Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Johnny Peralta to the Tigers, Wilkin Ramirez DFA'd

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
No point really...adding a guy like Peralta simply is not the move that's going to push them over the hump to win the division. At least they got money from Cleveland for his salary.

It's sad that they have the MVP on their team and still can't figure out how to win. It's really time to start thinking about the future...even if they go get a guy like Adam Dunn and somehow win the division, they still have no chance to compete in the playoffs. Not to mention they have six rookies starting anyway now with Inge, Ordonez, and Guillen out, and the rest of the guys who are not rookies are young as well with Cabrera and Raburn filling out the last two position spots. Plus a pitching staff whose average age is in the mid 20s makes their team look pretty young.

I'm not one to give up on a team until they're mathematically eliminated; and I'd be ecstatic if they could get it together and win the division somehow, but I just don't see it happening at this point with the current roster they're working with.

Tiger people, any thoughts on the Peralta acquisation?

As far as DFA-ing Ramirez...I always liked Wilkin. Thought he could be a pretty decent player with an impressive blend of power and speed if they ever gave him a legitimate chance. Unfortunately they didn't get him many at bats after a short, but impressive Major League stint last season, and this year he's not hitting well enough to deserve a chance despite 20 homers or so. Wonder where he'll end up.

WilkinSterlingGold3.png

hail2thevictors

Jan 20, 2010
As a Tigers fan, it's been apparent to me most of the season that we just don't have it. Could we make the playoffs? Sure. If we did make the playoffs, how far would we go? My guess is not very far, the way our team has played this year(inconsistent). Sure, our pitching could get hot-but I just don't see us as legit contenders.

As far as my thoughts on the Peralta trade? I think it's a bad move-Peralta is not going to put us over the top, or help us catch the Sox/Twins-but hopefully I'm wrong. We gave up a solid prospect, but not one that I see being that much in the long run. But does Peralta really give us much more than we are already getting at 3B? I don't really know, part of me wants to see Sizemore there-and that way we can evaluate his bat to see if he fits in the future or not. Plus, we either have to pickup Peraltas $8 million(I think?) team option, or buy him out at $2 million. So I would bet we buy him out, which is another down side to this deal.

Wilkin is a whole separate issue. It really ticks me off how the Tigers and Leyland have handled him. He came up last year, homered in his 2nd or 3rd MLB AB, and brought speed and energy to an old and dead team-but never got a fair shot. Last year, when Leyland played Huff everyday, Raburn all the time while they both struggled, Wilkin sat on the pine-only making a cameo here and there as a pinch runner. And then this year, the way they handled him out of ST basically gave him the message that they don't care about him, IMO. The kid has a lot of talent, is very toolsy-he just needs a fresh start, and a manager who has a clue. If Leyland was in love with Wilkin like he's in love with Raburn, Wilkin would be on the big league club starting everyday-LOL. For his sake, I hope he gets picked up by a team that wants to use him. Selfishly, I hope no one picks him up. When you have Brent Dlugach, Jeff Larish, Clete Thomas, Jay Sborz, and others on the 40 man-but DFA Wilkin, well something is wrong. Jeff Larish is horrible, has no future with this club whatsoever, so why the heck is he on the 40 man, let alone on the current club? It's a joke. To keep Clete freaking Thomas over Wilkin is pretty laughable, if you ask me. I don't know much about maneuvering the 40 man, but they could have DFA'd Larish, Clete, etc right?

But for the 1st time in a while, I can look forward to the future knowing we have nice young pieces coming. Our pitching really should take a step forward next year, and especially in 2012(and that is without factoring in potential FA signings). I really think Andy Oliver will be a solid 3 or 4 starter, a hard throwing lefty like him just needs more experience. He also needs to develop a consistent 3rd pitch as well. Then there is Charlie Furbush, who at last check is the milb leader in K's, and perhaps one of the biggest surprises of the year in the minors. Brayan Villareal just pitched great in his 2nd AA start, and looks like a solid young arm. Then, there is Jacob Turner-who hopefully would be ready by 2012. I'm not quite as high on him as most, but definitely has front of the rotation potential. Throw in Verlander, Scherzer, and Porcello-and we really have a lot to hope for moving forward. Casey Crosby looked like a fast riser heading into the year, but injuries have basically shelved him for the whole year. If he gets back to where he was in 2009, watch out. We don't have as much hitting as we do pitching in the minors, but I like what I've seen. Strieby should be ready to contribute next year, and perhaps Sizemore will be able to as well.

The best part is all the $$ coming off the books, and Maggs finally coming off as well now that he won't hit his AB minimum. Perhaps he will sign on for a reasonable price, but regardless we have so much $$ finally coming off the books. I am really interested to see how much Dombrowski will spend, and how he will spend it. We need an upgrade at 2 of these 3-Catcher, SS, 3B. I'm fine with Inge at 3B, but we can't have a horrible C and below average SS to go along with Inge. If we are going to have Inge, we need stronger C and SS play offensively.

Sorry for the long read, had to get it all out-lol.

nborton

Aug 7, 2008
Winston-Salem, NC
I think the trade is a neutral thing. Not horrible and not great.

Personally I hope they just play the year out, and wait for next season. They have a really bright future with the amount of youth on the team that already contributes legitimately. All they need to do is sign a few vets with the money coming free next year to round out the team.

The best part about the Tigers is that their pitching staff is REALLY young, and should only improve. Unless a couple of guys regress next year they shouldn't have to do much in that area.

Really all they need to focus on next season is C, SS, and a OF/DH. There's not anyone great that's going to be a free agent after this year to help those spots either. At least of guys I can see them signing. Obviously they aren't get Crawford, etc. I say resign Peralta, and Inge since there's nothing better available for the money.

I'd like to see them sign:

C: Buck (youngest of the catching FA)
OF: DeJesus (missed most of the year so his price might be lower. i feel he's really underrated playing in KC)
DH: Dunn (might be a stretch, but he would be nice to have behind Cabrera)

The sad thing is they have a ton of money to play with, but I'm not sure there's any impact player that they could actually sign.

bmc398

May 25, 2009
Tigers fans= Well thought out and logical explanations of the team.

Yankees and Bo Sox fans= WE rock and everybody else blows.

I agree with pretty much everything that was said on here. Not only am I pissed about Wilkin because I had a small stash but because I too am sick of Ryan Raburn patrolling the outfield and hitting .200 with no power. If Wilkin could get some ABs and get the chance to even get on track at the MLB level he'd be a solid 25+ HR guy and a corner outfielder for us for years to come. I don't see how he could slide past 31 other teams and come back. This sucks.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
Great insight guys.

I agree that we need to upgrade at a few positions to at least average offensive production. Here's a little rundown of each position

-Pitching is one bright spot moving forward. Even though they were more inconsistent than expected this year, we have four pitchers currently in the rotation who have shown flashes of brilliance this year, with some quality prospects only a few years away.

--Verlander is a bonafide #1 and is one of the best in the game. His ability to go deep into games and maintain (if not gain) velocity is simply incredible. I’m very happy that Detroit spent the money to make sure he stays in Detroit for a long time.

-- Scherzer has been inconsistent, but he’s been exceptional since returning from his brief minor league stint. If he can pitch like that, he’s going to be a weapon.

--Porcello is still only 21 years old. He’s got all the potential in the world and I think it may be another year or two before he really starts hitting his stride and putting it all together, but when he does, I think he’s going to be one of the best in the game.

--Galrraga has impressed me this year. I expected nothing out of him since he hasn’t been very good historically, but not only do we get the imperfect game, we get a number of other great outings from him where he holds teams down for 6 or 7 innings. He’s a clear #5…#4 at best… but if you have a #5 that’s capable of shutting teams down, you’re in pretty good shape. I don’t know what to expect from

--Bonderman…sadly, it seems that his better days are behind him. If he can get it together, we all know what he can do, but I don’t know if it’d be reasonable to expect to ever see him return to the great pitcher he was a few years ago.

--Oliver is going to be very good as a #3 or #4. Power lefty who needs to work on his consistency and third pitch. He wasn’t impressive in his ML stint, but trade calls mostly revolved around him and Turner, so other teams saw his potential as well.

--Turner is supposed to be one of the top pitchers of his class, so we’ll see how he pans out.
--I personally think Furbush will end up being a reliever/spot starter, kind of like Bonine. Mostly because there won’t be room for him in the rotation.

-Laird is great behind the plate defensively, couldn't ask for much better in that regard. But both of our catchers have been right around .200 for the whole season. I thought Avila was going to be a better hitter than he has been, and if he can't hit, there's really no need for him (assuming we can pick up an offensive upgrade) since Laird is better defensively.

-Thank heaven for Miguel Cabrera. The one true consistent bright spot on this team. Showed this year that he is the best hitter the American League, if not in baseball. Not only has he hit, he has hit when it matters. His numbers from the 7th inning on are staggering. Then again, his overall numbers are staggering as well.

---I personally hate Jeff Larish. I don’t see what he brings to the team. What I see is that he swings for the moon every time he steps to the plate. He also seems to be great at watching fastballs right down the middle for strike three. After he strikes out, he puts his head down and mopes (yes, mopes. The word “walks” does not describe how pathetic this action truly looks) all the way back to the dugout. Just run your ass back there and get ‘em next time Jeff. It’s embarrassing to watch him. I honestly can’t believe that anyone puts up with such a horrible attitude.

--Between Sizemore and Rhymes, I am hopeful that we can find a second baseman who can field the position and bring a little offense.

-Shortstop has been a disaster as well, once again with essentially no production. We need to find someone to fill this void.

-I'm happy with Inge at third...we saw what he can do in the first half last season and he seemed to be heating up a little bit before the injury this year, plus he plays pretty great defense IMO.

-A-Jax and Boesch have shown that they deserve the two outfield spots. It’d be nice if Boesch could bust out of his current .057 slump and I’d like to see Jackson hit a few more longballs (as he has been advertised to be able to do), but these two have been pretty good overall this year, especially considering they’re both rookies. The way I see it, the third outfield spot is available either for a prospect to step up or for Dombrowski to go spend some of that money on a solid vet.

-The utility guys should remain utility guys and sit the bench until needed. There’s not a utility spot on the field, but Leyland likes to think so because he plays two players who don’t even have a position every game. Between Raburn and Kelly, one of their names is penciled in at every single position on the depth chart.

I’d love to see Ryan Strieby get a chance. I think he’s very capable of being a .250/25/100 guy once he settles in. Maybe give him a shot to fill left field next year, or at least to DH a few games.

As long as people don’t get worse, I think Detroit could be a pretty tough team next year. Pitching will be key, but if they can pick up a little bit of offensive help, they have a shot to contend.

RL24

Dec 12, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
I think you should keep your chin up, anything can happen! Last time the Indians made the playoffs (possibly the last time they ever do :? ) I thought they had no chance, but they beat the Yankees and went up 3-1 on the Red Sox before imploding. :cry:

When the Rays won it they were a really young team... so there is hope!

This move is good news for the Royals, the Indians are actually tied for last place! It's a tight race down here in the basement. :|

hail2thevictors

Jan 20, 2010
Great points.

One thing the Tigers may have to entertain, is trading one of their top prospects for another top prospect. I would really love to see them deal Jacob Turner for a top SS or C prospect(Dee Gordon for example). That would possibly be an option, they would have Oliver in the rotation next year and they could sign a 5th starter or use a 5th starter from within the organization.

One thing I would do if I was Dombrowski, is I would go out there and make a STRONG push for Carl Crawford. Sure, the Rays are going to try and keep him and of course the Yankees are going to be there-but can't we dream? Crawford would be a game changer for us(and any other team). Think about him batting in the 2 or 3 hole, and AJax leading off. And then Miggy. Wow. My thing is, if you are Dombrowski, and you willingly let Maggs reach his AB milestone to kick in his $18 million option-why not pay Crawford $15-$18 million a year? The guy is a complete beast.

If that is unrealistic, they need to do what I have been saying for 3 years now-they need to add some speed. I'm sick of watching us have to hit doubles and HRs to score runs. Earth to Dombrowski and Leyland, ever hear of the stolen base?

Last, I think Leyland needs to go. The game has passed him by, and in my opinion his managing style just isn't getting it done. I don't think this team will reach it's full potential until Leyland is gone-but I don't see that happening for at least another year(bummer).

hail2thevictors

Jan 20, 2010
RL24 said:
I think you should keep your chin up, anything can happen! Last time the Indians made the playoffs (possibly the last time they ever do :? ) I thought they had no chance, but they beat the Yankees and went up 3-1 on the Red Sox before imploding. :cry:

This move is good news for the Royals, the Indians are actually tied for last place! It's a tight race down here in the basement. :|

It's hard to compare the Tigers to the 2007 Indians, or the 2008 Rays. The 2008 Rays were a VERY good team-just ask the Red Sox if you don't believe me. They still are a VERY good team.

The 2007 Indians were a darn good team, with 2 beasts in the rotation.

I don't see much comparison between the Tigers, and those teams. As a Tigers fan, I've just come to the realization that we don't really have it this year. If all things come together, maybe we make a run-it's not out of the question. But the White Sox are hotter than crap right now, and pitching like they could have all season. To leap them and the Twins will be no small task, but who knows what can happen.

RL24

Dec 12, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
hail2thevictors said:
RL24 said:

It's hard to compare the Tigers to the 2007 Indians, or the 2008 Rays. The 2008 Rays were a VERY good team-just ask the Red Sox if you don't believe me. They still are a VERY good team.

The 2007 Indians were a darn good team, with 2 beasts in the rotation.

I don't see much comparison between the Tigers, and those teams. As a Tigers fan, I've just come to the realization that we don't really have it this year. If all things come together, maybe we make a run-it's not out of the question. But the White Sox are hotter than crap right now, and pitching like they could have all season. To leap them and the Twins will be no small task, but who knows what can happen.

Yeah, but you know what they say... "That's why they play the game." Anything can happen! Plus, they say "It's a long season" and if the Tigers catch fire at the right time and the teams who are hot now fall off a bit or have a key injury or two of their own..... Anything can happen!

hail2thevictors

Jan 20, 2010
To the Tigers fans....

What do you think of dealing Johnny Damon? I love the guy, and I think he is the leader on this team and really brings everyone together-but if we could get a nice piece for him, why not trade him?

I wouldn't mind bringing him back next year at $5 or $6 million, but if we could get a nice piece back for him I say let him go. Maybe the Rays would like a guy like Damon, or the Padres, or Reds, etc.

The fact that we dealt FOR Peralta probably means this isn't happening-well it almost assures it isn't happening. But if I were Dave, and I found a team that gave me a nice piece for Damon, I would be pulling the trigger.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
hail2thevictors said:
To the Tigers fans....

What do you think of dealing Johnny Damon? I love the guy, and I think he is the leader on this team and really brings everyone together-but if we could get a nice piece for him, why not trade him?

I wouldn't mind bringing him back next year at $5 or $6 million, but if we could get a nice piece back for him I say let him go. Maybe the Rays would like a guy like Damon, or the Padres, or Reds, etc.

The fact that we dealt FOR Peralta probably means this isn't happening-well it almost assures it isn't happening. But if I were Dave, and I found a team that gave me a nice piece for Damon, I would be pulling the trigger.

I've been saying all along that I don't like how much we spent on him because it was obvious that a lot of his production last year was because of the Yankee Stadium jet stream, but I do like what he brings to the club. I think if Detroit could get pretty much anything of value for him, maybe a decent prospect, it's smart to pull the trigger.

bmc398

May 25, 2009
ALL_THE_HYPE said:
hail2thevictors said:
To the Tigers fans....

I've been saying all along that I don't like how much we spent on him because it was obvious that a lot of his production last year was because of the Yankee Stadium jet stream, but I do like what he brings to the club. I think if Detroit could get pretty much anything of value for him, maybe a decent prospect, it's smart to pull the trigger.

Agreed. The bad part is, if we deal him and can't immediate help for him it signals that we are mailing it in. Why do that when we just stretched on Peralta?

I think everybody but the management has packed it in. This isn't a world series team by far and if we were able to end the year strong (which has been our undoing the past 4 years) and make the playoffs we couldnt get past the Rays or the Yankees....it just wouldnt happen.

There are moves to be made and potential to improve with the minor league arms we have and the $ coming off the books. We'll see where this one goes.

dreamerfan

Aug 10, 2008
Rochester,Mi
I am pretty disappointed in the dfa of Wilkin. I think it is a waste of a talent that we could actually use. I would play him every day and send that broken down 4 AAA player Rayburn out the door or Don Kelly. The trade still gives me no hope for anything this year. I am all for getting Crawford but in reality how many prime of their career free agents come to Detroit? None. So I am sure we will be getting a broken down has been as a free agent. I think that bonderman should hit the door as well. I do really like Oliver as his stuff but I think he is at least a year away from coming up and staying. I just hope Jacob Turner pans out. As for Damon I want him back. I think he is good influence on locker room and I am biased as I really like to hear Pantera when he comes up to the plate.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
Porcello has actually pitched pretty well today. If Cabrera had caught Pena's liner with two outs and the bases loaded, we've got a tie game still. They go as earned runs because he hit it hard, but really that should have been an error on Cabrera...the ball bounced off his foot. But 3 runs on 4 hits, just 1 BB, 6 Ks.

He's looking a lot better since being recalled from Triple A. First start back was great and the last two he's given up 4 runs which could be equated to bad luck (two infield singles that ended up scoring last start, Cabrera's missed catch with 2 outs and the bases loaded today). If he pitches like this next year, I'm hopeful that we'll have a very good top 3 in Verlander, Porcello, and Scherzer.

hail2thevictors

Jan 20, 2010
ALL_THE_HYPE said:
Porcello has actually pitched pretty well today. If Cabrera had caught Pena's liner with two outs and the bases loaded, we've got a tie game still. They go as earned runs because he hit it hard, but really that should have been an error on Cabrera...the ball bounced off his foot. But 3 runs on 4 hits, just 1 BB, 6 Ks.

He's looking a lot better since being recalled from Triple A. First start back was great and the last two he's given up 4 runs which could be equated to bad luck (two infield singles that ended up scoring last start, Cabrera's missed catch with 2 outs and the bases loaded today). If he pitches like this next year, I'm hopeful that we'll have a very good top 3 in Verlander, Porcello, and Scherzer.

You could make a case that Porcello should have a shutout right now(as he leaves the game).

Pena's HR came after a very close pitch, where the replay showed it should have probably been strike 3. Sure looked like a strike to me. And then on Pena's ball he hit with the bases loaded, as you mentioned Cabrera should have had it.

So, it's not far fetched to say he could have left without giving up a run.

Very encouraged with what I've seen-the most impressed with his strikeouts, specifically the 2 K's of Longoria. He hasn't been striking out many at all this year, so this was encouraging.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
JEFF LARISH DFA'd!!!!!!!!!!!!

So happy to be rid of him and his all or nothing swing (which was almost always nothing) and his awful body language.

Tigers called up Jeff Frazier, who has been killing the ball in Toledo this year, despite being a bit old to be considered a real prospect.

Now this is a move I can support. Give the guy who has actually been hitting well a shot at the bigs and get rid of the guy who just isn't good. Now with all these rookies coming up, when is Strieby's turn?

bodiaz

Jan 19, 2009
We should have pinch hit Peralta today for Boesch after they walked Cabrera! We had a LHP, and you still throw Boesch up?!?! Leyland is so God Damned stubborn! Boesch sucks! Send him back to Toledo and get his swing worked out! Damn it Dombroski, why not trade this guy while he was playing so far over his head?

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
bodiaz said:
We should have pinch hit Peralta today for Boesch after they walked Cabrera! We had a LHP, and you still throw Boesch up?!?! Leyland is so God Damned stubborn! Boesch sucks! Send him back to Toledo and get his swing worked out! Damn it Dombroski, why not trade this guy while he was playing so far over his head?

I don't know, I believe Boesch is gonna be a pretty good player moving forward. Everyone struggles here and there, especially rookies. I think this slump is more mental than it is physical. He looks unsure at the plate which is something we didn't see from him until lately. He needs to just know Leyland is gonna keep giving him shots and go up there with the attitude that he is a good hitter. I don't think he'll ever be a .360+ hitter, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him hitting .300-.320 regularly. Right now he just needs his confidence back.