Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Antti Niemi is now an Unrestricted Free Agent

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pghbuccos

Aug 7, 2008
PixBurgh
the Blackhawks have decided not to pay Antti Niemi the $2.75 million salary he was awarded by an arbitrator on Saturday. Niemi is now an unrestricted free agent and can sign with any team he wants. Niemi has only played 42 games in the NHL but played all but 1 Period in goal for the Hawks during the 2010 Playoffs. he had a 16-6 post season record with a 2.63 goals-against average, .910 save percentage and recorded 2 shutouts.

the Blackhawks will reportedly sign G Marty Turco to a 1 year $1.3 million deal today.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=329318

adamcm

Aug 7, 2008
I think many people will be surprised by this, but honestly not a bad move for the Blackhawks. Shed some payroll, get a reliable goalie in his last years and motivated for another Cup.

I feel bad for the Hawks fans though that ended up picking up Niemi, and Byfuglien jerseys!

stu

Jan 24, 2010
Niemi has almost as many wins as Marty does in his career. Dear Chicago, prepare to be underwhelmed.

Sly

Aug 7, 2008
adamcm said:
I think many people will be surprised by this, but honestly not a bad move for the Blackhawks. Shed some payroll, get a reliable goalie in his last years and motivated for another Cup.

I feel bad for the Hawks fans though that ended up picking up Niemi, and Byfuglien jerseys!

Sad part is...I think they've still got more payroll to cut.

What's more surprising to me is that the Hawks were willing to pay him $2M going into arbitration, but they say no to $2.75M?? I think there will be an uproar in Chicago over this...I mean, the guy led them to The Cup!!

With that said...I still can't say I was TOO terribly impressed with Niemi.

G $MONEY$

Feb 8, 2009
Calgary
Wow, thats pretty amazing news!!! Maybe San Jose signs Niemi? or maybe he ends up in KHL? :lol:

really sucks for the Hawks fans who have bought his jerseys and RCs

gonzagacubs

Aug 7, 2008
Glenpool, OK
My heart sunk a bit when I heard this on the radio on the way home from work a little while ago. Thankfully I did not invest any money into Niemi. The Hossa signing is really what caused this. Now we lose a potential all-star goaliew who could have been a franchise player for the Hawks in the years to come, and are now stuck with Turco. ::facepalm:: Our goalie situation looks really really bad right now.

hawkfandan

Aug 7, 2008
4600 North Chicago, IL
gonzagacubs said:
My heart sunk a bit when I heard this on the radio on the way home from work a little while ago. Thankfully I did not invest any money into Niemi. The Hossa signing is really what caused this. Now we lose a potential all-star goaliew who could have been a franchise player for the Hawks in the years to come, and are now stuck with Turco. ::facepalm:: Our goalie situation looks really really bad right now.

Turco & Crawford? I bet they bury Huet in the minors.

gonzagacubs

Aug 7, 2008
Glenpool, OK
hawkfandan said:
gonzagacubs said:

Turco & Crawford? I bet they bury Huet in the minors.

Yeah the way they have been talking, Huet is around a $5 mil cap hit, and the only way the Hawks make the cap is if he is in the minors.

AK11

May 24, 2010
I saw about Niemi on the ESPN ticker this afternoon. After proving himself by helping the squad win a Cup and then bailing on him for an arguably aging goalie because of money just doesn't make a lot of sense. For the management to think it makes sense, this is why the Hawks went through a rough period before their playoff runs the last couple of years. :?

pghbuccos

Aug 7, 2008
PixBurgh
I don't understand how they could offer him $2 million and then turn down $2.75 million either. Turco is washed up and doesn't really seem like his heart is in the game anymore.

Huet is a $5.625 million cap hit and yes the only way for it not to hurt the Hawks is to send him to the AHL. the Hawks are still $1 million over the cap. the Hawks also stated last week that they operated at a loss last season. not many teams win the Stanley Cup and not make money. they also announced that ticket prices will increase 20% this season.

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
As a Hawks fan, I'm surprised they didn't try to trade him. He, like Big Buff, was at his peak after an amazing run last year, but I think both of them played above their talent.

adamcm

Aug 7, 2008
200lbhockeyplayer said:
As a Hawks fan, I'm surprised they didn't try to trade him. He, like Big Buff, was at his peak after an amazing run last year, but I think both of them played above their talent.

Agree 100%

gonzagacubs

Aug 7, 2008
Glenpool, OK
pghbuccos said:
I don't understand how they could offer him $2 million and then turn down $2.75 million either. Turco is washed up and doesn't really seem like his heart is in the game anymore.

Huet is a $5.625 million cap hit and yes the only way for it not to hurt the Hawks is to send him to the AHL. the Hawks are still $1 million over the cap.
the Hawks also stated last week that they operated at a loss last season. not many teams win the Stanley Cup and not make money. they also announced that ticket prices will increase 20% this season

This kinda upsets me. I don't believe for a second they lost money last year. If I remember correctly, every home game was a sell-out, and with the abundance of merchandise sales there is no way they lost money. Hockey games are already expensive as it is, why raise prices? Obviously, I know the answer to this, but as someone who has never been to a Hawks game and has aspirations of going to one in the near future. This sucks.

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
gonzagacubs said:
pghbuccos said:

Huet is a $5.625 million cap hit and yes the only way for it not to hurt the Hawks is to send him to the AHL. the Hawks are still $1 million over the cap.
the Hawks also stated last week that they operated at a loss last season. not many teams win the Stanley Cup and not make money. they also announced that ticket prices will increase 20% this season

This kinda upsets me. I don't believe for a second they lost money last year. If I remember correctly, every home game was a sell-out, and with the abundance of merchandise sales there is no way they lost money. Hockey games are already expensive as it is, why raise prices? Obviously, I know the answer to this, but as someone who has never been to a Hawks game and has aspirations of going to one in the near future. This sucks.
The apple didn't fall far from the tree apparently.

All I know is that they won the Cup...and I'll be content for the next decade.

jarcar

Aug 7, 2008
Vancouver Canada
adamcm said:
200lbhockeyplayer said:

Agree 100%

+1 Niemi didn't win the Hawks the cup, he just didn't lose it. The Hawks won't win or lose the cup this year because of goaltending.

coltsnsox07

Aug 19, 2008
I'm one of those casual Blackhawks fans who loved hearing Pat Foley's "Niemi...says no!" and that pose Dustin Byfuglien would strike after scoring! I'm really gonna miss that..

Members online

Latest posts