Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Alifaxwa2's Custom Card designs - 14aug - added 4 more

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

alifaxwa2

Dec 24, 2008
Jefferson, MD
I have always enjoyed making custom cards, but didn't spend a lot of time on them since I was never satisfied with my ability to print them out in a manner that had a clean look and allowed decent centering for images with boarders. I finally came up with a method of overlaying the 2 layers that I am happy with. So because of that, I think I will be putting more time into designing them. I will be posting the new creations to this thread.

My favorite vintage card set is 1955 Topps since it contains Roberto Clemente's rookie. So, for now, I will be focusing on making cards based on that design. For younger current players I am making contain stats and info that would be on a rookie card. For retired players I am using career stats and for older current players I will either use there best season of stats, or career stats for there time on there main team (such as the Kendall shown below).

The biggest thing I did different from the set, is I am not putting the Trivia drawing on the back since I don't want to have to be that creative and I like the more detailed text.
Here are the first batch of 3 and the Clemente that was my inspiration.

clemente.jpg

1955stargell.jpg

1955kendall.jpg

1955alvarez.jpg

autocut

Re: Alifaxwa2's Custom Card designs - first batch posted

Not too bad. i think you need a 1 pixel stroke/line around the headshot of the athlete and fade it a tad bit. Other than that, not too bad at all. Soon as I get a few things situated, I may design a few customs again.

CAROLINA BOSOX

Aug 12, 2008
Goose Creek, SC

Those old Pirate hat were, well, uh interesting. Willie was one of my favorites when I was a kid. Nice cards, you did a very good job with them. They look like a Topps reprint good.

alifaxwa2

Dec 24, 2008
Jefferson, MD

Thanks for the comments guys.

autocut said:
Not too bad. i think you need a 1 pixel stroke/line around the headshot of the athlete and fade it a tad bit. Other than that, not too bad at all. Soon as I get a few things situated, I may design a few customs again.

I will definitely try the fadeout, not sure about the line around the headshots, simply cause that means i have to be more picky about properly cleaning the edges. I will give it a try though.

BunchOBull

Dec 12, 2008
Houston, TX

autocut said:
an easy way to do it is a drop shadow with 0-1 spread.

This^

I do it as nearly a standard in all of my custom images.

----

BTW, love the cards, as they're based on my favorite post-war vintage card.

edited to add: Is the font on the PA different? It almost looks like his name wasn't bolded.

wideright

Aug 7, 2008

They look nice! Great job with all that text on the back. The only thing I would suggest is use anti-aliasing on the fonts on the front. They have jagged edges. But very nice job.

alifaxwa2

Dec 24, 2008
Jefferson, MD

autocut said:
an easy way to do it is a drop shadow with 0-1 spread.
Am aware of that, my concern is simply it will show off jagged cutouts more. But, I will certainly see how it looks
bunchobull said:
BTW, love the cards, as they're based on my favorite post-war vintage card.
edited to add: Is the font on the PA different? It almost looks like his name wasn't bolded.
Hadn't noticed that, not sure why it looks that way, will have to fix that.

wideright said:
They look nice! Great job with all that text on the back. The only thing I would suggest is use anti-aliasing on the fonts on the front. They have jagged edges. But very nice job.
Was unaware of that feature, will give it a try, would certainly look nicer.

Members online