Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Thoughts on Zack Wheeler

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ubersweet987

Jul 17, 2009
What are everyone's thoughts on him? Personally, I think he is going to be a great pitcher and I'm really happy that the Giants didn't trade him because of their success with pitchers.
I have a huge stash of him that I'll scan when I'm home including
(7) Refractors
(2) Xfractors
(3) Blue Refractors
(2) Gold Refs

Joshua.Roundtree

Mar 12, 2010
Clearwater, FL
My only concern would be the production thus far, or lack thereof.

Plus they've been using him in relief lately, not a great sign for future cardboard success.

Giants do develop pitchers very well though, so anything can happen. I just think his prices are too high for what he has shown.

Jan 15, 2009
Joshua.Roundtree said:

Plus they've been using him in relief lately, not a great sign for future cardboard success.

Giants do develop pitchers very well though, so anything can happen. I just think his prices are too high for what he has shown.
They have been using him in relief to get him back into the jest of things after being injured for a while. He told me he will be a starter.

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
Alpharetta, Georgia, United States
GiantsSuperCollector said:
Joshua.Roundtree said:

They have been using him in relief to get him back into the jest of things after being injured for a while. He told me he will be a starter.

You realize that he doesn't have a crystal ball right? Young pitchers just don't know what role they will be in this early. Sure, hes a starter now, but that means very little when you consider his overall career path.

19braves77

Oct 23, 2008
Pensacola, FL
Con's:

String of odd injuries
Velocity has been down since ST but it is a mystery as to why. Its not dead arm.
Delivery is still inconsistent even with MLB instruction

Pro's:

Youth is where his value is at

What you want to see next year is a complete start over. 10 was a lost year and it wouldn't do any harm to send him to regular season ball a month later next year then normal.

MarlinsManiac20

Mar 14, 2010
cgilmo said:
Joshua.Roundtree said:

You realize that he doesn't have a crystal ball right? Young pitchers just don't know what role they will be in this early. Sure, hes a starter now, but that means very little when you consider his overall career path.
^ That is 100% true. When the Indians took Alex White in the draft last year their goal was to make him into a mid reliever/power closer. After having success they let him stay as the ace of the staff. So anything can really happen.

Jan 15, 2009
MarlinsManiac20 said:
cgilmo said:
Joshua.Roundtree said:

^ That is 100% true. When the Indians took Alex White in the draft last year their goal was to make him into a mid reliever/power closer. After having success they let him stay as the ace of the staff. So anything can really happen.
That is what management has told him...

C-Note92

Aug 7, 2008
It is wayyyyyyyyyyyyy too early to give up on Zack Wheeler, with his great arm he just needs to stay healthy. The Giants have been great at bringing up pitching prospects which is another upside. I say just give him some time and before long you will see what made him the 6th overall pick.

brouthercard

Jan 15, 2009
I sold all of mine.

He will always be overshadowed by Lincy, Cain and MadBum.

No. 4's or No. 5's traditionally don't sell too well.

lisu

Aug 8, 2008
Mountain View, CA
C-Note92 said:
It is wayyyyyyyyyyyyy too early to give up on Zack Wheeler, with his great arm he just needs to stay healthy. The Giants have been great at bringing up pitching prospects which is another upside. I say just give him some time and before long you will see what made him the 6th overall pick.

I agree. He's young and has a lot of upside potential. Also, who's to say that Lincy, Cain, and MadBum will be in SF in 3-4 years when Zack is ready? Also, I think Michael Main has better upside now that he's been traded to SF.

t3dudek

Mar 20, 2010
Also, who's to say that Lincy, Cain, and MadBum will be in SF in 3-4 years when Zack is ready?

I believe the same thing. Who knows what the Giants will look like in 3-4 years. They could make a blockbuster trade an Lincy is gone (doubtful) or more realistically a trade for a bat where Cain or madbum is gone Or one of them just does preform well in 3-4 years.

Wheeler is gonna be brought around at his own pace so dont expect much from him in card sales for 2-3 years atleast.

I have been buying his cards here an there. I have 2 aflacs an a bunch of chromes an elite's but will i buy the super expensive ones prob not because i like others dont want to get burned if he does turn into a reliever or just another washed up prospect.

darocker80

Aug 7, 2008
Lincecum Land
Why would you sell now.....?

His velocity is still sitting in mid 90s so that's a plus and with his ability he can go on a tear in the minors and when BA notices this card prices will go up.

Joshua.Roundtree

Mar 12, 2010
Clearwater, FL
Funny how nobody has mentioned his August 7th gem of an appearance.

1.1IP 1H 1R 1ER 4BB 3K

So when BA notices he's doing well his prices will go up darocker? First off, he has to actually do well. And they did have a Zack Wheeler write up in the Daily Dish today (Monday) talking about *gasp* his lack of control and overall inconsistency.

Edit: Zack Wheeler is a year older than his draft class. He's been 20 the entire summer. He's already a year behind.

Members online