Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

1st Annual FCB Community Blood Drive- Prizes Announced!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wideright

Aug 7, 2008
PRIZES ANNOUNCED IN LAST POST OF THREAD! :D I will need addresses as soon as possible!

First Annual FCB Community Blood Drive

*We've made a few changes underlined below.

This is a new thing that we thought would not only be fun for our FCB community to participate in, but would be a benefit to each of our local communities as well. We are hosting the First Annual FCB Community Blood Drive!

There is a real daily need in every community for blood to be donated. By donating blood - whole blood, plasma, or platelets - you are helping someone who has a real need, perhaps to save their life. Blood is needed for transfusions, surgeries, emergencies, cancer patients, burn patients, and much more. Every day. In every town and city.

We hope you will consider participating in the FCB Blood Drive, whether you are a regular donor or have never donated. Please consider getting involved and staying involved even after the Blood Drive.

So, here are the details. The Blood Drive starts immediately and will run through September 18. For those who have donated recently, this should give you enough time to be ready to donate again during this week. For those who have recently donated and will not be donating again until after the 18th, fear not! You will still qualify to enter into the prize drawings. Make a post in this thread that you did and either George or I will contact you to take a look at your donor card if possible. We need to be able to verify that you did donate.

If you are a first time donor in the U.S., you can go to RedCross.org and find a blood donation facility near you, or find a Blood Drive location near you. For Canadian donors, visit Canadian Blood Services. Make an appointment any time between now and Sept. 18th.

To make this a fun event, we are going to be giving away some nice prizes, but only to individuals who can show that they did indeed donate blood during the Blood Drive week (scan of donor card, pic of you being poked, video, donor sheet with ID number, etc.). We will hold the prize drawings for participants on Sunday, Sept. 19th to give away some very nice prizes. Just a few of the prizes you could win include:

th_scan0002.jpgth_scan0003.jpgth_scan0004.jpg

More scans real soon! We've added some really nice prizes to the list! Scans in a few days, check back.

Plan to get involved! Visit RedCross.org or Canadian Blood Services or any local blood donation center in your area and make an appointment. Thanks for reading, and especially for taking the time to donate to a great cause.

Red Cross: 1-800-REDCROSS (1-800-733-2767)
Canadian Blood Services: 1-888-2-DONATE (1-888-236-6283)

Dave (wideright)
George (stu)

Edit:
So far, this is the list of people that have mentioned they intended to donate at some point during the drive or have an appointment. Please post or PM to let me know if you did so I can include you in the prize drawing.

stu

Jan 24, 2010
Re: 1st Annual FCB Community Blood Drive (w/ Prizes!)

When I was at my LCS on Friday and told the owner what we were doing, he donated a few cards for the prizes. A big thank you to Nick's Sports Cards in Richardson, TX.

stu

Jan 24, 2010

If we can get at least 30 to participate, I will throw in a BAP Crosby auto to the prize pool.

bigpapiMA32

Aug 7, 2008
Monterey, CA

I go away to college August 31st, any chance I could donate before then and still be eligible? If not, I'll probably donate before then anyways it's something I usually do 2-3 times a year.

stu

Jan 24, 2010

bigpapiMA32 said:
I go away to college August 31st, any chance I could donate before then and still be eligible? If not, I'll probably donate before then anyways it's something I usually do 2-3 times a year.
I think that would be fine. Thanks for joining in.

Pine Tar

Mar 1, 2009
Oswego,Illinois

bigpapiMA32 said:
Just find one near the college, And don't college guys donate plasma to support their pizza and beer habit anyway :lol:

justinmandawg

Aug 7, 2008
Kansas City

You wouldn't believe how much blood we've been using lately in transfusions. I tranfused 20 units to various patients in the last week. There's plenty of need. Nice thing is I can give at work and stay on the clock.

jmagic87

Sep 27, 2008
Mass

I donate 3-4 times a year so this is great and a good idea

2 words of advice fore veryone who is 1st time or clsoe to it

1) ask for a blood donar card makes donating alot easier
2) check with work i know my dad and i both get 1/2 a day (4 hours) vacation time for donating its great becuase i donate 4 times a year and it allowes me to take Dec 24th off and Jan 2nd off EVERY YEAR and if one falls on a day off anyways gives u a nice floating day off

pigskincardboard

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto

two more words of advice.

Make sure you aren't iron deficient or else it makes for a less than enjoyable day :/

Enjoy the orange juice and possible, but not guaranteed, lollipop.

Prepare yourself to called every 2 months.

justinmandawg

Aug 7, 2008
Kansas City

pigskincardboard said:
two more words of advice.

Make sure you aren't iron deficient or else it makes for a less than enjoyable day :/

Enjoy the orange juice and possible, but not guaranteed, lollipop.

Prepare yourself to called every 2 months.

They are supposed to check for anemia before you donate. I've never donated once when they didn't take a drop and do the test prior.

stu

Jan 24, 2010

Eat a burger for dinner and for lunch before you donate to help with the iron.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008

This is a really great idea. I can't be in because I recently gave double red blood cells so I can't give until some time in October. Definitely a great thing to push, and if this website can bond together and go out and make a difference in ways like this, it's just another reason this site rocks.

cano collector

Apr 8, 2010

I have had a new tattoo in the last 3 months so I can't but great idea! I tried doing it a few years ago and they said I couldn't have had one in a year.

Billy Packer

Aug 7, 2008

If you tend to be a little iron deficient, eating a couple of small boxes of raisins (like your mom used to pack in your school lunch) within 24 hours or so of the time you plan to donate will often give you the necessary spike to qualify as well.

I donate whole blood every 8 weeks at the local Blood Center and have my next scheduled donation 8/25. I don't want to get off cycle with them for the sake of the contest but this is a great idea and a really easy thing to do to make a difference in your community. Nice job Dave!

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008

Billy Packer said:
If you tend to be a little iron deficient, eating a couple of small boxes of raisins (like your mom used to pack in your school lunch) within 24 hours or so of the time you plan to donate will often give you the necessary spike to qualify as well.

I donate whole blood every 8 weeks at the local Blood Center and have my next scheduled donation 8/25. I don't want to get off cycle with them for the sake of the contest but this is a great idea and a really easy thing to do to make a difference in your community. Nice job Dave!
It is amazing that you could legitimately save a life and all it takes is a little time.

wideright

Aug 7, 2008
Re: 1st Annual FCB Community Blood Drive (w/ Prizes!) Updated!

Thanks for all of the responses so far! It's great to hear of regular donors and those thinking about making an appointment. We wanted to make you all aware of some changes noted in the first post. Take a read :D

For those who have donated recently or have a regular appointment after the 18th, just send me or George a scan of your donor card or post-donation sheet (that has your WBN/DIN sticker) so we can verify it please. We want to make this as fair as possible without too much effort. If you can't, then we'll just have to take your word for it and you'll have to live with your own conscience ;) :D

Please! We want to get as many donors as possible, and in the process not exclude anyone from the prize drawings. If you want to donate and think there will be a conflict to qualifying for the prizes, shoot me or George a PM or make a post. We'll work it out.

Thanks everyone. Let's make a difference in someone's life.

wideright

Aug 7, 2008

First scans of the prizes in the first post! More to come.

Remember: You can donate anytime and be entered into the prize drawing! Post in this thread so that we know you donated. Thank you!

frazzles

Jun 3, 2010
Peoria, AZ

Making an appointment for tomorrow! Haven't donated in a while, used to do it all the time when I was in high school.

Great idea.