Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

That was my one week of vacation? Escape from Baltimore!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

G

What a week. It went by too quick, mostly because I was with so many people this time instead of just roaming around aimlessly be myself. It was great to put faces with people and talk about cards instead of just typing at the computer. It was also nice to get out of the swamps of Florida for just a little while. It's always bad when you step out of an airport and your glasses fog up and you look like you were covered in Crisco.

I have been to several Nationals starting with the 2003 National in Atlantic City, and I can tell you that from a surrounding locale aspect, there has never been a better venue. Baltimore's inner harbor is magnificent, and not as much of a pricey tourist trap as you might expect. Camden Yards is a world class venue, but I might be bias because I was in a luxury box. The weather did its part too. I hope we're back here in 2014. But the best part? There wasn't a plane landing every three minutes like at Rosemont ... I'm sorry, "Chicago."

A big thing I heard this week from FCB users is that there was "too much vintage" and I'd like to at least try to partially explain that. First of all, if you think eBay fees are bad ... try paying for a table at the National. Dealers need to make money this week and because the average price of a vintage card is, in many cases, higher than a modern card, it is easier to turn a profit selling that type of card at the show. Second, while you do see a ton of vintage on eBay, the real special stuff is usually reserved for the National and major auctions because buyers are typically more comfortable purchasing these items in person (even when slabbed).

Biggest dissapointment?
I had really hoped to see some key 1914 Cracker Jacks on the floor, but unfortunately with prices being down most dealers chose to "put them away for five years" when we hope the economy will be a little stronger. This was true for a number of key sets other than the more well-known T206, '33 Goudey, '52 Topps, etc. which are made of teflon.

Funniest moments?
1. Approaching a major auction house with a desire to purchase their card for $4,000 almost entirely in $20 bills due to my misfortune at the post office. At first they did not think I was serious, but when I produced the literal brick of cash we all laughed for quite some time and spent thirty minutes counting out the bills three times.
2. Removing a key card from a PSA holder, and then informing the PSA booth so that they could remove the card from their population report, only to catch a glimpse of Joe Orlando and promptly ask him to sign my copy of Collecting Sports Legends (which he graciously did, despite my slight to his firm).

Coolest cards I saw?
1. Three 1909-11 T206 Honus Wagner cards.
2. A PSA 3 1909-11 T206 Eddie Plank ($50,000)
3. A T5 Pinker Ty Cobb ($33,000)
4. A W600 Honus Wagner ($28,000)
5. A Zeenut Jim Thorpe ($15,000)

Cards I wish I'd bought?
1. 1921 E120 Ross Youngs SGC 3 ($255)
2. 1909 E92 Christy Mathewson SGC 3 ($1300)
3. 2001 SP Legendary Cuts Bill Terry / Mel Ott dual bat ($250)

Lessons learned?
1. Never bring your cards unless you're willing to part with them! :oops:
2. Apparently I am now a Chris "Beanie" Wells super collector. Anyone know what team he's on?
3. Never bust wax unless Chris Gilmore picks the box, and Chris Olds magically rubs it.

So ... we sort-of skimmed all that ... any pickups?
Just this...
14830a_lg.jpg

I have since removed it from the PSA holder and had it on site graded by SGC. That scan was provided by the dealer until I sit down and scan it in the SGC slab.

Going to pass out now.

mlbsalltimegreats

Aug 7, 2008
scotty21690 said:
That Mathewson.....just.....

:::DROOL:::

Looks like ya had a good time!
:lol: Some how I knew you would be here. As soon as I saw the card I thought Scotty's gonna love this! I agree with you Scotty DROOL!