Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

eBay - auction vs. fixed price/best offer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
Why are there so many more fixed price/best offers than auctions nowadays? In the past, there used to be a ton of auctions and few best offers... and the majority of the best offers are absolutely ridiculous. I recently delved in and tried it, and put a bunch of reasonable BINs up (and a few not so reasonable). The few offers I'm getting are less than stellar.

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
Personally I think sellers want to dictate prices. They sell the card for what they are willing to let it go for instead of a soft market guide prices. People are tired of low numbered cards selling for chump change. IMHO I think this is a smart move by sellers.

Pine Tar

Mar 1, 2009
Oswego,Illinois
Everyone has their price, as do you. So if I can get it for less then what I think it should go for, then I'm going to try. But I really think some are trying to get it for less only to flip it in say a week or so for way more it was originally sold for.

Sad but I see this more often then not.

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
It's a PITA when a card is selling for, say, $5 in auction, consistently, and the BIN sellers won't budge from their $20 mark...

I guess this is replacing the "reserve auction".

matchpenalty

Jan 12, 2009
North East
People still think they can get top dollar and can't come terms most card prices are in the toilet. But I'm sure these ebay sellers wanting an arm, leg and pint of blood for their cards. That never sell for stupid high bins. Are looking to pay bottom barrel and low ball for stuff they want.

JzWand

Jun 8, 2009
Burlington Ontario Canada
I think right now ebay is offering free auction listings so I just have been listing stuff for the lowest I am willing to let a card go for. I have a bunch of singles started at $0.49 and $0.99 but I have a few good cards with starting prices of $50 and more.

Its free so little benefit IMO in paying for Fixed and BIN and BOs!

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
Its like the guys at the shows and shops who are still trying to sell their dusty ten-year old cards for what they paid for them ten years ago.

The cards linger and linger until someone who doesn't know better or hasn't kept up with the times comes along and snatches it up. Or at least that's what the buyer hopes for anyway.

I've noticed this for months with regard to rare cards. Ebay is becoming like one of those overpriced mall shops with all these BINs!

matchpenalty

Jan 12, 2009
North East
JzWand said:
I think right now ebay is offering free auction listings so I just have been listing stuff for the lowest I am willing to let a card go for. I have a bunch of singles started at $0.49 and $0.99 but I have a few good cards with starting prices of $50 and more.

Its free so little benefit IMO in paying for Fixed and BIN and BOs!

Yep, with free listings now. People can just show off their cards with no intent to sell.

autocut

Jeff N. said:
Why are there so many more fixed price/best offers than auctions nowadays? In the past, there used to be a ton of auctions and few best offers... and the majority of the best offers are absolutely ridiculous. I recently delved in and tried it, and put a bunch of reasonable BINs up (and a few not so reasonable). The few offers I'm getting are less than stellar.

You get more money from fixed auctions/best offers, plus the buyer usually get money back from ebates, bread crumbs, etc.

phillyfan0417

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Greenfield, Wisconsin, United States
uniquebaseballcards said:
Its like the guys at the shows and shops who are still trying to sell their dusty ten-year old cards for what they paid for them ten years ago.

The cards linger and linger until someone who doesn't know better or hasn't kept up with the times comes along and snatches it up. Or at least that's what the buyer hopes for anyway.

I've noticed this for months with regard to rare cards. Ebay is becoming like one of those overpriced mall shops with all these BINs!

OR people have cards that they arent entirely willing to move but would if the price was right.

alifaxwa2

Dec 24, 2008
Jefferson, MD
eBay has gone from replacing card stores and shows due to the auctions and more reasonable prices, to copying the card store and show business model of 'overgraded cards at excessive prices'.

phillyfan0417

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Greenfield, Wisconsin, United States
alifaxwa2 said:
eBay has gone from replacing card stores and shows due to the auctions and more reasonable prices, to copying the card store and show business model of 'overgraded cards at excessive prices'.

You still do better than both of those options, there are just some people who arent willing to let it go at auction prices.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
phillyfan0417 said:
uniquebaseballcards said:

OR people have cards that they arent entirely willing to move but would if the price was right.

Yes, this is the reason for the BIN, reserve, etc., otherwise it would be a straight auction.

Pinbreaker

Aug 7, 2008
Laguna Niguel, CA
You only get free listings if you don't have a store!

I have a store and here are the fees I pay to list an auction..

Insertion fees for Stores
$0.01 - $0.99 $0.10
$1.00 - $9.99 $0.25
$10.00 - $24.99 $0.50
$25.00 - $49.99 $0.75
$50.00 - $199.99 $1.00
$200 or more $2.00

or if I list it as a BIN/BO it only cost's me $0.20..

So I will list a card with a BIN/BO and take offers.. I have my auto reject for the people that want to lowball me on nice cards otherwise I reply with what I am looking for in the card..

EricInCT

Jan 8, 2009
Jeff N. said:
EricInCT said:
I haven't done an auction that isn't etopps in forever. It is the only way to go (fixed).

And why is it "the only way to go"?

Good example is reggie bush's contender.

One sells PSA 10 for a best offer of 190 last week

this weekend an auction ends for a BGS 9.5 for 71 same as raw has sold for.

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
EricInCT said:
Jeff N. said:
EricInCT said:
I haven't done an auction that isn't etopps in forever. It is the only way to go (fixed).

this weekend an auction ends for a BGS 9.5 for 71.

Basically, bo/bin is trolling for suckers...?

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
Jeff N. said:
EricInCT said:
[quote="Jeff N.":3vw4q21r]
EricInCT said:

this weekend an auction ends for a BGS 9.5 for 71.

Basically, bo/bin is trolling for suckers...?[/quote:3vw4q21r]

I guess you could look at it that way, or you could say it's fishing for thoes who are willing to pay what you are asking, and avoiding loosing money via straight auction. Eithor way, it's basicly the same thing just different in how you see it.

Members online