Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Reading a couple posts got me thinking:first big league game

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dayracing

Nov 26, 2008
any great stories. Mine was 1984 Detroit vs Seattle. Morris pitched and got an in person auto from petry. Man i remember walking into the stadium like it was yesterday. field so green. still love Tiger Stadium. some times i sit in my stadium seats i bought and can just about remember that day. still have the program and the stub.

anyone else remember their first game.

Card Magnet

Jan 24, 2009
Pennsylvania
I don't remember the year offhand, but it was the first game Griffey played in Pittsburgh as a Red. My dad scored tickets for the family, and it was an awesome experience. It was my first of about 10 games that season, and a few more the following years.

schillingfan

Jul 9, 2010
York, PA
My first game was the one that started my Schilling collection. I attended the Cubs/Phillies game on September 5,1996 when Curt was pitching. During an at bat, he fouled this ball off into the seats near me. The man who caught the ball saw that I was a Schilling fan and was kind enough to give me the ball. I met Curt in person a few years later and had it signed.

Autographed%20Foulball%20%28Small%29.jpg

bodiaz

Jan 19, 2009
1981, Oakland a's at Detroit tigers. Before the game behind the vistor dugout, billy Martin and rickety Henderson were horseing around. Billy tossed me a ball. I was so into watching them, I missed the ball and some punk teenager reached over the wall and snatched it! I was only 7.

jlemire

Jun 1, 2009
Thanks for the awesome post! Being from Western Canada I saw my 1st MLB game in 1999 (I was 14 at the time) In Anaheim, We saw the Angels play the Twins and I still have the Ticket stub as well as the program. The next day we went to disneyland and I was rattled because there was another Angels afternoon game and I wanted to that over disneyland! Being a ball player growing up i've since been hooked! I've had the luck to now see about 30 games including 12 at Fenway. My favorite game has to be the Home opener at Fenway in 2004 my Dad and I payed WAYYYYY too much and bought scalper seats to sit on the Monster great game (although saw a Sox loss) but it's something I will always remember.

Sly

Aug 7, 2008
I don't think it was my first game, but when I was younger we went to a Mariners/Twins game in Seattle. Afterwards my brother and I were waiting (with others) by the buses to try and get some autos from the Twins players coming out...and out walks Kirby Puckett!

My brother says to him: "Hey Kirby! Hey Kirby!! Can I get your auto!?!?"

What was Kirby's response??

"Kirby? I'm not Kirby! I'm Al Newman!! That's Kirby over there!!!" (pointing over to Al Newman!)

And yes, it WAS Kirby and not Al Newman. I don't believe he signed at all...but it was pretty funny.

Gwynn545

Aug 29, 2008
North Seattle
Some great Mariner first games here! Mine was at a Mariners game, too!
April 30, 1979 (I remember because it was my 10th birthday present and the game was 5 days after my birthday!)

Mariners tie score in bottom of 9th on homerun (but can't for life of me remember who!) I know it wasn't Dan Meyer! Very exciting!!!!
Anyways, Baltimore came back and score in the 10th and eventually won the game. Very bummed!!!!

Here's the real cool part:
I scooped up a foul ball from Orioles player Al Bumbry! Yes, 1st game = Foul Ball!
Who would have known in 30+ years later I would only do that one other time!

17ROCKIES12

Aug 13, 2008
gwynn5453l4u said:
April 30, 1979 (I remember because it was my 10th birthday present and the game was 5 days after my birthday!)

Mariners tie score in bottom of 9th on homerun (but can't for life of me remember who!) I know it wasn't Dan Meyer! Very exciting!!!!
Anyways, Baltimore came back and score in the 10th and eventually won the game. Very bummed!!!!

I scooped up a foul ball from Orioles player Al Bumbry! Yes, 1st game = Foul Ball!
http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes ... 4300.shtml

leatherman

Aug 7, 2008
The Atlanta suburbs
Believe it or not, I didn't attend my first major league game until I was 24. I grew up in Virginia Beach, VA and had seen hundreds of Tidewater Tides games, but it wasn't until I moved to Atlanta in 1995 that I saw my first MLB game.

Hideo Nomo was in his rookie season and off to a blistering start. He had just thrown back to back shutouts with 13 Ks in each game. He was 6-1, with a 2.05 ERA and 109 Ks in 83.1 IP. The Dodgers were coming into town, and Nomo was scheduled to pitch on July 5th. The Braves were starting John Smoltz, whom I had known from his days in Richmond. I was expecting a pitcher's duel, my favorite kind of game, and was not disappointed.

Nomo pitched 7 strong innings, allowing just one run and striking out 10. Smoltz was a little better, going 8 innings, also allowing just one run, and striking out 12. Mark Wohlers comes into the game in the top of the 9th and strikes out the side on 11 pitches. In the bottom half of the 9th, with the game still tied 1-1, some rookie third baseman for the Braves hits a walk-off, 3 run home run off Rudy Seanez. Even I cheered for the Braves that day.

Here is the box score of the game: http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes ... 7050.shtml

dayracing

Nov 26, 2008
looked at the box for that day, game time was 3:32 but the game was delayed at start for rain. remember my first minor league game in toledo too. got a carlos quintana game used bat. and a sam horn home run ball. ah good times thanks to my mom.

Gwynn545

Aug 29, 2008
North Seattle
17ROCKIES12 said:
gwynn5453l4u said:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes ... 4300.shtml

Thanks for that! I never knew that website was available!! Amazing!! I am going to go back and lok for some other games I saw as a kid and remember!!! Joe Simpson was the homerun hitter that tied the game! I will never forget that name again! I also see that eddie murray was there and I never really realized that!

bouwob

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Have no idea what date it was. First game ever was at yankee stadium against the rangers. Every time I used the restroom or bought food or went to look around someone on the rangers hit a home run. The next time I went to see a yankees/rangers game, I watched 90% of the game on the TVs in the lobby area. They scored 12 runs that game ;)

UMich92

Sep 18, 2008
First game for me was at Tiger Stadium in 1977 with my Little League team. We sat in the upper deck on the 1st base side. Even at that age I was already a packrat and I still have the ticket stub.

chief7575

Feb 1, 2010
First game for me was at Tiger stadium as well vs the Angels back in '88. I looked back for box scores and I'm sure I found the right game (July 3 right before my bday). Tigers got spanked 10-4 thanks to Chili Davis crushing the ball all day long (3run HR off Jack Morris). Sat in the right field lower deck.

Members online

Latest posts