Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Topps "You Sketch It" ideas, gimme some EDIT: Done

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
I used to be a fairly decent artist in my younger days. I went to college a few years as an art student. Sketching might have been my strong point, if I had one.

Please give me some ideas for a sketch, and I'll scan the results (if I'm not too embarrassed).

Thanks.

FYI; comming up with a subject was ALWAYS my biggest problem...

lordsepic

Aug 9, 2008
Re: Topps "You Sketch It" ideas, gimme some

Pablo Sandoval as the hamburgler and Prince Fielder drinking glasses of lard

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008

How about drawing a reproduction of Yount's '75 Topps rookie card?

js0000001

Oct 1, 2008

Yount sandwiched between two busty swimsuit models?

js0000001

Oct 1, 2008

I realize this must be one of my least funny jokes but.....................

Yount, the busty model and the prophet muhammad

jmagic87

Sep 27, 2008
Mass

how bout something that screams topps

draw a stephn cashburger in a 1952 topps mantle style

pigskincardboard

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto

jmagic87 said:
how bout something that screams topps

draw a stephn cashburger in a 1952 topps mantle style

I'll do one of those when I get a chance, most definitely. Except I'm going to make cashburg more attractive. I'm going to go out of my way to fill out his face, soft his crazy skeletor cheekbones and take away his elf-like ears. I feel that people want to buy a card of someone that's attractive, even if it doesn't look like strasburg.

With that said, when drawing that small...

ALWAYS AVOID PINSTRIPES.

They're the gheyest **** known to man when it comes to sketching or inking.

NECpilgrims8

Aug 7, 2008
White Plains, NY

Johnny Bench at the HOF ceremony!

95916599JM032_2010_BASEBALL.standalone.prod_affiliate.138.JPG

:mrgreen:

17ROCKIES12

Aug 13, 2008

If they are PC, then I'd just do your favorite players. If you're going to enter them, I'd do highlights for the 2010 season.

tonsofcommons

Aug 20, 2008
Iowa

How about the scene from Field of Dreams where the players are walking in to the corn field?

That would be AWESOME!

mmier118

Jan 29, 2010

Kirk Gibson's fist pump after his 1988 game one walk off home run would be cool.

hive17

Aug 7, 2008

NECpilgrims8 said:
Johnny Bench at the HOF ceremony!

95916599JM032_2010_BASEBALL.standalone.prod_affiliate.138.JPG

:mrgreen:

THIS IS IT!

Now, the question is, what style: photo-realism, stylized rendering, anime-esque, straight-up cartoon, or something else.

I'm leaning towards cartoon/anime, simply because of the subject matter.

EDIT: also, color, or no color?

richtree

Jan 4, 2010

As George Brett is my favorite player, I always wanted this.

A behind the plate view of the "PINE TAR" pitch. I always wanted a pre-incident painting. From behind the plate(behind ump and cather), showing an exaggerated amount of pine tar on the bat.

July 24, 1983 -- maybe get the date on there (scoreboard in background).

with the beautiful view of Yankee Stadium and Goose Gossage winding in his motion with a nice caption .

I am sure there is alot more, but can't think of it now...

good idea / ?

hive17

Aug 7, 2008

Sorry guys, I flaked. I changed my mind at the last minute. Feel free to judge honestly, b/c I feel I rushed it a little, but once I got the idea in my head, I couldn't stop. I lifted the picture from a photo basically. Anyway, here it is:

ToppsYouSketchIt.jpg

I like the composition. The figures aren't the strongest, but once I decided against Trompe-l'œil (that's an art-nerd joke, like I'm some Flemish painter or something), I just wanted to get the picture as dynamic as possible.

WoundedDuck

Aug 23, 2008
Very nice!!! I think we need to start a 'you sketch it' thread for people to post what they've done. I've got 2 cards most of the way done with my series now and I'd love to see more of what people are doing out there. I'm a little worried though. I didn't read the back very close when I started, but it says something about using photos from 2010 topps or bowman products. My sketches certainly don't follow that.

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
WoundedDuck said:
Very nice!!! I think we need to start a 'you sketch it' thread for people to post what they've done. I've got 2 cards most of the way done with my series now and I'd love to see more of what people are doing out there. I'm a little worried though. I didn't read the back very close when I started, but it says something about using photos from 2010 topps or bowman products. My sketches certainly don't follow that.

Neither does this. I get it though; Topps can't reprint something if it's based off of something they don't own, and the point of winning the contest is to see your card packed out.

I should get a few more and do the whole Brewers team, just with different variations/styles. The Alcides Escobar photo has a lot of potential for a Manga variation.

Members online