Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Best case investments to hold for 5-10 years?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

brouthercard

Jan 15, 2009
My local dealer recently asked me this question and I really had to think about it for a while, and i'm still thinking about it.

What would be some of the best purchases at the current prices, any sport/product?

We came up with a couple in the shop:

2009 UD Signature Stars baseball
2008 spx football
pretty much any exquisite or the cup product

Anyone else have any ideas?

soccerman034

Aug 12, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
Base:
-Justin Masteron
-Chris Parmlee
-Chris Marrero
-Travis Snider
-Jon Jay
-Zack McCallister
-Tyler Robertson
-Kyle Drabek

Autos:
-Evan Longoria
-Adrian Cardenas
-Clayton Kershaw

Not too bad. 2007 Elite, and 2007 BCDP as well.

Jul 30, 2009
Nothing from 2010 Baseball for sure so far.

2009 EEE
2008 EEE (somewhat)
2008 BDP because the auto CL is mega strong (and chance at aflac autos)
Certain 2005 Donruss products, if you can find them.

mwheeler27

Mar 6, 2009
Famous Fabrics...

...as vintage jerseys continue to grow more scarce with each passing year, in 5-10 years, I think people will have a hunger for vintage memorabilia in cards. :)

brouthercard

Jan 15, 2009
G $MONEY$ said:
brouthercard said:
2008 spx football

curious why you guys came up with this one?

Well, it can be found for less than $100 a box and is not a horrible break. It can be packed out for a relatively cheap price. Also the rookie class still has some superstar potential. 2008 exquisite is impossible to find, 2008 sp authentic is too expensive, so spx seemed like a good "investment" leaving more upwards potential than the more expensive products, if you have faith in the 2008 rookie class, which I do for certain players.

I've pretty much vetoed any bowman/prospect products. If you look at the track record of ANY of these boxes over the last five to eight years, the vast majority will be cheaper in the future than at their peak when the prospects get hot, just as the singles always peak then get cheaper several years down the line.

2001 bowman chome- expensive due only to rarity, and is cheaper now than it's peak
2002 bowman chrome - cheaper now than when Wright was hot despite Mauer being hot
2002 bowman draft, used to be $300, now can be found for less than $100.
2003 bowman chrome - has gone up a little, not really that much
2003 bowman draft - has plummeted in price, used to be a $200 a box, now less than half that
2004 bowman chrome - almost back to the initial factory price
2004 bowman draft - used to be close to $180, now is less than $100
2005 bowman chrome - steady, but can't see it skyrocketing
2005 bowman draft- only around $125, peaked at $200
2006 bowman chrome - cheaper now than at release
2006 bowman draft - despite having one of the most popular BC rookie autos of all time, still can be had for cheaper than what a box cost you when it first came out

and etc. etc.

Rookie products always demonstrate a peak when the cards get hot just as the individual cards in the product themselves - prospectors ALWAYS move on to the next big thing.

So even if you have the greatest prospect of all time go on to actually meet expectations, all the other guys in the set who used to be hot start to fade away, and it keeps the wax price the same. Always happens. Ten years from now, it becomes essentially an all or nothing gamble - that one rookie auto, or a box full of commons.

Even with all the sp prospects products and elite products - they have all peaked and are back to what they were to begin with.

2009 signature stars is a definite flip dependent on Bryce Harper - and the only reason it might be a good investment now is the relatively cheap buy in price (around $45)

Most of the bowman/prospect products are really too high to buy in for a long-term increase in price right now.

I can't see 2008 bowman draft at $120 a box go up that much more 5 years from now. Maybe one or two of the guys will hold up, but the other two-three big names won't be much in the future. Even if they do decent, why would anyone pay any higher than the current prices = not the best investment, per se.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
brouthercard said:
G $MONEY$ said:
brouthercard said:
2008 spx football

Well, it can be found for less than $100 a box and is not a horrible break. It can be packed out for a relatively cheap price. Also the rookie class still has some superstar potential. 2008 exquisite is impossible to find, 2008 sp authentic is too expensive, so spx seemed like a good "investment" leaving more upwards potential than the more expensive products, if you have faith in the 2008 rookie class, which I do for certain players.

I've pretty much vetoed any bowman/prospect products. If you look at the track record of ANY of these boxes over the last five to eight years, the vast majority will be cheaper in the future than at their peak when the prospects get hot, just as the singles always peak then get cheaper several years down the line.

2001 bowman chome- expensive due only to rarity, and is cheaper now than it's peak
2002 bowman chrome - cheaper now than when Wright was hot despite Mauer being hot
2003 bowman draft - has plummeted in price, used to be a $200 a box, now less than half that
2006 bowman draft - despite having one of the most popular BC rookie autos of all time, still can be had for cheaper than what a box cost you when it first came out

and etc. etc.

Rookie products always demonstrate a peak when the cards get hot just as the individual cards in the product themselves - prospectors ALWAYS move on to the next big thing.

So even if you have the greatest prospect of all time go on to actually meet expectations, all the other guys in the set who used to be hot start to fade away, and it keeps the wax price the same. Always happens. Ten years from now, it becomes essentially an all or nothing gamble - that one rookie auto, or a box full of commons.

Even with all the sp prospects products and elite products - they have all peaked and are back to what they were to begin with.

2009 signature stars is a definite flip dependent on Bryce Harper - and the only reason it might be a good investment now is the relatively cheap buy in price (around $45)

Most of the bowman/prospect products are really too high to buy in for a long-term increase in price right now.

I can't see 2008 bowman draft at $120 a box go up that much more 5 years from now. Maybe one or two of the guys will hold up, but the other two-three big names won't be much in the future. Even if they do decent, why would anyone pay any higher than the current prices = not the best investment, per se.

You are right on about prospect sets. The highest prices almost always come at the point where some of the players begin performing in the Bigs, but while the set is new enough that no one has written off the rest of the players as busts. Afterward it's generally downhill from there. So few prospects make it, that even if a few do, it becomes trying to find a needle in a haystack.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
Topnotchsy said:
brouthercard said:
G $MONEY$ said:
brouthercard said:
2008 spx football

and etc. etc.

You are right on about prospect sets. The highest prices almost always come at the point where some of the players begin performing in the Bigs, but while the set is new enough that no one has written off the rest of the players as busts. Afterward it's generally downhill from there. So few prospects make it, that even if a few do, it becomes trying to find a needle in a haystack.

The only way a prospect case is good to hold for that long is if it is the product from which the BEST rookie card auto of at least one or two players who are now superstar status.

I could see 2008 being decent because it has guys like Stanton and Posey who appear to have some star power, plus the other autos on the checklist are some other guys who could definitely make some noise (Montero, Davis, Beckham, Montgomery). Only problem is that three of the guys were redemptions.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
yankeesfan24 said:
09 BDPP, depending on how Trout finishes the season

The question was which product would be best investment for 5-10 years, not to hold until next spring training.

A single guy's autos going from $40 to $60 isn't going to make a difference in case price either.

nyc3

Aug 20, 2008
mwheeler27 said:
Famous Fabrics...

...as vintage jerseys continue to grow more scarce with each passing year, in 5-10 years, I think people will have a hunger for vintage memorabilia in cards. :)

AHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHA

1st4040

Aug 10, 2008
New Bedford, Ma.
the only boxes I see holding good value as time goes on are stuff that have a combination of current stars and HOF'ers and a mix of auto's and patches.

04 Absolute Update
05 Prime Patches
05 Ultimate

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
I would say for the price right now, the card stock quality, and the player selection, nothing comes close to 2006 Bowman Chrome.

KOBEARODLT

Sep 29, 2008
G $MONEY$ said:
brouthercard said:
2008 spx football

same here, only the best rc autos of the rc's (exquisite and sp authentic) will hold value, spx also have ugly stickers which stick out badly on the foilboard

All In Cards

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
2009 UD Ultimate Collection, with 3 to 4 jumbo patches per case, all on card autos. Stuff really has no where to go but up. Only downfall is the few redemptions.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts