Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Spotting 1933 Goudey Reprints

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vintagerookies51

Aug 10, 2010
I have a 1933 Goudey "sports kings" Ty cobb #1. I'm not sure if it's authentic and I was hoping for some tips on how to spot a fake. i've already found out that my T206 mathewson is real from tips from people in this forum, so i was hoping I could find out about this one. i'll have a scan up maybe tomorrow. thanks for any help!

vintagerookies51

Aug 10, 2010
@ nevermore I'm not positive but I think that's an old reprint. You can sorta tell from his face (it's really fuzzy/blurry) and the black circle/logo on the bottom. It is faded because of different ink. The others are more solid.

nevermore

Aug 7, 2008
New York
Thanks. Hadn't noticed that, I thought the painting was like that. Makes sense though.

I have no doubts regarding the other three.

fkw

May 28, 2010
Kea'au, HI
Post a clear scan front and back of the R338 Cobb.
There are a few ways to tell... cropping and color, boldness, and the color of the border compared to the other white parts of the card, etc. but its not easy for me to walk you through it.

The R319 Ruth in your video is a reprint

R319s are much easier than R338s

In other post.... All 4 of the R319's are authentic, even the Gomez.
The sig Im not sure of, Ive only owned "Sharpie Era" sigs of Gomez, and dont see any good vintage ones on internet. The sig is vintage but Im not sure he signed it.

vintagerookies51

Aug 10, 2010
@fwk yeah i know the ruth is a fake. Haha and i know you know a lot when it comes to spotting vintage fakes, so i'm not going to argue about the gomez. I'll have a scan up tomorrow.. sorry

fkw

May 28, 2010
Kea'au, HI
edited*** double post

(I have super slow internet in the rainy mountains here on Mauna Loa, Hawaii.... and I thought the other post didnt go through)

::facepalm:: is right :D

nevermore

Aug 7, 2008
New York
carlitoson - Very helpful link, I bookmarked it for future reference. Thanks!

fkw - Thanks for verifying, I'm glad it's real! Card is probably not worth a whole lot in its condition, but it's nice to have a RC of a HOF Yankee. The auto looks different than his signature in cuts and PSA/DNA slabs that I've seen. It may be real is if it is an early version of his autograph like you said, and if he signed differently back then.

fkw

May 28, 2010
Kea'au, HI
Lefty Gomez R319
To me, The sig looks like someone went slow and stopped and started alot (see dark spots of sig), also the "L" is not consistent with what Ive seen of his authentic sigs and second letter looks like an "a". The loop should be much larger on "L", there are other inconsistencies as well. Id say a Kid in the 1935-40s era did it, which is not too uncommon since these cards had no real value back then. If it didnt have the writing it would be about a $30-$40 card or so, but closer to 1/2 that with writing. It would be in the same range value wise as a lower grade common, but still is a vintage HOFer so has that cool factor going for it.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts