Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Strasburg speaks out against Harper

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Zan

Aug 12, 2008
NY, NY
"If he wants to play here, he's going to play here. He doesn't need advice to confirm his views. If he doesn't want to play here, then we don't want him here. That's the bottom line." - Stephen Strasburg

Represent Strasburg, Harper is a ******.

Strasburg ftw.

Brian

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Here we go.

munch.gif

SamHell

Jun 12, 2010
Texas
I don't see that as speaking out against Harper at all. Just stating facts. Every player in MLB would probably say something similar about their teams draft pick.
http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd ... d=13510628
Full quote
Strasburg when asked if he had any advice for Harper.
"If he wants to play here, then he is going to play here," Strasburg said. "He doesn't need any advice from anybody. You don't need to convince him otherwise. If he doesn't want to play here, then we don't want him here -- bottom line. We want guys who want to play on this team. It's really important."

jlecates

Dec 4, 2008
I actually read this more as Strasburg understanding both sides, and therefore knowing that the only reason a deal doesn't get done is if Harper doesn't want to play for the Nats. The money will be there, as it was for Strasburg, so that isn't the hang-up.

NECpilgrims8

Aug 7, 2008
White Plains, NY
Pretty damn politically correct statement, along the lines of being as blunt as he can be.

Don't follow the media hype as this speaking out "against" Harper.

He is merely just stating the obvious facts of the situation, being that he had the same situation last year.

andyduke86

Nov 22, 2008
SamHell said:
I don't see that as speaking out against Harper at all. Just stating facts. Every player in MLB would probably say something similar about their teams draft pick.
http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd ... d=13510628
Full quote
Strasburg when asked if he had any advice for Harper.
"If he wants to play here, then he is going to play here," Strasburg said. "He doesn't need any advice from anybody. You don't need to convince him otherwise. If he doesn't want to play here, then we don't want him here -- bottom line. We want guys who want to play on this team. It's really important."

Exactly. This is a non-story.

seitas

Aug 7, 2008
For anyone that read beyond ESPN's headline it is clear that the quote was selectively edited to make it appear like a "call-out". Actually it was a pretty vanilla statement taken out of context. ESPN looks like TMZ on this one.

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
The reporters created this story...and the players who did the exact same thing are reacting for them.

Beautiful hypocrisy throughout.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
thefasterblade said:
Harper is quickly becoming hated.

People don't like cocky dbags.

Granted, he's still just a kid, but he has a lot of maturing to do.

I think one of the most impressive things is being great at something, knowing you're great, but maintaining respect for the game and a humble outlook on your talent. This is one reason why Derek Jeter is a big fan favorite.

Crash Davis

Aug 19, 2008
ALL_THE_HYPE said:
thefasterblade said:

I think one of the most impressive things is being great at something, knowing you're great, but maintaining respect for the game and a humble outlook on your talent. This is one reason why Derek Jeter is a big fan favorite.

And you know Harper is a cokcy dbag how?

He has a shark for an Agent.

That's all there is to it.

Name one #1 overall draft pick that Boras repped that didn't pull some sort of shenanigans? This dates all the way back to Brien Taylor.

So...is this a surprise? Absolutely not.

Pine Tar

Mar 1, 2009
Oswego,Illinois
Funny thing is Stras has the same angent and that Agent works for the client and that client is Harper, So the nationals will have to bend over and pay that kid, just like they bent for Stras. But all Stras was saying if you don't like what they offer and you feel you could or can get more then go ahead and move on to where you fell you need to go. As for me if I was him (Harper) I would not even readin to it as much as the media is going to spin this.

Zan

Aug 12, 2008
NY, NY
Crash Davis said:

Name one #1 overall draft pick that Boras repped that didn't pull some sort of shenanigans? This dates all the way back to Brien Taylor.

So...is this a surprise? Absolutely not.
[youtube:3rq6nayz]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLV8FpFXOMo[/youtube:3rq6nayz]
This. Watch any other interview you want then you can come to your own conclusion about him. But I totally agree with Ryan, he's a ******.

Brian

NECpilgrims8

Aug 7, 2008
White Plains, NY
What about that interview shows you he is a ******?

In fact, I think he is pretty damn level headed and well spoken. He states that he plays a lot of baseball, he acknowledges he is a good player, he understands the decision he had to make, and he is clearly driven to be the best.

Those are the qualities of top players in any sport. Don't confuse confidence with arrogance. When you have a target on your back from everyone, you have to walk around with a little bit of cocky attitude. If you don't, you will just fall to the pressure.

Just because your favorite mega-star has a smile on his face and says the right things to the media, doesn't mean he isn't cocky. He is just adjusted to deal with all the pressure and used to the spotlight.

elmalo

Feb 19, 2010
Crash Davis said:
[quote="ALL_THE_HYPE":3vrpp021]
thefasterblade said:

So...is this a surprise? Absolutely not.[/quote:3vrpp021]

That Shark got Brien Taylor a million dollars. Taylor got hurt and his career ended. Without Boras Taylor never would have gotten that million dollars.

Members online

Latest posts