Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Braves to Retire Glavine's Number

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HPC

Aug 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
ATLANTA (AP) — The unflappable Tom Glavine (FSY) said he's not sure how he will react when he sees the Atlanta Braves retire his No. 47.
Glavine was rarely rattled as the Braves' 10-time All-Star and two-time Cy Young winner.

"He was always calm," said Eddie Perez (FSY), one of Glavine's former catchers who is now the Braves' bullpen coach. "He was always the same guy every day, every pitch. That's what I admired about him."

Glavine's even keel may be challenged Friday before the Braves' game against the San Francisco Giants.

"I don't know exactly what to expect in terms of how I feel," Glavine told The Associated Press on Wednesday. "This is not something I really anticipated or even dreamed about happening."

Glavine's No. 47 will be placed beside former teammate Greg Maddux's (FSY) No. 31 on the Turner Field facade in left field. Maddux's number was retired last year.

Glavine is only the seventh Braves player to have his number retired, joining Maddux, Hank Aaron (44), Warren Spahn (21), Eddie Mathews (41), Dale Murphy (3) and Phil Niekro (35).

Maddux, Glavine and John Smoltz (FSY) combined to win seven Cy Youngs in the 1990s. Glavine's awards came in 1991 and 1998.

"He didn't have the Smoltzie or Maddux-type stuff, but he was just as effective because he put three pitches right where he wanted to," said third baseman Chipper Jones (FSY). "I've seen him intentionally get himself into trouble so that he could get to the one hitter that he absolutely knew that he could get out.

"That's how confident he was in his ability."

Glavine, who had five seasons with at least 20 wins, set an example for other Atlanta pitchers by refusing to be slowed by minor injuries.

"I appreciate him more than anybody," Smoltz said. "I was with him longer than anybody. And the things that he went through behind the scenes are so far greater, they could only be appreciated by the guys who were with him."

Braves manager Bobby Cox said Glavine "was as tough as it got."

"He pitched with injuries, pain," Cox said. "It was always good to know that Tommy was the guy pitching after you had lost two or three in a row.

"I've got all the respect in the world for how courageous he was, how competitive."

Glavine won 305 regular-season games and is one of only six left-handers with 300 wins. Spahn's 363 wins are the most for any left-hander.

Glavine's biggest win came in the clinching Game 6 of the 1995 World Series victory over the Cleveland Indians.

Some Braves fans resented Glavine for his role as a player rep in the 1994 strike and for leaving Atlanta to pitch for the New York Mets in 2003-07.

"The path took him different places," Smoltz said. "It made it rough. He stood by all the feelings that he had. It wasn't easy. I think Friday will be a culmination of all the great things he did for the city. It will be a great night."

Glavine attempted a comeback with the Braves in 2009 but was released by the team following his minor league rehab from shoulder and elbow surgery.

After the release, Glavine said he felt betrayed. He said he didn't feel comfortable returning to Turner Field. The reconciliation came in February when he made his retirement official and was named a special assistant to team president John Schuerholz.

Glavine also has worked on some Braves radio and TV broadcasts.

"It's been good," he said. "I've had an opportunity to see different sides of everything, and I've enjoyed my involvement. I've appreciated the Braves being flexible with me in my schedule and allowing me to be a dad first."

Glavine said he's enjoyed the player evaluations, including at the minor league level. He said he also has enjoyed his time behind the microphone.

But Glavine says his biggest joy has come from having more time with his family, including seven children from two marriages. He said he's not ready for a full-time commitment to a new baseball career.

"I know if I'm going to grow in it, I will have to put more time into it and I don't know if I'm ready to do that," he said.

Glavine's family remained in Atlanta during his time with the Mets. His family watched as Glavine was booed by some Atlanta fans while wearing a New York uniform. Then came his unfulfilled comeback attempt last year.

Glavine said it is important to him that his kids can see him again embraced by Braves fans.

"A large part of my life has been as a baseball player, and obviously a large part of my legacy is here in Atlanta," he said. "I wanted a situation where my kids could enjoy that and be a part of that. For a while my kids were not all that interested in the Braves, and they've been asking me to go to Braves games all summer. That's been nice.

"It's cool because my kids had the opportunity to see me play and grew up with me as a baseball player and they're proud of what I've done. Now to be able to come into Turner Field and say 'Nobody is going to wear my dad's number again,' that's something I'm proud of. It makes me proud to know I've been able to do those things."

leatherman

Aug 7, 2008
The Atlanta suburbs
Next up, Smoltz and Chipper. That wall is going to get crowded.

Even as a Mets fan, it was a joy and honor to be in Atlanta to witness the Braves and their run in the 90s.

David

darocker80

Aug 7, 2008
Lincecum Land
Great move IMO and smoltz is the next to follow and soon chipper. Must be nice for braves fans to have them stay on that team for such a long time (and dominant). Now lets see if McCann will keep it up, and then heyward ;)

Members online

Latest posts