Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Billy Williams Sweet Spot Jumbo Logo Patch - Real or Fake?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bear0555

Aug 27, 2008
I'm almost positive the billy williams ss jumbo logo that just ended is real. I recall seeing other parts of this logo close to release. Since I'm the one who bought it, I am looking for other opinions to verify my memory before I pay for it. And if anyone has scans of the other logo patches saved, I'd greatly appreciate them.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... K:MEWAX:IT

nyc3

Aug 20, 2008
I personally wouldn't have touched it just because of the damage on the window which is usually a real bad sign. Those folds unless are on most of the patch cards are oddly on the same side which I dont like. Did this set have some sweet patches yes, but in the end that only means little with those creases on the window.

schillingfan

Jul 9, 2010
York, PA
nyc3 said:
I personally wouldn't have touched it just because of the damage on the window which is usually a real bad sign. Those folds unless are on most of the patch cards are oddly on the same side which I dont like. Did this set have some sweet patches yes, but in the end that only means little with those creases on the window.

x2

Definitely seems like a fake to me.

383astro

Jan 13, 2009
Oklahoma
If this is fake i would like to have the real swatch for a custom card. I wonder if I could email them and see if I can buy the original patch? Also it is numbered 26/52. Wasnt 26 his uni #? That means its a 1/1 right?

coltsnsox07

Aug 19, 2008
I'm always questioning sleeve or anniversary patches that take up the entire window of the card.

bear0555

Aug 27, 2008
I guess that explains the ending price. I am 99% it is real as I could have sworn the other sleeve patches were from the top of the cub logo (including one logo swatch mistakenly switched with a bo jackson). Also, I have three of the patches from this set and each has creases. :( For some reason, I just assume collectors would know this stuff so it is certainly helpful to see the opinions so thanks for them. I'll examine the patch closely when it arrives.

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
Alpharetta, Georgia, United States
I am assuming you are talking about the creases on the corners of the patch window. Those creases are perfectly normal and are in a ton of pack pulled jumbo sweet spot patches from that year.

mrwhitesox30

Oct 7, 2008
I've been trying to save scans of every Sweet Spot Classic patch, and that's the first Billy Williams I've seen of that serial number. Of the rest that have shown up, there's only one other Williams with a logo patch and one logo patch on a Bo Jackson. UD mixed those two up, so there are a few cards of each player with patches from the other guy. There's also a Billy Williams patch with a sweet Royals logo.

You'll notice that your patch lines up perfectly with 33/52. I'd say your patch is real, and if I were in the market for it I would be comfortable buying it. The fact that it looks fake probably influenced the final price, but since UD cut up a modern jersey, they're not as valuable as they would be if it was from his playing days.

BillyWilliams33-5212-11-09326.jpg
BoJackson31-4812-19-0914350.jpg

bear0555

Aug 27, 2008
mrwhitesox30 said:
I've been trying to save scans of every Sweet Spot Classic patch, and that's the first Billy Williams I've seen of that serial number. Of the rest that have shown up, there's only one other Williams with a logo patch and one logo patch on a Bo Jackson. UD mixed those two up, so there are a few cards of each player with patches from the other guy. There's also a Billy Williams patch with a sweet Royals logo.

You'll notice that your patch lines up perfectly with 33/52. I'd say your patch is real, and if I were in the market for it I would be comfortable buying it. The fact that it looks fake probably influenced the final price, but since UD cut up a modern jersey, they're not as valuable as they would be if it was from his playing days.

This is the exact information I am looking for and confirms what I believed. I don't remember the royals patch but I did write down the final price for it. And even though the swatch is not the old wool material, I still believe the jersey is from his playing days due to the light blue uniform color. However, your game used uniform knowledge is better than mine. Thanks a lot for the help.

IndyManning18

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
383astro said:
If this is fake i would like to have the real swatch for a custom card. I wonder if I could email them and see if I can buy the original patch? Also it is numbered 26/52. Wasnt 26 his uni #? That means its a 1/1 right?
No, that doesn't mean it's a 1/1. It means it's #26/52.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
IndyMann said:
383astro said:
No, that doesn't mean it's a 1/1. It means it's #26/52.

Thank you.

mrwhitesox30

Oct 7, 2008
bear0555 said:
mrwhitesox30 said:

This is the exact information I am looking for and confirms what I believed. I don't remember the royals patch but I did write down the final price for it. And even though the swatch is not the old wool material, I still believe the jersey is from his playing days due to the light blue uniform color. However, your game used uniform knowledge is better than mine. Thanks a lot for the help.

Williams last played for the cubs in 1974, and according to the Dressed to the Nines site, the Cubs didn't wear light blue uniforms with white pinstripes until 1978.

Also, below are pictures of the bear patch from a 1971 game-used Ray Newman jersey and a 1978 game-used Karl Pagel jersey. You'll notice that the nose on these patches is different than the one that you have. The threads are different, which is why I believe the jersey that UD used is one that he wore either for spring training or a commemorative game, possibly even in the 90's or 00's.

Cubs1971RayNewman3.jpg

Cubs1978KarlPagel4.jpg

bear0555

Aug 27, 2008
I just got a pm from someone here who realized billy williams was a coach for the cubs from 1980-1982.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/bullp ... y_Williams
Following his playing days, Williams was a Chicago Cubs coach from 1980 to 1982

The only years in which I could find light blue pinstriped uniforms for the cubs are 1978-1981.

http://exhibits.baseballhalloffame.org/ ... y+uniforms

However, only the 1978 photo shows this type of cub sleeve patch. I guess the mystery continues.

xcantgobackx

Aug 20, 2008
Jersey Shore
mrwhitesox30 said:

BillyWilliams33-5212-11-09326.jpg
BoJackson31-4812-19-0914350.jpg

Hey, that was my Williams! Lol. I remember pulling it. Nice to see it again. I might have a better scan (not from an ebay auction). If you're interested, I can peruse the computer files and see if I still have it.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts