Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Would I be crazy to get these signed?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

flightposite

Aug 7, 2008
Was thinking of getting these signed at twinsfest...

The Leaf Certified Mirror Emerald (numbered to 5)
71ce_1.jpg

Super 1/1.
700f_1.jpg

Facsimile (Less than 50 made).
3171568578_3b50f51036.jpg

25/50
3010058724_46bdc1aff1.jpg

13/25
2724645186_7ed4198135.jpg

2724623396_149d8043f0.jpg

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Anything that does not have a real sig on it is fair game in my book although I think ones without even a facsimile auto look better signed than ones that already have a fac. on them.

wideright

Aug 7, 2008
The emerald would look great signed in silver maybe, but I agree with predator, I don't care for autos on top of facs autos.

subject to change

Aug 7, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
Personally I wouldn't get them signed. I think there are other cards that would be far more visually appealing signed (A&G, Topps/Bowman Heritage, or lower tiers of refractors). From my experience, the LCM cards do not take well to signatures, even if treated beforehand, and I think the Mauer would end up looking identical to the regular Chrome version if you get it signed, negating the novelty of the facsimile version. If you do decide to get them signed, be sure to treat the cards beforehand so the signatures don't bubble.

flightposite

Aug 7, 2008
subject to change said:
Personally I wouldn't get them signed. I think there are other cards that would be far more visually appealing signed (A&G, Topps/Bowman Heritage, or lower tiers of refractors). From my experience, the LCM cards do not take well to signatures, even if treated beforehand, and I think the Mauer would end up looking identical to the regular Chrome version if you get it signed, negating the novelty of the facsimile version. If you do decide to get them signed, be sure to treat the cards beforehand so the signatures don't bubble.

Have you used a paint pen on LCM cards?

subject to change

Aug 7, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
I've never tried a paint pen on the LCM's. I've tried both Sharpie and Lumocolor pen on them, and wasn't really satisfied with either. There was minor pooling with the Sharpie, and both looked 'flat' in my opinion, compared to the results I've had with other high gloss/foil cards. I also noticed that in applying baby powder to the cards they lost their luster, which took away much of the appeal for me.

You may want to try different treatment/pen combinations beforehand on some commons to see what works best.

G

I think they'd be awesome for the PC. Just make sure the ink will look good. ;)

goblue6919

Aug 7, 2008
Don't!

You will kill the value, plus it's always risky to get chrome cards signed unless you rub them down with baby powder or an eraser, and when you do that you pretty much ruin the card.

Buy a case of omlbs and/or some photofile 8x10s, they will look much nicer and they are easier to display.

Therion

Nov 19, 2008
Looooooosiana!
If they are for you and you will never try to part with them: Do it.

If you ever see a need to sell them off for any reason: Don't do it.

It will kill their resale value (destroy it, in fact) but it will make them cooler for a PC.

rico08

Aug 7, 2008
Los Angeles
You'll be meeting the players in person anyway--I think that's a lot cooler than getting a few rare cards signed. After they're inked, they're brand new cards and I don't think that's a good thing.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
I'd avoid it. It will kill the values (short term anyway, ) and you never know if you might want to sell them. I'd find some really nice looking cheaper alternatives for the PC. Just my opinion though, and it's always possible that someday the IP auto'd rarer RC's might command a premium (though I don't really see it any time soon.)

Therion

Nov 19, 2008
Looooooosiana!
Topnotchsy said:
I'd avoid it. It will kill the values (short term anyway, ) and you never know if you might want to sell them. I'd find some really nice looking cheaper alternatives for the PC. Just my opinion though, and it's always possible that someday the IP auto'd rarer RC's might command a premium (though I don't really see it any time soon.)

Honestly, this will only happen once the player dies. So barring any tragedies, we'll all be quite old.

andyduke86

Nov 22, 2008
goblue6919 said:
Don't!

You will kill the value, plus it's always risky to get chrome cards signed unless you rub them down with baby powder or an eraser, and when you do that you pretty much ruin the card.

Buy a case of omlbs and/or some photofile 8x10s, they will look much nicer and they are easier to display.

+1

If you want to get cards signed, I'd just get cheaper parallels that are more common and much less valuable. Those cards are too rare/valuable to get signed IP I think.

cmixer

Aug 9, 2008
as a note - I had a XFRACTOR rookie of current Braves shortstop - decided to get it signed live at a signing, and HATE how it turned out. He used black sharpie when I asked for silver ... I want my money & pristine card back, lol. - but if it had turned out nice, I would have loved it -

Members online

Latest posts