Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

A Sick Phil Hughes card

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nikobaseball

Aug 7, 2008
I'm not really sure how one of the shops by me ended up with this, but for those that have never seen it, here is Phil Hughes 04 BCDP RED Ref Auto. It's graded BGS Authentic because it never made it into packs. Supposedly Hughes got the card, signed it personally, and gave it away.

301dd000.jpg

I love it, just thought I'd share it

zach

Pine Tar

Mar 1, 2009
Oswego,Illinois
The only thing sick about that card is if you lived up to the hype it would be with more. But those who invested in him are sick now looking at his prices. ;)

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
I wonder if the other Red Ref Autos in 2004 BCDP never made it into packs as well, save Matt Bush.

SeattleSports

Jun 11, 2010
Pine Tar said:
The only thing sick about that card is if you lived up to the hype it would be with more. But those who invested in him are sick now looking at his prices. ;)

He's not cy young, but's hes 12-4 and 24 years old.

I don't think think he is a bust by any stretch of the imagination?

Nikobaseball

Aug 7, 2008
jcmint said:
I remember that card in hughes' bucket

It's funny, I do too. About a month ago I tried searching for it but couldn't find it. I knew it was sitting in the display case in a shop by me, so I decided to stop by and see what he wanted. Feel free to guess, he wanted an EXTREMELY high number, granted it is 1/1.

Pills

Aug 7, 2008
If I remember the whole story, there are 2 versions of that card. One Phil had, and Topps had given it to him. He had traded it to someone on the BMB a long time ago.

The other is the packed out version, which has yet to be pulled.

Tom Oates

Sep 15, 2008
frzg said:
Pine Tar said:

He's not cy young, but's hes 12-4 and 24 years old.

I don't think think he is a bust by any stretch of the imagination?

Also... he pitches in the AL with the DH and arguably the toughest division in all of MLB. Rookie hype ebbs and flows along with their card prices but prospector expectations seem to get stalled in "Future Super Star - Gold Mine Mode"

Tom

Ian Stewart

Aug 7, 2008
A.) Didn't Mike Marinaro trade for that card?

Pine Tar said:

B.) How has he not lived up to the hype? Instead of making stupid, uninformed statements, you should check up on his stats. He's 12-3 with a 4.04 ERA with the Yankees. Oh, and he's only 24.

Jastermereel

Dec 20, 2008
I think he said that when he was signing them there were two and he asked for the one to be used as a replacement and they gave it to him.

scotty21690

Aug 7, 2008
LOL I saw the title and without clicking the thread I thought to myself, "Well, it's probably a nice patch/auto or something but the only nice card of Hughes is his 04 BC red ref auto 1/1."

Opened the thread and voila!

Sick card.

All In Cards

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
Phil worked out a deal and traded that card along with some others for a bunch of Conger's.

then when Phil got out of cards he had the same guy/shop sell his cards for him.

Nikobaseball

Aug 7, 2008
Yeah, it's the shop in flushing.

Interesting to hear the backstory on it.

I thought it wouldnt be for sale, but it was, 6K.

nyc3

Aug 20, 2008
does any one have the address of that shop I always want to stop on but never know where it is. I need to try someplace other that Royal Collectibles.

Latest posts