Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Cahill Pickup

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cmnkb8

Nov 17, 2009
The Armpit of America: NEW JERSEY!
If there is any "adjustment", it won't be much considering he plays for Oakland and isn't flashy. Cahill's a ground ball machine, but that doesn't translate into hobby stardom.

If he continues to throw shutouts and lower his ERA and approach Josh Johnson ERA territory by season's end (unlikely), then I can see a significant spike.

Barring a magnificent run like that, the "adjustment" you speak of may be slim to none; in fact I think prices may have already "adjusted". Refractor autos are routinely near $25 shipped now. A few months ago they can be had for about $12.

pujolsjunkie

Aug 8, 2008
Guy is having great success in the AL this year and he's four months older than Strasburg. No one cares and no one will sadly. That's why prospecting is tricky. I remember buying three of those gem refractor autos for about 75 apiece a couple of years ago and sold them shortly thereafter for a little less than that while he was still in the minors. Now he's up and doing extremely well and his prices are slashed from back then. The window to sell may be closed unfortunately.

ahodge84

Jun 12, 2010
Lincoln, NE
JoshHamilton said:
What are raw refs going for?
cmnkb8 said:
If there is any "adjustment", it won't be much considering he plays for Oakland and isn't flashy. Cahill's a ground ball machine, but that doesn't translate into hobby stardom.

If he continues to throw shutouts and lower his ERA and approach Josh Johnson ERA territory by season's end (unlikely), then I can see a significant spike.

Barring a magnificent run like that, the "adjustment" you speak of may be slim to none; in fact I think prices may have already "adjusted". Refractor autos are routinely near $25 shipped now. A few months ago they can be had for about $12.

soccerman034

Aug 12, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
Everyone thought Brett Anderson would break out this year, but he got injured, so Cahill has done it. I have always been a Cahill guy, and I think that he and Brett will front a powerful rotation with the Athletics next year.

Rickzcards

Sep 26, 2008
Sin City
I think I paid $38 for mine so you didn't overpay. I've got quite a stash of his stuff. I've been meaning to pick up a gold auto ref or better but they've been a little to high for me.

Pine Tar

Mar 1, 2009
Oswego,Illinois
soccerman034 said:
Everyone thought Brett Anderson would break out this year, but he got injured, so Cahill has done it. I have always been a Cahill guy, and I think that he and Brett will front a powerful rotation with the Athletics next year.
If they don't trade them away in the next few years

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
Nice card. If he plays well enough for long enough he could see increases. Right now there are so many promising young pitchers that it might take some time, but the players who perform get noticed after a while and his age is a big plus.

pigskincardboard

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
I think people that look at Cahill have a hard time understanding exactly how he pitches and will routinely just call him a ground-ball pitcher. Cahill's two-seamer/ sinker is just absolutely dirty. However, anyone that hasn't watched him this year won't see the insane promise in his curveball.

I'm not sure if anyone has a pitch that even comes close to Cahill's two-seamer right now. I'll look at the numbers...

cmnkb8

Nov 17, 2009
The Armpit of America: NEW JERSEY!
pigskincardboard said:
I think people that look at Cahill have a hard time understanding exactly how he pitches and will routinely just call him a ground-ball pitcher. Cahill's two-seamer/ sinker is just absolutely dirty. However, anyone that hasn't watched him this year won't see the insane promise in his curveball.

I'm not sure if anyone has a pitch that even comes close to Cahill's two-seamer right now. I'll look at the numbers...

Carlos Zambrano (when he used to be good) had a crazy 2-seamer. But he threw it much harder than Cahill.

pigskincardboard

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
cmnkb8 said:
pigskincardboard said:

Carlos Zambrano (when he used to be good) had a crazy 2-seamer. But he threw it much harder than Cahill.

PFX data only goes back to 2007, unfortunately. But it looks like Zambrano's 2-seamer has been around 90-91mph since 2007, so i think it's fair to assume that you'd add about 1mph onto it considering his across the board dip in FB velocity that year. So it'd be about 92mph versus 90mph, I wouldn't call that huge.

It's too bad we don't have earlier data, but Cahill's 10.5/2.7 movement is pretty great. It's still not quite Brandon Webb territory, but it's gettin there. This year's champ looks to be Tim Hudson, who's got his fastball dippin to 1.3 above the vertical axis which is absolutely wild.

Tim Hudson's resurgence this year is just... nuts, really. His movement and speed are both up.

Members online

Latest posts