Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Pitchers with a True 80 Pitch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joshua.Roundtree

Mar 12, 2010
Clearwater, FL
Post a Major League pitcher who throws a true '80' pitch on the 20-80 scale and which pitch, I'll start.....

James Shields' change-up sickness defined. When you can throw a change-up four straight times and get three swings and misses from Mark Teixeira its gooooooddddd.

mudflap02

Jan 23, 2009
Daytona Beach, FL
Joshua.Roundtree said:
Post a Major League pitcher who throws a true '80' pitch on the 20-80 scale and which pitch, I'll start.....

James Shields' change-up sickness defined. When you can throw a change-up four straight times and get three swings and misses from Mark Teixeira its gooooooddddd.

I have no idea what you're talking about. Do you mean which pitcher has the best pitch in baseball? There are some guys in MLB who are soooooooooooooooo sick bro.

SamHell

Jun 12, 2010
Texas
Neftali Feliz fastball. Quite a few guys that can throw upper 90's. Very few that can touch 100 with movement and control.

AKA Coastal

Aug 7, 2008
Liriano's Slider.
Stras Fastball
Kershaw Curve
Carmona Sinker
Knuckle Wakefield
Changeup Hamels
Cutter Rivera
Splitter Haren
Palmball Halladay
Forkball Contreras

Joshua.Roundtree

Mar 12, 2010
Clearwater, FL
mudflap02 said:
Joshua.Roundtree said:

I have no idea what you're talking about. Do you mean which pitcher has the best pitch in baseball? There are some guys in MLB who are soooooooooooooooo sick bro.

I mean players who throw a true '80' pitch. I know there are many great MLB pitchers but there are not many guys that have an '80' pitch. Not many guys can hit mid 90s but that doesn't mean that they don't have pitches are they just as hard to hit. Ask Andruw Jones about his day against Shields earlier this season. Three ABs, 13 pitches, ALL change-ups, two foul tips, 9 swings and misses, 2 called strikes. 3 Ks.

Sam Hell - Neftali Feliz FB qualifies. Wicked pitch. Strasburgs FB would qualify as well.

Joshua.Roundtree

Mar 12, 2010
Clearwater, FL
AKA Coastal said:
Liriano's Slider.
Stras Fastball
Kershaw Curve
Carmona Sinker
Knuckle Wakefield
Changeup Hamels
Cutter Rivera
Splitter Haren
Palmball Halladay
Forkball Contreras

Good list. I was thinking Rivera's cutter would be the first pitch mentioned.

rico08

Aug 7, 2008
Los Angeles
mudflap02 said:
Joshua.Roundtree said:

The 20-80 scale is what some scouts use to evaluate player talent. Power, speed, arm, fielding, pitch-type, etc.

The scale, however, isn't definitive and might differ from scout to scout. But since we're on a message board, an 80 is your favorite pitcher's best pitch.

rico08

Aug 7, 2008
Los Angeles
AKA Coastal said:
Liriano's Slider.
Stras Fastball
Kershaw Curve
Carmona Sinker
Knuckle Wakefield
Changeup Hamels
Cutter Rivera
Splitter Haren
Palmball Halladay
Forkball Contreras

I read Kershaw's curve is so good umpires have a difficult time calling the pitch. In my opinion, he should mix in a slider/change and try the curve as a swing-and-miss offering rather than a throw-for-a-strike pitch.

yankeesfan24

rico08 said:
mudflap02 said:
Joshua.Roundtree said:

The 20-80 scale is what some scouts use to evaluate player talent. Power, speed, arm, fielding, pitch-type, etc.

The scale, however, isn't definitive and might differ from scout to scout. But since we're on a message board, an 80 is your favorite pitcher's best pitch.
Ivan Nova has an 80 fastball, changeup, and slider if that is the case :lol:

AKA Coastal

Aug 7, 2008
yankeesfan24 said:
rico08 said:
mudflap02 said:
Joshua.Roundtree said:

Whys Nova's stuff so cheap? He's been great this season and is a yankees prospect. What gives?

yankeesfan24

AKA Coastal said:
yankeesfan24 said:
rico08 said:
mudflap02 said:
[quote="Joshua.Roundtree":1d76yoeb]Post a Major League pitcher who throws a true '80' pitch on the 20-80 scale and which pitch, I'll start.....

Whys Nova's stuff so cheap? He's been great this season and is a yankees prospect. What gives?[/quote:1d76yoeb]
I dont know? 10-2, 2.80 ERA, but hey, i will take refractors for $2 and Orange refractors for $20 for the pc ALL DAY

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
bigpapiMA32 said:
What about Cliff Lee's fastball? It may not be overpowering, but he can sure as hell locate it.

Unfortunately location and command do not have an effect on the scouting scale of a pitch. Lee's Fastball would be a 60 at best.

Skrip

rymflaherty

Aug 7, 2008
Watching Buchholz pitch right now.....he may not be at the elite level yet, but when he is on he's got some nasty stuff.
Especially when that curve is moving 12 to 6.

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
After watching the disaster known as the Marlins relief pitchers, I've noticed the all throw an 80 gopher ball

SamHell

Jun 12, 2010
Texas
ballerskrip said:
bigpapiMA32 said:
What about Cliff Lee's fastball? It may not be overpowering, but he can sure as hell locate it.

Unfortunately location and command do not have an effect on the scouting scale of a pitch. Lee's Fastball would be a 60 at best.

Skrip

Probably right on his fastball. What makes a guy like Lee so effective is that while he may not have the 70-80 pitch, he does have multiple 60+ plus pitches with 65-70 command. Lee's fastball may only be above average, but he combines it with an above average changeup and cutter.

If anybody is confused about scouting reports, I would recommend taking a look at this example.
http://www.bbtia.com/home/2010/6/2/high ... ndo-9.html
BBTIA is one of my favorite sites and Jason Parks does an excellent job showing how scouts would grade a player(especially prospects).

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
I wonder who has the best 3-pack of pitches on the scout scale.

First person that comes to mind for me is Justin Verlander with an upper-90s fastball that maintains late into games and touches 100 (probably 70 or 80), a big power curveball (probably 70), and a pretty good changeup (60?).

What other pitchers have three great pitches?

pigskincardboard

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
Linear weights (http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?p ... 10&month=0) aren't everyone's cup of tea, but:

FB:

Hudson, Lee, Ubaldo, Johnson, Cahill, Santana, Richard, Latos

SL:

Liriano, Gregerson, Wells, Johnson, Dempster, Latos

Cutter:

Halladay, Lester, Niese, Danks, Garcia, Pettite,

Curve:

Wainwright, Gio Gonzalez, Carpenter, Halladay, Myers

Change-Up:

Marcum, Hernandez, Danks, Pavano, Shields, Kennedy, Lester,

You can sort by the value per 100, or just accumulated value. I chose to sort by accumulated value, just because value per 100 often favours those that've not accumulated enough data to warrant certainty.

It makes sense just to look at the overall picture, ie. who has the highest value per 100 while accumulating at least 20pts.

Members online

Latest posts