Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Jordan Lyles Promoted to AAA Round Rock

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Not bad for a 19-year old.

You dig, Mike? :mrgreen:

Astros promote top prospect Lyles, 19, to AAA
By ZACHARY LEVINE
Aug. 5, 2010, 10:28PM

CORPUS CHRISTI — The Astros' top prospect is one step away from the major leagues as a teenager.

Jordan Lyles, still just 19 years old, will be moving up from Class AA Corpus Christi to Class AAA Round Rock, he said after the Hooks' game on Thursday.

"It will be another challenge for me," Lyles said. "I'm excited, just one more step closer to the big leagues."

Corpus Christi manager Wes Clements broke the news to Lyles after the righthander made his 21st start of the year, throwing five innings and allowing two runs in a loss. For the season, the first round supplemental pick from the 2008 draft is 7-9 with a 3.12 ERA.

Astros general manager Ed Wade did not rule out that Lyles, a low-90s thrower with a full repertoire, could be Houston-bound by year's end.

"There's always a chance," Wade said. "In a perfect world, we don't have any more need for starting pitching at the big league level. I'd just like to see him go out every fifth day whether it's here or AAA or the big leagues, and just take the same approach."

nbailey

Apr 2, 2010
When I first heard this last night, I was excited for him and the Astros but I wasn't sure I saw the point. The only thing left for him to do is refine his secondary stuff and AA seems like the better place to do that than AAA.

However, now that I've slept on it, I think it's a great move. Considering he skipped the Cal league completely, this promotion to the PCL will be the first time he's been in a hitter's league. I like that Astro's are finally challenging their prospects (even overaggressive with Jason Castro in my opinion) and not Jason Laneing them all. These last 8 or so starts will go a long way in demonstrating whether Lyles can be a front end starter in the big's or if he'll just be a really good pitcher for years to come.
Plus, how cool would it be to see the teenager get a cup of coffee in September?

mikekarlovec

Aug 7, 2008
Hobbs, NM
Lyles.jpg

Seems like a great time to show off this pic i took and got signed at the AA all star game. Nice kid i hope he does well.