Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Contest Time... Winner: Philip J. Fry!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jacobbocce72

Aug 7, 2008
Austin, TX
Decided I haven't done this in a while, and since there are plenty of people on the boards who have given to me it's time to give back a little.

Winner takes home this bad boy:

IMG_0002.jpg

Pulled this back in the day, and as you can see in the scan the crimping machine got a hold of it. Still a nice Gammons auto, though.

I will be returing to school in a few weeks as a 7th grade science teacher. I make it a point to write a science "fun fact" on the board each day when the kids come in to class. So, the contest is pretty simple... post your favorite science fun fact (Try and keep them 7th grade school appropriate). Everyone who posts a fun fact will be entered to win (I will just assign everyone based on post number and randomly choose one). Contest will most likely end at midnight (central) tonight.

My fun fact:

If you could drive to the sun -- at 55 miles per hour -- it would take about 193 years

Thanks and good luck,
Jacob

mudflap02

Jan 23, 2009
Daytona Beach, FL
Re: Contest Time... for, well... no apparent reason!

If the Aggies start 4 freshmen on the offensive line, we will win a Big 12 Championship once in approximately every 7,845 years.

Philip J. Fry

Aug 9, 2008
Ohio

The embryos of tiger sharks fight each other while in their mother's womb, the survivor being the baby shark that is born.

Thanks!

JackLondon

Aug 23, 2008
California

German scientist Wilhelm Roentgen named the invisible rays he discovered X-rays because he had no idea what the mysterious rays were.

Thanks for the contest! :) (and for reminding us that science CAN be fun!)

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008

According to the Greek historian Herodotus, Egyptian men never became bald. The reason for this, Herodotus claimed, was that as children Egyptian males had their heads shaved, and their scalps were continually exposed to the health-giving rays of the sun.

james5348

Feb 2, 2009

As well as having unique fingerprints, humans also have unique tongue prints.

rymflaherty

Aug 7, 2008

Cool prize. Have to admit I did a search to find something to contribute....guess it's all good though because I learned something new......found this fact (had no clue of this prior lol)

There are 206 bones in the adult human body. There are 300 bones in a child's body.
(as you grow, some bones fuse together)

chowell3fan

Jan 27, 2010
Whaler Country

[youtube:26gtidkm]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqxMlmpB66k&feature=related[/youtube:26gtidkm]
just the first one....

mlbfan10

Feb 1, 2010
Winston-Salem, NC

A bolt of lightning is about 54,000°F (30,000°C); six times hotter than the Sun. Thanks for the contest!

Johnny G

Sep 29, 2008
Jersey Shore

Alligators get 2,000 to 3,000 teeth during the course of their lifetime.

Thanks for contest.

ozzy

Aug 9, 2008

The sound of thunder is produced by rapidly heated air surrounding lightning which expands faster than the speed of sound.

UpTheAlley

Sep 26, 2009
North Carolina

woot! woot! Science!
the largest structure in the universe is the filament! One of the largest filaments is in Aquarius and it's length is about 1 gigalightyear!!
Thanks for the fun!

docdw25

Aug 6, 2009

"Oh, here it is. Bratislava. Hmm. Capital of Slovakia. Oh, here's a fun fact: You made out with your sister, man!"

FortyFour

Aug 7, 2008

The Stegosaurus dinosaur measured up to 30 feet (9.1 meters) long but had a brain the size of a walnut.

CubsFan13

Jul 1, 2010

chowell3fan said:
[youtube:2xdojuwe]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqxMlmpB66k&feature=related[/youtube:2xdojuwe]
just the first one....

beat me to it.

Not science, but I found it interesting.

Replying more than 100 times to the same piece of spam e-mail will overwhelm the sender's system and interfere with their ability to send any more spam.

17ROCKIES12

Aug 13, 2008

A hummingbird's heart beats up to 1,260 times per minute.

dannyboy19

Feb 6, 2010
Massachusetts

An inch (2.5 centimeters) of rain water is equivalent to 15 inches (38.1 centimeters) of dry, powdery snow.

Thanks for the contest!

jmagic87

Sep 27, 2008
Mass

Thanks for the contest sweet card would be nice in any red soxs PC crimped or not

ill add a few (i help my god kids in school some are in grades 6 7 and 8) lol my family is to big

The animal with the largest brain in relation to its body is the ant

There are more beetles than any other kind of creature in the world.

It's impossible to sneeze with your eyes open.

The temperature can be determined by counting the number of cricket chirps in fourteen seconds and adding 40.

gsueagle04

Jun 30, 2010

The blue whale can produce sounds up to 188 decibels. This is the loudest sound produced by a living animal and has been detected as far away as 530 miles.

thanks!!

Members online