Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Autographed team baseball PSA/DNA?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
Has anyone ever submitted a baseball to PSA? I'm trying to find 1) the price and 2) their turnaround time and can't seem to find either for a team ball. Then again, I'm an idiot, so........

Also, does one need to be a member of PSA for the PSA/DNA service to autograph a ball? I used to be a member, but I've let that lapse and if I want to grade cards, I'd rather do it through BGS...

nyc3

Aug 20, 2008
http://www.psadna.com/fees.chtml

where it says

Authentication Fees for Multi-Signed Items

SEARCH BY NAME
Primary Signer's Last Name

Put the most valuable signer in the box and how many signatures are on the ball. If it has multiple big names dont sweat it just pick who you think the draw would be.

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
nyc3 said:
http://www.psadna.com/fees.chtml

where it says

Authentication Fees for Multi-Signed Items

SEARCH BY NAME
Primary Signer's Last Name

Put the most valuable signer in the box and how many signatures are on the ball. If it has multiple big names dont sweat it just pick who you think the draw would be.

I've seen this:

Next, determine the additional grading fee if your item has 1 – 3 autographs, or 4+ autographs and look at the chart below.For 1 – 3 autographs, all autographs individually graded.
If Autograph Authentication Fee = Grading Fee =
$10-$49 $15
$50-$99 $25
$100-$250 $50
For 4+ autographs, grades are averaged. $100
For multi-signed items, you may request individual grades for one or more selected autographs: In the event that the submitter would like only one autograph graded on a multi-signed piece, the submitter must call for pre-approval from PSA. This will be allowed on a case by case basis. For example, if you have a Babe Ruth player contract and only want the Babe Ruth autograph graded (instead of having all of the baseball official and executive autographs graded on the contract) – this service may be available to you. Please call in advance for pre-approval and instructions. Pre-approval required.

Call (800) 325-1121 or e-mail [email protected]

Finally, calculate the total by adding the cost of the autograph authentication and the cost for grading.

Example 1: A single signed Babe Ruth baseball would be $150 for the Authentication Fee. Based on chart B above, it would be $50 for the Grading Fee, for a total fee of $200.
Example 2: Mickey Mantle/Stan Musial signed baseball would be $75 for the Mantle or more expensive autograph. Since there are two autographs, on Chart A, the Authentication Fee would be $100. Based on Chart B, the Grading fee would be $50, for a total fee of $150.

---
It's a late 50s Yankees team ball, with 25+ autos. The big draw, obviously, is Mantle who is a $100 autnetication fee. I'm really not sure about the grading fee + the authentication fee. I really don't tremendously care about the grade, just the authenticity.

nyc3

Aug 20, 2008
jeff if I am reading that correctly thats if you wants each autograph GRADED, which you dont you just want them authenticated correct?

If you want just pm me the details and I can look it up for you.

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
nyc3 said:
jeff if I am reading that correctly thats if you wants each autograph GRADED, which you dont you just want them authenticated correct?

Grading would be nice, but I mostly want authentication for selling purposes. I had done a lot of research on this ball and posted a lot of it here about 2 years ago. Unfortunately, that research was wiped off of this board, and I'm going to ask you guys for more help on this ball in the coming days. I believe I had concluded that it was a 58 Yankees team ball, though. Ford, Rizzuto, Berra, and Mantle were the main autos.

nyc3

Aug 20, 2008
Jeff N. said:
nyc3 said:

Grading would be nice, but I mostly want authentication for selling purposes. I had done a lot of research on this ball and posted a lot of it here about 2 years ago. Unfortunately, that research was wiped off of this board, and I'm going to ask you guys for more help on this ball in the coming days. I believe I had concluded that it was a 58 Yankees team ball, though. Ford, Rizzuto, Berra, and Mantle were the main autos.

Cool I will be look forward to seeing it.

Leaf

Aug 7, 2008
Jeff N. said:
Does one need to be a PSA member to submit to PSA/DNA?

Jeff, psa is coming to my place in 2-3 weeks... I can do the ball for you ...
Pm if I can help... Bg

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
So I was on the site today looking for PSA's phone number when I stumbled across the actual charts...

* Authentication for 2-4 signatures ranges between $50-$250 depending upon the premier autograph. * Authentication for 5-19 signatures ranges between $100-$250 depending upon the premier autograph. * Authentication for 20 or more signatures ranges between $150-$250 depending upon the premier autograph.

FOR EXAMPLE: To determine the fee of your item, first, look up the fee for the premier autograph. Next, count the total number of signatures. Then, refer to the chart below for the final price.
# of Signatures Single Signed 2 Signatures 3-4 Signatures 5-19 Signatures 20+ Signatures
Premier Autograph
The premier autograph is the autograph that holds the most value $20 $35 $50 $100 $150
$25 $35 $50 $100 $150
$30 $50 $75 $100 $150
$50 $75 $75 $100 $150
$75 $100 $100 $100 $150
$100 $100 $100 $100 $150
$150 $150 $150 $150 $150
$200 $200 $200 $200 $200
$250 $250 $250 $250 $250

Turnaround time is approximately 20 business days once we receive your submission at our office. Turnaround is also dependent upon demand.

It'll cost $150 to certify the autos on the ball and another $75 to grade it.

The ball is 50 years old and looks it. Do you think it's worth grading (I'll eventually get pictures up).

For those of you who deal in vintage memorabilia like this, does the grade really matter? It's not going to "gem", that's for sure. Also, is PSA/DNA better than, equal to, or worse than James Spence?

I'm 100% sure it's authentic, I just want to get the best market value. I'm not a Yankees fan, have never been a Yankees fan,and this ball does nothing to me. I'd rather have a 2008 WS Phillies team ball. :)

nyc3

Aug 20, 2008
Jeff I am not sure how you are positive its legit but let it be know Mantle on old team balls it seems better than 80% of the time its a clubhouse signature. If you can post a picture of it I may be of some help.

As for the grade effecting the value if it grades an 9 or 10 you would see an increase in value but I am not sure about if a less of a grade decreases the value also.

Also Jeff I am not sure where you live but you should go in person to a show when they are taking submissions, it would save you some cash on shipping back and forth.

And finally my personal prefernce with mantle is JSA over PSA just because I have seen far more fake Mantles in PSA holders than JSA.

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
nyc3 said:
Jeff I am not sure how you are positive its legit but let it be know Mantle on old team balls it seems better than 80% of the time its a clubhouse signature. If you can post a picture of it I may be of some help.

As for the grade effecting the value if it grades an 9 or 10 you would see an increase in value but I am not sure about if a less of a grade decreases the value also.

Also Jeff I am not sure where you live but you should go in person to a show when they are taking submissions, it would save you some cash on shipping back and forth.

And finally my personal prefernce with mantle is JSA over PSA just because I have seen far more fake Mantles in PSA holders than JSA.

I'm inTampa. Not too many big shows here. You're right, it may be a clubhouse signature, although I'm not sure if Mantle was "superstarry" enough in the late 50s to warrant a clubhouse signature. My assertion of the legitmacy was that the ball has been in my possession since the early 80s, and in my dads since the 50s. It is an old Yankees team ball -- is it a clubhouse auto? Perhaps. That would suck, but... so be it. I will post pics tonight.

Jastermereel

Dec 20, 2008
I see you found the price. They will charge $150 to authenticate it. Don't get it graded. Huge waste of money.

And, yes, you need a PhD in reading fine-print to determine what PSA/DNA charges for stuff.

Jastermereel

Dec 20, 2008
Jeff N. said:
nyc3 said:

I'm inTampa. Not too many big shows here. You're right, it may be a clubhouse signature, although I'm not sure if Mantle was "superstarry" enough in the late 50s to warrant a clubhouse signature. My assertion of the legitmacy was that the ball has been in my possession since the early 80s, and in my dads since the 50s. It is an old Yankees team ball -- is it a clubhouse auto? Perhaps. That would suck, but... so be it. I will post pics tonight.

I had a 50's Dodgers ball a while back. You'd be surprised which "lesser" guys would have clubhouse sigs.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
Since the OP's question appears to have been answered, I'll ask mine here.

I have a book that's auto'd by Mantle, Mays, Aaron, Musial, Branca and Thomson. 99% sure it is real (seller provided the ticket stubs from signings, the auto's all look spot-on, and it's not like they are all big names) and he was also selling other items at the same time that I am sure were legit.

My question was whether or not it was worth authenticating the signatures at all, just getting the Mantle authenticated, or getting them all done. I assume to get them all would be $100+ (did not completely follow the pricing above) and for Mantle alone would be a bit less.

nyc3

Aug 20, 2008
Topnotchsy said:

I have a book that's auto'd by Mantle, Mays, Aaron, Musial, Branca and Thomson. 99% sure it is real (seller provided the ticket stubs from signings, the auto's all look spot-on, and it's not like they are all big names) and he was also selling other items at the same time that I am sure were legit.

My question was whether or not it was worth authenticating the signatures at all, just getting the Mantle authenticated, or getting them all done. I assume to get them all would be $100+ (did not completely follow the pricing above) and for Mantle alone would be a bit less.

I think mantle alone is 100 and if who you said are the only other autographs I cant see them charging more than 150-175

Jastermereel

Dec 20, 2008
Topnotchsy said:

I can't remember what you have into it, but after you pay PSA/DNA's fee, I think you're looking at breaking even.

CompleteGibberish

Sep 14, 2009
Some of it is crazy.
I mean,Bryce harper costs the same as Mantle to authenticate ?
Glad I am not selling my ball, but the prices seem skewed badly. That video showing the Mantle's passing 8 authenticating services and failing 3 was enough to tell me it's all best guess work . Then again,with the economy getting worse, I can understand the need to shed weight

Good luck with your endeavor.

And remember CYOA in any event :)

Members online

Latest posts