Roy???

wheeler281

Mar 6, 2009
Dez has proven in the past he works with his own set of rules. Kid will find out soon. The vets will get him. Just that simple act of not going along with tradition says a ton to me. He is lucky pushover Phillips is the HC.

dfr52

Aug 10, 2008
wheeler281 said:
Dez has proven in the past he works with his own set of rules. Kid will find out soon. The vets will get him. Just that simple act of not going along with tradition says a ton to me. He is lucky pushover Phillips is the HC.

So true, great post Wheeler!

Latest posts