Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Glen Coffee RETIRES from Niners at the old age of 23

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wheeler281

Mar 6, 2009
http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/ ... 9ers-shock

One of the stranger offseasons in recent San Francisco 49ers history took another unexpected twist when 2009 third-round choice Glen Coffee told the team he was retiring Friday.

Kentwan Balmer, the team's first-rounder in 2008, remains estranged from the team, while the man responsible for drafting both of them, Scot McCloughan, is helping the Seattle Seahawks build toward a 2010 opener against ... the 49ers.

kdailey4315

Mar 4, 2009
wheeler281 said:
http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/id/21232/glen-coffees-retirement-latest-49ers-shock

One of the stranger offseasons in recent San Francisco 49ers history took another unexpected twist when 2009 third-round choice Glen Coffee told the team he was retiring Friday.

Kentwan Balmer, the team's first-rounder in 2008, remains estranged from the team, while the man responsible for drafting both of them, Scot McCloughan, is helping the Seattle Seahawks build toward a 2010 opener against ... the 49ers.

Believe me, McCloughan is "helping" no one.

JimmyD

Jun 30, 2010
Surrey, BC, Canada Eh!
i could see requesting a trade so you had a chance to play but retiring... he had alot of potential. Crazy just crazy... maybe drug dealing pays more then NFL back-up!

jamuser304

Apr 24, 2009
I give the guy respect. Rumor is, he is going into ministry work. To give up on the NFL for a higher calling will not bring any criticism from me. Good for him!

jeff550

May 5, 2009
burke
jamuser304 said:
I give the guy respect. Rumor is, he is going into ministry work. To give up on the NFL for a higher calling will not bring any criticism from me. Good for him!
so hes like that one prospect

Card Magnet

Jan 24, 2009
Pennsylvania
The 49ers better scramble to get a new backup. I don't know who their 3rd stringer is, and you know Gore is going to miss a game or two.

I'm calling it now - 49ers will sign Westbrook.

Shi Guy

Jul 23, 2010
Seattle, Wa
Reports say Anothny Dixon, the 6th round pick out of Miss State, or Michael Robinson, a 5 year vet from Penn State, will be the new backup.

I say good for him to step out if his heart wasn't in it, and if he felt he was being pulled in another direction. While its unfortunate to leave and disappoint so many who had counted on him top support the team, he would have had a negative impact, rather than a positive one, by playing with less than 100% conviction.

For the gamblers out there now may be a good time to pick up a couple of his cards as the prices plummet, with the hopes that he'll return ala Ricky Williams.

pigskincardboard

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
One Bad Day said:
Reports say Anothny Dixon, the 6th round pick out of Miss State, or Michael Robinson, a 5 year vet from Penn State, will be the new backup.

I say good for him to step out if his heart wasn't in it, and if he felt he was being pulled in another direction. While its unfortunate to leave and disappoint so many who had counted on him top support the team, he would have had a negative impact, rather than a positive one, by playing with less than 100% conviction.

For the gamblers out there now may be a good time to pick up a couple of his cards as the prices plummet, with the hopes that he'll return ala Ricky Williams.

I like Dixon a lot. He's a beast.

With that said, I pulled a lot of coffee last year and I'm pretty pissed. By the way, the guy's name is Grant Desme.

Jan 15, 2009
Coffee's last play was getting sandwiched and layed out on his ass; great way to go out haha! Anthony Dixon is related to Rashun Dixon and Deshun Dixon, great family there!

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
bradical said:
With all of these players leaving, I have to wonder if it has something to do with Singletary's style of coaching.
Singletary is a ball-buster...something most of these college and high school superstars never had to deal with.

By the way, the whole "leaving for a ministry" thing is ridiculous. Even if true, it's a cop out considering the timing of it. He had the whole offseason to have his god or whoever convince him to leave the NFL, but he only decided once training camp got tough again.

So...I don't buy the ministry thing, something else is going on and it could be either a severe case of Wussitis or tough strain of Quitritus.

jamuser304

Apr 24, 2009
200lbhockeyplayer said:
bradical said:
With all of these players leaving, I have to wonder if it has something to do with Singletary's style of coaching.
Singletary is a ball-buster...something most of these college and high school superstars never had to deal with.

By the way, the whole "leaving for a ministry" thing is ridiculous. Even if true, it's a cop out considering the timing of it. He had the whole offseason to have his god or whoever convince him to leave the NFL, but he only decided once training camp got tough again.

So...I don't buy the ministry thing, something else is going on and it could be either a severe case of Wussitis or tough strain of Quitritus.

I didnt know you were close to Glen to make that judgement...

Sometimes a simple act can change someones perspective on things. Coffee was often referenced as a devout christian, and devoted a lot of time towards it. So its not a "copout," but rather a sway in passion that could tip at any case. And to be called a "wuss" for following his beliefs instead of playing a game that can interfere with his beliefs for much of the year, seems harsh.

Is Pat Tillman a wuss because he quit a game to follow another passion? My guess is you will say no, because "he did something more manly." Am I correct? Say what you will, but it takes a big man to leave a lot of money behind to do what he believes is right for him.

Card Magnet

Jan 24, 2009
Pennsylvania
"Actually when I look back I feel I never should have entered the draft in the first place," Coffee said. "Football was no longer my dream. I found Christ in college. It changed my views on everything. But I still was a football player because it was expected of me, it was something I did all my life. I was basically wasting the [49ers'] time."
Coffee will re-enroll at Alabama to get his degree, then intends to pursue a master's degree. He said he forced football, but that Christ told him to walk away a long time ago. He finally listened and won't look back.

"No, man. I've already told Christ it's time to go. I've already rung the bell. That's not going to happen."

Lally1

Aug 7, 2008
Minnesota
Wow, surprising. Good for him though, and what a ******** comment to make about a copout...just ridiculous ::facepalm::

The_ReverendAct2

Aug 7, 2008
200lbhockeyplayer said:
bradical said:

Good for him. Follow your heart not another's dream. Those who judge people for their faith have no clue. Everyone wants to believe in a higher power, I put my faith in Christ a long time ago. The ridiculous statement is from a fan or collector, buy in times if crisis we want people to counsel us who believe what they preach. When we go against the grain slander will come and you must be bigger then them. Football could have been a bigger platform for hus faith, but most don't care about our faith, see Tebow wrath, just that the player can run, throw, or catch. I am more of a Coffee fan now and trust me Singltary will not question has faith

Members online

Latest posts