Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Raul Valdes tonight - Worst relief performance ever?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

leatherman

Aug 7, 2008
The Atlanta suburbs
Mets (of course) reliever Raul Valdes had an AWFUL appearance tonight. He faced four batters and gave up four hits, including two home runs, and allowed four earned runs. Needless to say, he didn't record an out.

However, I'm gonna give the title of Worst Relief Appearance Ever to Mike Trombley of the Orioles. On May 13, 2000 Trombley entered a game against the Red Sox in the top of the 8th with the Orioles clinging to a 1-0 lead. With a runner on first, Trombley misses with his first pitch to Mike Stanley. Stanley proceeds to hit the next pitch for a 2 run HR. Trombley faces the next batter, Scott Hatteberg, and immediately falls behind 2-0. Hatteberg hits the 2-0 offering for a solo home run. The next batter, Wilton Veras, is drilled by the first pitch, sending him to first base. Donnie Sadler mashes the very next pitch for another 2 run home run.

Let me summarize...Trombley threw a total of 7 pitches. The only "strikes" he threw ended up over the fence, and one of the four "balls" he threw hit a batter. Trombley was taken out of the game at that point, and the Red Sox held on for a 5-1 win. Here is a link to that game: http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes ... 5130.shtml

Hope this makes you feel better, Mr Valdes. Because you made me sick tonight.

David

gregbara

Aug 10, 2008
I just think these guys are mis-managed. How many times can you have a reliever start and stop to warm up before they get into the game.

This same situation happened with KRod. I'm not making excuses for these guys, but its just not the right way to do things.

schmidtfan20

Aug 24, 2008
I think Andrew Casner just read this post. Dude pitched to 6 batters and they all stepped on home plate. This
coming right after the pitcher before him gave up 6.

sigma_chi

Apr 14, 2010
NE Arkansas/SEMO
It should also be noted that Cashner did not record a single out tonight. His last 3 appearances have been insanely bad. Too add to the Cubs misery their #1 setup man Sean Marshall gave up 5 earned in 2/3 of an inning. I think the rockies each batted around twice and at one point had something like 14 straight men reach base including 12 straight hits. It was pretty incredible.

Latest posts