Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Three days at the National report....not good

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jul 30, 2009
It should read FOUR days at the National but its so bad Im just sitting around in Baltimore because I cant drag myself down to the show anymore.

This is my 8th national in the last 9 years (missed Atlanta) and by far the worst one Ive been to.

Obviously, each person has their own need list and what not but from my standpoint, I have always had sucess finding massive amounts of game used, auto cards in everyones discount boxes. Not this show.

Ive never had problems finding GU stuff of Cano, Wright, Reyes, HOfers, stars etc in $2-$5 boxes. This show, the only players in those boxes are Cliff Floyd, Mark Prior and Ben Grieve. EVERY SINGLE GU BOX WAS LIKE THIS.

Hope no one came here for prospects, there maybe five dealers with them and if you go to the White Plains show, you know them.

I really dont go to the Nationals to get cards I can easily find online, I love to dig through discount boxes and find hidden gems. Outside of a few finds (2 '94 Super Star Sampler Bonds, 2 01 Heritage Chrome cards etc) its really dead.

I took a list of 1952 Topps from a customer (psa 6) and thought Id have no problem finding many of them as they are all commons but only ONE DEALER had any. Well except one who had them at 2-3x ebay.

Theres a really nice "joke" showcase with a guy trying to sell 1984 Ralston Nolan Ryan cards for $40 each and 1988 Donruss Eddie Murrays for $20 per. Or a table with a bunch of 1985 Topps jumbo cards lined up as if they were worth more than the table cloth they are sitting on.

And I cant recall ever seeing so many empty tables. Seriously, just open tables in the show and once you get to the back, theres a bunch of them just lined together. A delaer I know just took a whole booth extra...FOR FREE.

Now I hope every dealer does well, everyone of them, but the crowds were dead the first three days although today looks really crowded.

Theres always a ton of vintage and old collectibles at the National and this one is no different.

The lines for the Stras Heritage card are insane. Youd think they were autograped and numbered to 10. I heard that they had to shut down the line because of safety. Its like 1991 revisited almost.

And I was even let down by a place I read so many incredible reviews for and was kind of looking foward to eating at, Five Guys Burgers. To me nothing special. I mean, they are good (wasnt expecitng two burgers in one) and the fries are ok but the two diners by me have much better bugers and fries.

If it was up to me, eventhough Im an east coast guy, the National should always be in either Cleveland or Chicago. In my opinion, the last two times it was on the east coast they were the two worst ones Ive been to.

Jul 30, 2009
gonzagacubs said:
is it safe to assume most of the cards people are looking for get moved dealer to dealer before the show even starts?

I lean more towards the best cards/ deals going the first two days but never had a problem any other National.

RedsFan2993

Jul 14, 2010
Five Guys is good for a chain...don't ever expect any chains to be better than diner burgers though.

Also, sorry about the disapointment in the show.

maxpower

Jan 6, 2010
Five Guys is a quantum leap above other fast food burgers, but it's still fast food. I'm not surprised that your local diner would be better. Also, I've found that it takes a couple visits to figure out which toppings make the burger just right for your tastes.

I think the lack of bargain box deals has a lot to do with the rise of eBay stores (now that store listings are on equal search footing with auctions) and COMC. It doesn't make sense for dealers to blow out HOFer jerseys at $2 per when its now much easier for them to tap into a wider market online.

rainmanesq

Aug 31, 2008
I usually set up @ nationals/other shows + usually do pretty well, but had to miss this one due to family obligations. Bummer that it wasn’t a better show- I’ve not heard a lot of rave reviews about it. As for cheap GU cards, it doesn’t really make sense for dealers from out of state to haul a ton of $2-5 cards to a show (though I do it if space allows)…same w/$.10-$1 boxes (but again, I do it if space allows). I think the bad economy/high travel + booth costs kept a lot of dealers away b/c most high end stuff is probably better being listed on ebay + most low-end stuff isn’t really worth traveling w/. As for prospect stuff, it seems like most buyers of those want to pay LESS (way less; we’re not talking a few $ less) than ebay, so in general (depends on the show), it’s hard to move a ton of prospect stuff @ top prices @ shows, so that probably keeps a lot of dealers away b/c it’s hard to pay $1k (or whatever rate you get) for a booth + deal w/teens saying ‘how about $50 for the lincecum ref au?’

Personally, I hope the national comes back to so cal, but that’s b/c traveling to Cleveland (takes forever/no quick direct way there for me) + Chicago (airport closed minutes before I was supposed to take off b/c of bad weather, so had to stay an extra night) is way more of a hassle than driving 15 mins. to Anaheim.

goldenegg1

Aug 7, 2008
As someone who lives in central Illinois, I would love for the National to be held in Chicago every year. I went to the one in St Louis many years ago and it was phenomenal as well, so I wouldn't mind it being there either.

chromerookies

Aug 7, 2008
Madison, Ct.
I got back last night from Baltimore and Completely agree with the OP. Usually I find a ton of bargain deals in the $1-$10 bargain boxes, not here.Here they weren't filled with bargains just junk like the OP said. There really wasn't anything special as far as deals or prospects was concerned and as with any show there was a ton of vintage BUT at the normally high prices they usually are. I was there for Friday only and was able to look at every booth and wasn't really impressed with anything except for one seller who I was able to buy a signed 1928 R315 Earl Averill Rookie along with a couple more HOF Rookie Auto's. When I got in I asked the people at the Topps booth when they would start a line and they said 1pm, so at 12:57 I walked over to get in line and it was already cut off. Funny how just about EVERY prospect dealer already had 2 Heritage Strasburg's and I asked one how much and he wanted $125, lucky them. Anyways it was my 2nd National, the 1st was Atlantic City which was ok. Honestly I find alot more better deals in White Plains than the Nationals,
just my 2cents,
Dan

scotty21690

Aug 7, 2008
chromerookies said:
I got back last night from Baltimore and Completely agree with the OP. Usually I find a ton of bargain deals in the $1-$10 bargain boxes, not here.Here they weren't filled with bargains just junk like the OP said. There really wasn't anything special as far as deals or prospects was concerned and as with any show there was a ton of vintage BUT at the normally high prices they usually are. I was there for Friday only and was able to look at every booth and wasn't really impressed with anything except for one seller who I was able to buy a signed 1928 R315 Earl Averill Rookie along with a couple more HOF Rookie Auto's. When I got in I asked the people at the Topps booth when they would start a line and they said 1pm, so at 12:57 I walked over to get in line and it was already cut off. Funny how just about EVERY prospect dealer already had 2 Heritage Strasburg's and I asked one how much and he wanted $125, lucky them. Anyways it was my 2nd National, the 1st was Atlantic City which was ok. Honestly I find alot more better deals in White Plains than the Nationals,
just my 2cents,
Dan
Scan? :D

G $MONEY$

Feb 8, 2009
Calgary
how is attendance there? is it really busy? Whats attendance like compared to the last few years? Is there very much Hockey there?

theplasticman

Nov 21, 2008
My exact feelings about the Chicago one 2 years ago. I know I collect what most might think are "fringe" players (Darin Erstad and Bucky Jacobsen) but... several dealers looked at me funny when asking for "Eddie Murray"... "Will Clark" got me even funnier looks. It was overall a fun trip but very disappointing from a buying standpoint. Having a few Grr available for cards and spending $48 in 3 days :(

jflan702

Sep 25, 2008
outside of Boston
Thanks for the updates everyone. I guess that I am happy that I didn't get up at the crack of dawn to catch a flight to Baltimore. Maybe I'll catch the next one that is in Chicago.

Thanks,

FortyFour

Aug 7, 2008
rainmanesq said:
Personally, I hope the national comes back to so cal, but that’s b/c traveling to Cleveland (takes forever/no quick direct way there for me) + Chicago (airport closed minutes before I was supposed to take off b/c of bad weather, so had to stay an extra night) is way more of a hassle than driving 15 mins. to Anaheim.
I hope so to but from what I heard in 06 was that it was one of the nationals worst years attendance wise.

jcmint

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
011873 said:
It should read FOUR days at the National but its so bad Im just sitting around in Baltimore because I cant drag myself down to the show anymore.

This is my 8th national in the last 9 years (missed Atlanta) and by far the worst one Ive been to.

Obviously, each person has their own need list and what not but from my standpoint, I have always had sucess finding massive amounts of game used, auto cards in everyones discount boxes. Not this show.

Ive never had problems finding GU stuff of Cano, Wright, Reyes, HOfers, stars etc in $2-$5 boxes. This show, the only players in those boxes are Cliff Floyd, Mark Prior and Ben Grieve. EVERY SINGLE GU BOX WAS LIKE THIS.

Hope no one came here for prospects, there maybe five dealers with them and if you go to the White Plains show, you know them.

I really dont go to the Nationals to get cards I can easily find online, I love to dig through discount boxes and find hidden gems. Outside of a few finds (2 '94 Super Star Sampler Bonds, 2 01 Heritage Chrome cards etc) its really dead.

I took a list of 1952 Topps from a customer (psa 6) and thought Id have no problem finding many of them as they are all commons but only ONE DEALER had any. Well except one who had them at 2-3x ebay.

Theres a really nice "joke" showcase with a guy trying to sell 1984 Ralston Nolan Ryan cards for $40 each and 1988 Donruss Eddie Murrays for $20 per. Or a table with a bunch of 1985 Topps jumbo cards lined up as if they were worth more than the table cloth they are sitting on.

And I cant recall ever seeing so many empty tables. Seriously, just open tables in the show and once you get to the back, theres a bunch of them just lined together. A delaer I know just took a whole booth extra...FOR FREE.

Now I hope every dealer does well, everyone of them, but the crowds were dead the first three days although today looks really crowded.

Theres always a ton of vintage and old collectibles at the National and this one is no different.

The lines for the Stras Heritage card are insane. Youd think they were autograped and numbered to 10. I heard that they had to shut down the line because of safety. Its like 1991 revisited almost.

And I was even let down by a place I read so many incredible reviews for and was kind of looking foward to eating at, Five Guys Burgers. To me nothing special. I mean, they are good (wasnt expecitng two burgers in one) and the fries are ok but the two diners by me have much better bugers and fries.

If it was up to me, eventhough Im an east coast guy, the National should always be in either Cleveland or Chicago. In my opinion, the last two times it was on the east coast they were the two worst ones Ive been to.

The show in AC in 2003 was awesome.

Jul 30, 2009
Id really like to get some dealers thoughts who were set up, anyone?

Also, anyone catch the prices for food in the convention center?

Nine bucks for a fast food sized burger and I dont know if it came with fries or they were extra.

I really wish though that it was a great show because the area, right off the harbor, is great to walk near with a lot of stuff to do.

Ok so since my thoughts on this show have all been negative, let me end on a postive note.

Good amount of kiddies there, thats always a good sign.

RZimm11

Feb 4, 2009
Glad I didn't get up at 7 for the 4 1/2 hour drive. Really wanted to go, but didn't make it.

Hopefully I'll make it next year.

Members online

Latest posts