Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

MLB Network - Prime 9 - Best CF'ers of all time

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

P_Manning 18

Aug 7, 2008
Top 9 Centerfielders of all time. Do you agree?

9. Kirby Puckett

8. Jim Edmonds

7. Duke Snider

6. Ken Griffey Jr

5. Joe DiMaggio

4. Tris Speaker

3. Mickey Mantle

2. Ty Cobb

1. Willie Mays

I thought Griffey would be a little higher.... but after seeing the top 5.... you really cant argue.

Ovation

Aug 30, 2008
P_Manning 18 said:

9. Kirby Puckett 124

8. Jim Edmonds 132

7. Duke Snider 140

6. Ken Griffey Jr 138

5. Joe DiMaggio 155

4. Tris Speaker 158

3. Mickey Mantle 172

2. Ty Cobb 167

1. Willie Mays 156

I thought Griffey would be a little higher.... but after seeing the top 5.... you really cant argue.

I added the adjusted OPS+ for everybody. The list looks good but I probably wouldn't put Edmonds ahead of Puckett since Puckett is a HOF player and Edmonds is not. Or at least he got elected to the HOF. Edmonds just looks out of place on the list and why did they stop at 9 most lists consist of 10?

i43770

Aug 7, 2008
Portland, OR
Ovation said:
P_Manning 18 said:

9. Kirby Puckett 124

8. Jim Edmonds 132

7. Duke Snider 140

6. Ken Griffey Jr 138

5. Joe DiMaggio 155

4. Tris Speaker 158

3. Mickey Mantle 172

2. Ty Cobb 167

1. Willie Mays 156

I added the adjusted OPS+ for everybody. The list looks good but I probably wouldn't put Edmonds ahead of Puckett since Puckett is a HOF player and Edmonds is not. Or at least he got elected to the HOF. Edmonds just looks out of place on the list and why did they stop at 9 most lists consist of 10?

I would assume it is a baseball thing, with there being 9 defensive players or 9 players in a line up.

sheetskout

Administrator
Aug 10, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
spahnandsain said:
Do you guys think Andruw Jones missed the top 9 by much? He was really something to watch for all those years in Atlanta.

I think as a defensive CF Jones may be the best of all time. He just gets to balls that others dont.

mlbsalltimegreats

Aug 7, 2008
daveyou said:
edmonds?

no knock on edmonds but didn't see that one coming

dave
It is a little odd to see edmonds but he was a very good center fielder so I guess not that big of a suprise. Maybe its because most of the people on the list have passed or have not played baseball in a long time :) .

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
I'd put Andruw on that list before Edmonds.

Anyone who argues that Griffey could have been #1 if not for injuries should also consider how incredibly good Mantle would have been if not for his injuries.

cowboysrule48

Aug 7, 2008
Orlando, FL
Edmonds makes amazing catches, but I feel he is overrated as a fielder. It just seems to me he has to dive for a lot of balls that would be routine for other top centerfielders.

andyduke86

Nov 22, 2008
sheetskout said:
spahnandsain said:
Do you guys think Andruw Jones missed the top 9 by much? He was really something to watch for all those years in Atlanta.

I think as a defensive CF Jones may be the best of all time. He just gets to balls that others dont.

Jones was definately better than Edmonds- offensively and defensively in his prime. Andruw hit 26 or more HRs each season for 10 consecutive years, and averaged 34.7 per year during that period.

scotty21690

Aug 7, 2008
disengager said:
I would put Dimaggio ahead of Griffey and Mantle. That park was very unforgiving to Dimaggio's power numbers....
Dimaggio was an incredible hitter. Imagine his numbers had injuries not plagued the end of his career??

Therion

Nov 19, 2008
Looooooosiana!
Blaming injuries is almost as annoying as holding longevity against a player. If we never aged and people never died, got sick, or got hurt, imagine how awesome Babe Ruth's numbers would be by now.

Members online

Latest posts