Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

PSA Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vandybill

Sep 28, 2008
PSA guys, how do you compare a card with a qualifier to one without?

Does a qualifier knock it down a grade? 2 grades? Are some "worse" than others?

Thanks, Bill

SamHell

Jun 12, 2010
Texas
vandybill said:
PSA guys, how do you compare a card with a qualification to one without?

Does a qualification knock it down a grade? 2 grades? Are some "worse" than others?

Thanks, Bill

The PSA registry weighs qualifier cards 2 grades down. Example PSA 9(ST) or whatever the qualifier equals a PSA 7 with no qualifier. I think the market judges them harsher than that. Personally, I won't buy a qualifier card. If it was all I could afford, I'd rather have the PSA 4 that was off center than a PSA 6(OC). I think PSA should just get rid of the qualifier system.

vandybill

Sep 28, 2008
Perfect. Thanks!

I tend to agree. I have shied away from cards with qualifiers but ended up buying one tonight that was a 9(PD) of a card I just can't seem to find.

SamHell

Jun 12, 2010
Texas
vandybill said:
Perfect. Thanks!

I tend to agree. I have shied away from cards with qualifiers but ended up buying one tonight that was ironically a 9(ST) of a card I just can't seem to find.

As long as you paid for it like it was a 7, then no problem. The qualifier is just a pet peeve of mine. If it grades out a 7, put a 7 on it. I think the qualifier system just confuses people. I especially hate doing an ebay search and seeing '1960 Topps Joe Blow PSA 8' then looking at the card seeing it has a qualifier.

vandybill

Sep 28, 2008
I learned my lesson on that when I bought a card titled as an 8 and didn't look at the fine print that said 8(MK) until after winning the auction.

I paid less than the price a 7 normally fetches for the one tonight so I am okay with it, but to your point, I will likely replace it when given the chance.

pootshwan

Jan 26, 2010
Connecticut
Agreed. Do away with the qualifier system. If it's a 'PSA 9 off center' don't slab the card a 9. Drop it down to the correct grade and leave the qualifiers off completely.

Members online