Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Why not just post price on everything?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

The_ReverendAct2

Aug 7, 2008
I have began to put prices on anything that I am selling because usually it saves time. Curious about two things:

1. Why do so few people attach prices to cards they are selling? They belong to them but want someone else to offer on the card. I wish I could do that at the store.

2. Why do so few people even counter when they ask about a card that possibly is priced at ebay prices? Does everyone just want a steal?

Is this one of the primary reasons so few deals get done or what? I realize the hot cards can fluctuate tremendously, but if a person is selling/buying, why not just put prices. I have noticed some members are starting to do this. Although I don't sell much on here, I usually know, after my research, what a card is selling for.

muchuckwagon

Oct 8, 2008
Deceased
It goes something like this....

1. Seller is asking $100 despite the card selling for $60 on ebay because that is what they need to break-even.

2. Seller is asking $100 despite the card selling for $60 on ebay because they feel the card has the potential to sell for that price some day down the road.

3. Buyer offers $60 for a card selling for $100 because they need room to make a profit when the card is re-sold on eBay.

As a result, it is painful to get a deal completed.

phillyfan0417

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Greenfield, Wisconsin, United States
I believe there is a misconception on the transaction board because it seems like alot of deals do get done. The "why not list the price" argument came up before and pretty much there seemed to be two big arguments:

1. You never know how much someone is willing to pay so why not just PM the offers.
2. People dont like being told they have to do something.

I've seen quite a few folks go to listing their prices and I've enjoyed that...

jeff550

May 5, 2009
burke
whta annoyes me is when the dont tname a price, try to get you to offer high, and get pissed when they dont get ehat they want

nyc3

Aug 20, 2008
I love the forums that demand the transaction forums to post a price it makes things much easier. I never understood the cloak and dagger missions of PM me with your offers.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
Since there are no FCB fees, all cards should basically be eBay minus 5%-10%. That way the buyer comes out ahead because they got a discount from eBay market price, and the seller comes out ahead by making 1%-8% more than they would have by selling on eBay after paying fees. It's a win-win, but lots of people just don't seem to understand this.

My personal favorite is when someone doesn't offer a price and tells you to make an offer and then you offer eBay value and they get all butthurt about how much they paid for the card. I couldn't care less how much you paid for a card, if you're trying to sell it now, you're gonna have to go by current market price.

All In Cards

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
Most of the time I dont post a price because I am just typing a list and lazy.

After someone says they want something, I then go and do the research and get a price for them.

Joshua.Roundtree

Mar 12, 2010
Clearwater, FL
ALL_THE_HYPE said:
Since there are no FCB fees, all cards should basically be eBay minus 5%-10%. That way the buyer comes out ahead because they got a discount from eBay market price, and the seller comes out ahead by making 1%-8% more than they would have by selling on eBay after paying fees. It's a win-win, but lots of people just don't seem to understand this.

My personal favorite is when someone doesn't offer a price and tells you to make an offer and then you offer eBay value and they get all butthurt about how much they paid for the card. I couldn't care less how much you paid for a card, if you're trying to sell it now, you're gonna have to go by current market price.

+1

List prices if you want to sell cards. Realize that Ebay sell value + shipping isn't what you are actually getting when selling on Ebay so asking for it or more won't get you many sales. Everyone wants a deal, which is fair, to a degree. If both parties realized that cutting out the middle man saves both parties money, more deals would get done.

My newest pet peeve is when a member has one thread where they are selling cards X,Y, and Z for $40, $60, and $80 and they have another thread where they are buying cards X,Y, and Z for $23, $35, and $45. Last time I checked this wasn't thepit.com

Buynhisellnlow

Aug 7, 2008
When I post sell threads, I don't always post the prices on there just due to the sheer number of cards I'm posting. But I do reply within the thread and put the prices in there for any cards that anyone asks about.

I agree that I don't understand what's with everyone only wanting to give prices via PM or not providing a price at all.

nyc3

Aug 20, 2008
Honestly while andrew makes a good point and I have done the same in the past it needs to change. It seems every time you pm someone they want more than ebay and thats the only reason they want a pm so not to get called out on it in public. If they have to post their prices for one it stops wasting peoples time secondly it would defer from the over pricing of cards.

OR MY FAVORITE RESPONSE TO A PM

"What are you looking to spend?" Only to get twisted when you tell them the going rate :lol:

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
The trade manager actually helps defeat some of this problem, if it was actually used.

EDIT: and I realize that I only have one price on mine, but that's because I'd prefer to trade most of them, so nice try... :)

asmth312

Jan 17, 2009
If it's not listing prices with the implication that "we both know what these are going for, and let me know if you want to buy it for that price" then I am fine with that. But maybe realize that it's a lot easier to just post the prices for everyone than field 15 PM's with "Can I get a price on the..." It's just laziness not sleaziness.

But that's usually not the feeling I get. For the vast majority of cards, we all know what the going rate is (within a $5-10) range. If you're looking for significantly more than that "because that's what you have into it," then now is not the time for you to sell. Sure, you're entitled to ask whatever you want for your cards, but just state that up front and stop trying to look for a sucker to overpay.

On a similar note, why post in a thread that you have replied to a PM? Does anyone go and check the threads they have posted in or PMed about before they look at the little number next to "inbox"?

nyc3

Aug 20, 2008
asmth312 said:
. Sure, you're entitled to ask whatever you want for your cards, but just state that up front and stop trying to look for a sucker to overpay.

+ 1 billion!

phillyfan0417

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
We did a poll on the transaction board months ago and it was pretty much 50/50. It turned pretty ugly with the main reason for no was folks didnt feel like they should be forced to do anything. I didnt really care personally how it played out since its very rare i'll make an offer on a card that has no listed price. I generally buy from those who list a price but if i want something enough, i'll deal with the PM back and forth as long as the deal can be done in a couple of PM's...

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
phillyfan0417 said:
We did a poll on the transaction board months ago and it was pretty much 50/50. It turned pretty ugly with the main reason for no was folks didnt feel like they should be forced to do anything. I didnt really care personally how it played out since its very rare i'll make an offer on a card that has no listed price. I generally buy from those who list a price but if i want something enough, i'll deal with the PM back and forth as long as the deal can be done in a couple of PM's...

I don't think making it mandatory is the way to go...what if it's a 1/1 that has never sold before? Hard to put a value on stuff like that. Even though it's logical for people to post prices, forcing this (or anything) will just piss people off.

jkeys

Banned
May 5, 2010
Kansas City area
nyc3 said:
I love the forums that demand the transaction forums to post a price it makes things much easier. I never understood the cloak and dagger missions of PM me with your offers.

+1. I've had some success just posting prices, but it seems like many prefer the "let me offer in private" scenario. Still trying both methods...

- Jsn

phillyfan0417

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
ALL_THE_HYPE said:
phillyfan0417 said:

I don't think making it mandatory is the way to go...what if it's a 1/1 that has never sold before? Hard to put a value on stuff like that. Even though it's logical for people to post prices, forcing this (or anything) will just piss people off.

There are boards that make it mandatory but like was stated when the poll went up, we left it up to the members to decide. The reasoning you gave was the primary reason it was shot down, few could really come up with anything but the rare exception (1/1's and the like) and it came back to not being told what to do, which is fine with me.

Members online