Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Wes Hodges DFA

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

The_ReverendAct2

Aug 7, 2008
topprospectalert said:
I sure hope someone else picks him up and gives him a chance.

you and me both. the indians seem to have no intentions of giving him a serious shot eventhough he is productive. he has regressed imho because of his feeling of lack of opportunity.

OhioBobcat3

Aug 7, 2008
Ohio
Blue Hodges Reverend said:
topprospectalert said:

you and me both. the indians seem to have no intentions of giving him a serious shot eventhough he is productive. he has regressed imho because of his feeling of lack of opportunity.

The problem is his defense. Wherever they put him he continued to make errors. If you couple that with his offensive statistics, he wasn't doing well enough to make the Indians think he would fit into their future plans. With LaPorta at 1st base and Goedert/Chisenhall in the future mix at 3rd base, there was no room in the inn.

That said, this is probably the best thing for Wes. He'll get a fresh start with another organization that believes he can fill a potential need on their big-league club. The thing that boggles my mind is that the Indians chose to keep Andy Marte on their 40-man roster rather than drop him and keep Wes instead. Marte sucks.

OhioBobcat3

Aug 7, 2008
Ohio
Believe it or not there is some actual talent in Cleveland and its organization. He played himself off of the Indians' radar after being outperformed by other up-and-comers at his position(s). The organization was tired of waiting for him to improve after ample opportunity to do so.

ahodge84

Jun 12, 2010
Lincoln, NE
OhioBobcat3 said:
Believe it or not there were young guys better than him that filled the same positions that he played. The team has nothing to do with it. He played himself out of the organization.

Word. As always, spot on, Matt. I am a bit disappointed with Hodges getting cut, but he screwed his own pooch with Cleveland. Wonder what I'll be talking about tomorrow on Upcoming Wigwammers...

OhioBobcat3

Aug 7, 2008
Ohio
ahodge84 said:
OhioBobcat3 said:
Believe it or not there were young guys better than him that filled the same positions that he played. The team has nothing to do with it. He played himself out of the organization.

Word. As always, spot on, Matt. I am a bit disappointed with Hodges getting cut, but he screwed his own pooch with Cleveland. Wonder what I'll be talking about tomorrow on Upcoming Wigwammers...

I'm still bewildered that they cut Hodges rather than Andy Marte or Carlos Rivero. Both of these guys showed far less promise than Wes. Still, if you think about it you have to wonder where Hodges was going to fit into the Tribe's future. There was truly no room for him. He only played the two corner infield positions while in the minors and had trouble fielding both. His offense still shows promise, so if all else fails he could end up as a DH somewhere.

VizquelCollector.com

Jul 31, 2009
OhioBobcat3 said:
topprospectalert said:

The problem is his defense. Wherever they put him he continued to make errors. ...The thing that boggles my mind is that the Indians chose to keep Andy Marte on their 40-man roster rather than drop him and keep Wes instead. Marte sucks.

I've seen a fair amount of both these guys in Columbus, and Marte has a much better glove than Hodges does. Wes boots balls that were just plain embarrassing. He also seems uncomfortable at times, out of position, even awkward. Marte certainly wasn't great, but he's clearly more comfortable fielding and sometimes looked downright good.

OhioBobcat3

Aug 7, 2008
Ohio
VizquelCollector said:
OhioBobcat3 said:
topprospectalert said:

The problem is his defense. Wherever they put him he continued to make errors. ...The thing that boggles my mind is that the Indians chose to keep Andy Marte on their 40-man roster rather than drop him and keep Wes instead. Marte sucks.

I've seen a fair amount of both these guys in Columbus, and Marte has a much better glove than Hodges does. Wes boots balls that were just plain embarrassing. He also seems uncomfortable at times, out of position, even awkward. Marte certainly wasn't great, but he's clearly more comfortable fielding and sometimes looked downright good.

I agree with you that Marte's glove is better than Hodges.

However, Marte isn't even batting .200 for the Indians right now and has a .606 OPS. He almost single-handedly cost the Indians the game in a 4-2 loss to the Rays the other night by striking out w/ runners at 1st and 3rd and only one out, followed by an error in the next inning that gave TB a baserunner that ended up coming around to score. It's things like these that make him expendable, especially when this could very well be his last go-round with the Tribe. IMO, Hodges' potential offensive value trumped the only thing Marte sometimes offers (.854 fld % at 3rd base this year), and yet Wes ended up being the one released.

It hardly matters, as neither of these two were/are going to be part of a winning formula for the Tribe going forward.

ahodge84

Jun 12, 2010
Lincoln, NE
I'm with Matt here... Marte has gotten far too many chances with the Tribe. If anyone should have gotten the boot, it was him. Hodges might be a liability in the field, but I'd rather have a potential solid DH than a good fielder who couldn't hit water if he fell out of a boat. But then again, it's difficult to see where Hodges would settle in with the Tribe. There are far better hitters that could rotate in the DH slot. If Hodges were hitting like he was 2 years ago, though... but he wasn't.

VizquelCollector.com

Jul 31, 2009
I hear you guys, and sorry, hope I wasn't stirring you up on this.

It's tough to say how Wes would perform if given the chance to play in Cleveland. But we're comparing Marte's numbers in Cleveland against Hodges' numbers in Columbus. I'm not sure how much sense it makes, or what conclusions you can draw from it.

Maybe you guys saw Wes play, or maybe not. But I can tell you he just looks awkward and uncomfortable. A lot of us that watched him play night after night just shook our heads. We were thrilled to finally see this Tribe farmhand we had heard so much about, and he just couldn't turn the corner.

I'd have to imagine the increased talent and pressure in Cleveland would not bode well for Wes, but who knows? He's a good guy and maybe it's what he'll need and rise to the occasion. Brandon Phillips was a jacka$$ with unimpressive numbers in Cleveland and look what he's ended up doing!

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
I hope Baltimore picks him up and plugs him at 1st. He can't do any worse than they future Japanese bench warmer's they've trotted out this season.

ahodge84

Jun 12, 2010
Lincoln, NE
VizquelCollector said:
I hear you guys, and sorry, hope I wasn't stirring you up on this.

It's tough to say how Wes would perform if given the chance to play in Cleveland. But we're comparing Marte's numbers in Cleveland against Hodges' numbers in Columbus. I'm not sure how much sense it makes, or what conclusions you can draw from it.

Maybe you guys saw Wes play, or maybe not. But I can tell you he just looks awkward and uncomfortable. A lot of us that watched him play night after night just shook our heads. We were thrilled to finally see this Tribe farmhand we had heard so much about, and he just couldn't turn the corner.

I'd have to imagine the increased talent and pressure in Cleveland would not bode well for Wes, but who knows? He's a good guy and maybe it's what he'll need and rise to the occasion. Brandon Phillips was a jacka$$ with unimpressive numbers in Cleveland and look what he's ended up doing!

No worries... I definitely see where you come from. For my part, at least, I'm more anti-Marte than pro-Hodges. And I'm not exactly comparing numbers across the MLB and AAA... my problem lies in Marte clearly being a lost cause at this point and Hodges still having potential (well, I think). Granted, I haven't seen him in person since his excellent 2008 season, so he might have lost that "something" he had then.

Members online

Latest posts