Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

20 Best Baseball Players from 1940-1970?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rehmus

Mar 10, 2010
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
This is random, but I wanted to come up with a list of the 20 best players to play a majority of their career during that time period, 1940-1970. I'm doing a little project.

I'd say the oldest player I'd include would be Hank Greenberg. The youngest would be Carl Yastrzemski or Lou Brock or Willie Stargell. This means no Lou Gehrig/Jimmie Foxx and no Pete Rose/Joe Morgan.

Alphabetically, here are the 30 names I could come up with who would be in contention for this list:

Henry Aaron
Ernie Banks
Yogi Berra
Lou Brock
Roy Campanella
Roberto Clemente
Joe DiMaggio
Bob Feller
Whitey Ford
Bob Gibson
Hank Greenberg
Al Kaline
Harmon Killebrew
Ralph Kiner
Sandy Koufax
Mickey Mantle
Juan Marichal
Eddie Mathews
Willie Mays
Willie McCovey
Stan Musial
Satchel Paige
Robin Roberts
Brooks Robinson
Frank Robinson
Jackie Robinson
Duke Snider
Warren Spahn
Willie Stargell
Ted Williams
Carl Yastrzemski

The above list has 30 people. Narrow it down to 20.

Did I make any egregious omissions? Feel free to add other names.

craftysouthpaw

Jan 8, 2010
Great question! To me, there are 18 that were relatively easy:

Mays, Aaron, Musial, Williams, Mantle, DiMaggio, F.Robinson, Clemente, J.Robinson, Banks, Berra and Mathews for position players

Gibson, Spahn, Koufax, Ford, Feller, and Satchel for pitchers.

I think I need to add at least one pitcher so I would put Roberts in there. My last choice would probably by Johnny Mize who was omitted from your list. For that era, he is 4th in OPS+ (well 5th really, but I don't think Greenberg should be in the pool) and in the top 20 in WAR for all players. Really underrated IMO.

Toughest omissions for me were Kaline, McCovey, Yaz, and B.Robinson.

Other guys not on your list I thought deserved mention were Wilhelm, Drysdale, Newhouser, Doby, Colavito, Ken Boyer, and Luke Appling.

Looking back, it is surprising how poorly the pitchers stack up when adjusted for era, ballparks, etc. Mel Parnell actually was one of the best (which should make your Red Sox brain happy) but his career was pretty short.

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
Easiest names to omit for me...
- Harmon Killebrew
- Duke Snider
- Ralph Kiner
- Lou Brock
- Willie Stargell
- Robin Roberts
- Willie McCovey
- Brooks Robinson

...the remaining two?

Satchel Paige should be one, because we probably aren't including ***** League players and his time in the Majors wasn't "wow" worthy outside of his age.

Jackie Robinson would be the other for me simply due to the overall impact of his debut was more historical than his dominance of the league.

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
200lbhockeyplayer said:
- Harmon Killebrew
- Duke Snider
- Ralph Kiner
- Lou Brock
- Willie Stargell
- Robin Roberts
- Willie McCovey
- Brooks Robinson

...the remaining two?

Satchel Paige should be one, because we probably aren't including ***** League players and his time in the Majors wasn't "wow" worthy outside of his age.

Jackie Robinson would be the other for me simply due to the overall impact of his debut was more historical than his dominance of the league.

True, even though he is probably my favorite pitcher of that era.

rehmus

Mar 10, 2010
Thanks so much for all of the responses. This really helps.

Good idea on Johnny Mize. Never thought of that name.

I like a lot of the suggestions/removals. That is, the line(s) of thinking.

Keep em coming!

craftysouthpaw

Jan 8, 2010
200lbhockeyplayer said:
- Harmon Killebrew
- Duke Snider
- Ralph Kiner
- Lou Brock
- Willie Stargell
- Robin Roberts
- Willie McCovey
- Brooks Robinson

...the remaining two?

I would respectfully disagree about Jackie. He had an OPS+ of 132 which is excellent for a guy whose primary position was 2B. And he is just inside the top 20 in WAR for the players in the discussion despite only playing 10 years.

I can see your point about Satchel. I tend to think his performance against MLB guys, both at an advanced age and in his younger days in exhibitions, are enough to convince me he was one of, if not the best, pitcher of this era. Just my opinion of course.

And I went back and forth with Brooks before ultimately leaving him off. He wasn't dominant offensively, but he was just so good on defense - and the most recent defensive metrics support the legend - it was tough for me to omit him.

fkw

May 28, 2010
Kea'au, HI
Good Q

top 15 hitters/fielders

1. Ted Williams... best pure hitter for ave and power, would have hit 750+ HRs if he didnt go in to military.
2. Willie Mays... best all around player in last 80 years.
3. Joe DiMaggio... close to having more HRs than SO for a career, that's unheard of, if he played more than 18 years he would be in top 5 all time.
4. Stan Musial... the perfect hitter, 1377 extra base hits, and staying with one team his whole career is a plus.
5. Hank Aaron... stats reflect long career, but one of the consistent all time.
6. Yogi Berra... one of the best pure hitting catchers of all time, 6 times had more HRs than SOs in a season, only a couple players have done it 1 time in last 40 years (Brett, Bonds).
7. Ralph Kiner... led league in HRs 7 straight seasons, career 7.1 HRs for every 100 ABs, 6 time 100+ RBI seasons out of 10 seasons (see Mantle), etc.
8. Frank Robinson.... 1812 career RBIs, triple crown, 11 times 30+ HRs season,
9. Ernie Banks.... 500+ HRs for a guy who played SS for 1/2 his career, a couple MVPs too.
10. Roberto Clemente... 13 out of 18 years batted over .300, great OF.
11. *Ted Kluszewski... 5 straight seasons with more HRs than SOs (see Berra)
12. Harmon Killebrew.... 7 HRs for every 100 ABs in career, 8X 40+ HRs season, 9X 100+ RBI seasons, MLB emblem is Harmon batting.
13. Lou Brock... hits and stolen bases
14. Carl Yastrezemski... 1st 1/2 career great... 2nd 1/2 not so, triple crown.
15T. Mickey Mantle ... The guy is so overrated, cleanup (3/4) hitter for Yankees should have had more than 4 times 100+ RBI seasons out of an 18 season career, sub .300 career average, averaged less than 29 HRs a season, triple crown helps a bit, but SOs kill, Hit over 23 HRs only 2 times... and over 17 2Bs only 1 time after 30th B-Day.
15T. *Luis Aparicio... led league in SBs 1st 9 seasons, great SS.

top 5 pitchers

1. Sandy Koufax... if he had the same amount of games started as Ryan he would have had roughly 13 no hitters.
2. Warren Spahn... 13 times 20+ wins, 63 complete game shutouts.
3. Bob Feller.... 6 times 20+ wins, 7 times led league in SOs
4. Juan Marichal.... 6 times 20+ wins, 2.89 career ERA, 52 complete game shutouts.
5. Bob Gibson... 5 time 20+ wins, 2.91 career ERA, 56 complete game shutouts, 9X 200+ SO seasons

PS Paige was born in 1906, and started pitching in the 1920s so shouldnt be on the list, period. I also left Greenberg off because he started in '33... if you have him you need to include many other players who are younger in age, ie Mize, Medwick, Dean, Slaughter, etc.

donrusscrusademan

Sep 2, 2009
rehmus said:
donrusscrusademan said:
Maris was done by age 33, but he probably still has the legit HR record, plus has 2 MVPs and a GG

not even a hall of famer. tough to include him.

yep, for sure... doesnt deserve on the list but an honorable mention at least IMO..
he may be in the top 20 future relevance from that time period, as whenever some slugger chases Barrys record 99% of us call it Rogers :)

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
donrusscrusademan said:
rehmus said:
donrusscrusademan said:
Maris was done by age 33, but he probably still has the legit HR record, plus has 2 MVPs and a GG

yep, for sure... doesnt deserve on the list but an honorable mention at least IMO..
he may be in the top 20 future relevance from that time period, as whenever some slugger chases Barrys record 99% of us call it Rogers :)
Don't overestimate that percentage. It's probably closer to 9% than 99%.

Not a single respected and current baseball record book lists the record as Maris'...it's no longer his. Let's move on.

rehmus

Mar 10, 2010
200lbhockeyplayer said:
donrusscrusademan said:
rehmus said:
donrusscrusademan said:

Not a single respected and current baseball record book lists the record as Maris'...it's no longer his. Let's move on.

I think we can all agree Mark McGwire is the rightful home run champion.

donrusscrusademan

Sep 2, 2009
200lbhockeyplayer said:
donrusscrusademan said:
rehmus said:
donrusscrusademan said:

I tip my cap to the 1/11th that "havnt moved on" :lol: ;)
lol, yeah I do know what you mean though...Im not trying to pull that one or just make this another roidathon . I think people respect him more for his accomplishments seeing how many people cheated/overall natural athletic advancements and still couldnt put up that quality. Its not about whether its official or not, just the fact that some guy in the 190lbs hit 61 is impressive. even if Pujols breaks it clean with 235++ (or however much more he can pack on over the years) its still a whole different ballgame, which is why I dont go crazy over many records.

Maris hit 130HR 350RBI in a 3 year span and had 2 MVPs in that span. who knows what would have happened had he been able to play healthier, or even "stat pad" like many of the other greats.

fkw

May 28, 2010
Kea'au, HI
"""Don't overestimate that percentage. It's probably closer to 9% than 99%.

Not a single respected and current baseball record book lists the record as Maris'...it's no longer his. Let's move on."""

I agree 100%

Bonds is the ALL TIME HOME RUN KING!, And the Single Season Home Run King too!

whether you like him or not.

...and he is the Most Feared Hitter of All Time as well (held the intentional walk record for close to 1/2 his career).

Members online

Latest posts