Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

APOH 500 Club Collectors Come in - Big Hurt Auto Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hey guys, i need some opinions. I love this set, even though i have only 1 card from it. Im going to the national and im gonna get Frank Thomas to sign his APOH 500 club card since there was never a autographed version produced. Now here is the question....

On some of the early releases, the autograph was signed on the card on the bottom, With the later releases such with McGwire, Griffey, Palmerio and Sosa, the autograph was signed in between the bat piece and the action shot of the player.
Which position would have Thomas sign it in?

Here is the McGwire with the auto placing for the later releases,

ud1.jpg

Here is the auto placement with the earlier versions.

this is not the signed mathews version but it gives you the idea of where the auto placement would be.

scan0007.jpg

So what do you think???

ThomasGU.jpg

Opinions are greatly appreciated.

If someone could maybe photoshop a thomas auto onto the card to give a preview that would be awsome, im not savy with paintbrush

piggy1918

Jul 31, 2009
I am just your average collector but I would opt for the second option, IMO it looks cleaner. Plus, easier to ask Frank to just sign below his name. :)

Nice idea, we need pics! I will be at the Nationals as well btw... first one for me.

buck724

Jul 22, 2010
I second that motion lol....I also think that it makes it look "cleaner" if they signed on the bottom but thats just my opinion :)

have fun at national! wish I could go :( lol

docdw25

Aug 6, 2009
I think it would look cleaner at the bottom as well but not sure how much room he will have to sign his name. Look at the Matthews card. They moved his printed name up a little to allow more room at the bottom of the card.

Sean_C

Oct 21, 2009
Does the card need to be prepped before being signed? I'd hate to see you get the card signed and then have it bubble up on you.

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont
BunchOBull said:
I've wanted to do this for awhile myself. Here's a mock up I used to keep in my sig line...I like the center signature.

sig2008UDAPOHFT.png

But that ain't Frank's (current) signature.

thermo8

Aug 11, 2008
That is awesome. I've been looking around forever to see where newer guys would sign, if they would ever, and now i'm really bummed i can't make it to nationals. I've been carrying around my Thome, Thomas, Ramirez bat cards just for the hopes of bumping into one of them, or seeing any of them at a show to sign the bat cards from this awesome set.

matchpenalty

Jan 12, 2009
North East
Man that Thomas came out amazingly good! That is really nice and bold and NOT streaky. His last auto strokes in middle of auto always seem to make them looking streaky. That is a rock solid Frank auto, one of best I've ever seen.

matchpenalty

Jan 12, 2009
North East
So was his autograph line pretty busy? Did you see anybody else stuff that got signed by him. Did they come out nice and bold like yours.

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
I know this is a different set and the bat bit might be too small (unless a small Sharpie would work) but I like what Kirby did here. Print run of 25 or less. Most are signed where the Gibby is and some are stickers.

PuckettBenchmarks.jpg

gibbybenchauto.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts