Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

need one book value look up please.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EricInCT

Jan 8, 2009
thank you! Please PM me if you can offer some quick assistance, auction ends in a few hours.

EricInCT

Jan 8, 2009
Jeff N. said:
EricInCT said:
thank you! Please PM me if you can offer some quick assistance, auction ends in a few hours.

BV is meaningless...

It is a rare item, just curious. I have a snipe of 125.01 on it, if it books for 250 I would want to raise that.

Joshua.Roundtree

Mar 12, 2010
Clearwater, FL
EricInCT said:
Jeff N. said:
EricInCT said:

BV is meaningless...

It is a rare item, just curious. I have a snipe of 125.01 on it, if it books for 250 I would want to raise that.

What if it says it only books for $120????? Then what do you do???? Why would what Beckett says a card is worth, affect how much you are willing to pay for it?

No need to insult anyone. Are we really at the point where if someone has a differing viewpoint, insults are the way to go?

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
Joshua.Roundtree said:
EricInCT said:
[quote="Jeff N.":2pf41kxa]
EricInCT said:

BV is meaningless...

What if it says it only books for $120????? Then what do you do???? Why would what Beckett says a card is worth, affect how much you are willing to pay for it? .[/quote:2pf41kxa]

You can advise us what it is and we can offer opinions as to what it's worth.

But, not to sound corny, an item is only worth what 2 people would pay for it...

Joshua.Roundtree

Mar 12, 2010
Clearwater, FL
Joshua.Roundtree said:
EricInCT said:
[quote="Jeff N.":38hc15le]
EricInCT said:

BV is meaningless...

What if it says it only books for $120????? Then what do you do???? Why would what Beckett says a card is worth, affect how much you are willing to pay for it?

No need to insult anyone. Are we really at the point where if someone has a differing viewpoint, insults are the way to go?[/quote:38hc15le]

Realized that came out a little harsh, sorry Eric.

Joshua.Roundtree apologizes.

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
Alpharetta, Georgia, United States
Joshua.Roundtree said:
[quote="Joshua.Roundtree":1qtazcux]
EricInCT said:
[quote="Jeff N.":1qtazcux]
EricInCT said:

BV is meaningless...

No need to insult anyone. Are we really at the point where if someone has a differing viewpoint, insults are the way to go?[/quote:1qtazcux]

Joshua.Roundtree apologizes.[/quote:1qtazcux]

Now apologize again for typing in the third person. You ain't Rickey.

Messier2

Aug 10, 2008
Eric, let us know what card it is when it ends. I'm curious to see what card we are talking about here...

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
Nothing wrong with knowing the BV of something. Beckett is just another data set (just like closed auctions) to help make informed decisions.

Joshua.Roundtree

Mar 12, 2010
Clearwater, FL
cgilmo said:
Joshua.Roundtree said:
[quote="Joshua.Roundtree":19oh74a4]
EricInCT said:
[quote="Jeff N.":19oh74a4]
EricInCT said:

BV is meaningless...

No need to insult anyone. Are we really at the point where if someone has a differing viewpoint, insults are the way to go?

Joshua.Roundtree apologizes.[/quote:19oh74a4]

Now apologize again for typing in the third person. You ain't Rickey.[/quote:19oh74a4]

I is Joshua.Roundtree :lol:

And Joshua.Roundtree ain't never gonna pologize for talkin in the turd person

Seriously though, good luck with the snipe Eric. However, think outside the Beckett, that is kind of all I meant.

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
jeff550 said:
if its a rare card it wont have bv...

Not necessarily true. Many cards are "rare" never appear on ebay yet have a listed price....ie 1997 Finest Embossed Die-Cut Refractors.

Joshua.Roundtree

Mar 12, 2010
Clearwater, FL
George_Calfas said:
Nothing wrong with knowing the BV of something. Beckett is just another data set (just like closed auctions) to help make informed decisions.

Yeah, but where does Beckett get their data? Seems to me most dealers know they have to discount to sometimes as much as 10-15% of the Beckett Hi in order to actually sell something. Beckett lists card at $100 Hi, but the dealer can't get $20 for it? How is the $100 anywhere near an accurate representation of the value of the card? Beckett artificially inflates the value of every listing in their magazine.......except the ones they are buying at the time. I guess I'm just trying to ask, where exactly is BV coming from? Where does that number come from? It comes out of thin air. They make it up.

EricInCT

Jan 8, 2009
No offense taken guys, I appreciate the input.

It is just that I would like to grade this card and don't want to put in the listing "BV300 raw! Impossible to find graded" if I paid 250 raw for the thing. I never do put in "BV" in my listings, but if it books for 300 and I get it for 88 then I would let people know and the person might think they are getting a deal at 350 graded.

RZimm11

Feb 4, 2009
I see where Eric is coming from.

One problem is that other people do still go by BV.

Just because a lot of people here don't, doesn't mean whoever he is bidding against doesn't.

He might just want to put in a competitive bid based on the BV, because whoever he might be bidding against could know its BV and be bidding based on it.

EricInCT

Jan 8, 2009
DWright5 said:

Just because a lot of people here don't, doesn't mean whoever he is bidding against doesn't.

He might just want to put in a competitive bid based on the BV, because whoever he might be bidding against could know its BV and be bidding based on it.

well said, you have been thanked. :D

Joshua.Roundtree

Mar 12, 2010
Clearwater, FL
EricInCT said:
No offense taken guys, I appreciate the input.

It is just that I would like to grade this card and don't want to put in the listing "BV300 raw! Impossible to find graded" if I paid 250 raw for the thing. I never do put in "BV" in my listings, but if it books for 300 and I get it for 88 then I would let people know and the person might think they are getting a deal at 350 graded.

This comment totally lost me. I'm not following. Anyone who thinks $350 is a deal for a card that just sold for $88 because the owner graded it is a tool as well. Do people actually think like this? Maybe I give people TOO much credit.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
Yes there was a thread about this last week. BV is actually pretty good for some cards but not others.

I just think some people like to think they know better than BV, and sometimes this is true, sometimes not...there's just so much stuff out there to keep track of.

DWright5 said:

Members online

Latest posts