Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

I know the original video is well circulated but...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
Here is his personal response:

[youtube:2ldubozv]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUqs-dz_Z1M[/youtube:2ldubozv]

I like how he does NOT care that most-all are fake because these are "great pieces of art"

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
pigskincardboard said:
Yup, this is awful. I can't believe he hasn't at least attempted to sue PSA. It's sad and pathetic.

It really is... he is in such denial and thinks that he is a better baseball fan then most people because he won't do anything about it... and these are great "comemerative pieces" which they are more un-American than you can get...

schmidtfan20

Aug 24, 2008
but grading a card doesn't signify that the auto or patch is real. The card, its corners, edges, surface and centering
is all that the grade does.

KEvin

pigskincardboard

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
schmidtfan20 said:
but grading a card doesn't signify that the auto or patch is real. The card, its corners, edges, surface and centering

KEvin

how is replacing the patch any different from trimming the card?

jcmint

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
The guy claims PSA will stand behind the cards authenticity.

schmidtfan20 said:

KEvin

pigskincardboard

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
jcmint said:

schmidtfan20 said:

KEvin

And thus, should've been labeled AUTHENTIC - ALTERED with no grade attached.

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
pigskincardboard said:
jcmint said:

schmidtfan20 said:

KEvin

And thus, should've been labeled AUTHENTIC - ALTERED with no grade attached.

yeah it should have been... these cards are as good as firewood now...

cjb9421

Feb 17, 2010
He really irritates me when he says SABATHIA...thats NOT how you say it retard...I also like how he throws the Jim Edmonds patch that he calls "fake" (which is most likely real) in with the other fakes. This dudes a tool...those cards are UGLY lol. IMO..Some of those look like those non GU cards back in 03 sweet spot...UGLY lol

cjb9421

Feb 17, 2010
Kevbo said:
ArtVandelay said:
Anyone care to elaborate on the background or point me in the direction of the original thread? New here :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UF5I5wwl2SA
I can't even stand to see it again. It's like watching someone faceplant on some concrete stairs in roller blades, but less funny.

Pause that vid at 3:58...You can see the Ozzie Smith is rather damaged IMO in the top left part of thewindow where he decided to ruin the card with some "art" lol

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
The Guy w/All Those Fake Patches said:
This is my nightmare. I have been black listed, threatened, harrassed, ridiculed, and I did nothing but purchase, collect, authenticate, and grade cards to perserve them for my family as legacy items of worth. I have nothing...

[youtube:3f75hvv5]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bt7sCNl1sU[/youtube:3f75hvv5]

He only has 4 youtube vids, these 3 that were posted, and one showing his house...

Vagrant

May 2, 2009
It is incredibly transparent that this guy is unwilling to accept the fact that at least 90% of those are fake. What is even more transparent is that he insists that he DOES NOT care, but mentions the PSA authentication, challenges anybody from the industry to contact him, and mentions the fact that he DOES NOT care about 100 times. Generally, the more times you repeat yourself the more untrue the statement you're making tends to be. You start trying to convince yourself of what you're saying. He's in denial up to his neck.

We went over this and over this in the other thread, but it is guys like this that keep the fake patch market alive and well. I refuse to buy patches anymore for this reason unless they fall under certain criteria.

1. They are consistent with other patches of the same numerical sequence. For example, you can see the other patches continuation over other cards in the same subset.

2. Video evidence of said card being pulled exists.

3. The patch is numbered to /5 or less and does not contain any unrealistic pieces such as laundry tags, shoulder patches, or Logo patches.

4. State explicitly on the card what they contain. For example, several sets have "laundry tag", or "logoman", on the cards now. If they do not, I do not buy them.

I stick by these general rules. They may cause me to miss a nice patch or two that may or may not be authentic, but they save me a lot of cash.

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
Vagrant said:
It is incredibly transparent that this guy is unwilling to accept the fact that at least 90% of those are fake. What is even more transparent is that he insists that he DOES NOT care, but mentions the PSA authentication, challenges anybody from the industry to contact him, and mentions the fact that he DOES NOT care about 100 times. Generally, the more times you repeat yourself the more untrue the statement you're making tends to be. You start trying to convince yourself of what you're saying. He's in denial up to his neck.

We went over this and over this in the other thread, but it is guys like this that keep the fake patch market alive and well. I refuse to buy patches anymore for this reason unless they fall under certain criteria.

1. They are consistent with other patches of the same numerical sequence. For example, you can see the other patches continuation over other cards in the same subset.

3. The patch is numbered to /5 or less and does not contain any unrealistic pieces such as laundry tags, shoulder patches, or Logo patches.

4. State explicitly on the card what they contain. For example, several sets have "laundry tag", or "logoman", on the cards now. If they do not, I do not buy them.

I stick by these general rules. They may cause me to miss a nice patch or two that may or may not be authentic, but they save me a lot of cash.

mine are:

If the patch is more than 2 clr, I don't buy it.

If it looks too good to be true, it probably is.

If the patch says "Logoman" than I MIGHT buy it.

Only way I would buy patches is if I know the person selling them, or watched a LEGIT box break (so many of these are fake too now-a-days...) or pulled it myself.

Kevbo

Aug 7, 2008
That's interesting criteria from you guys, but it's almost like letting these patch fakers ruin the hobby for you. The best criteria if you are interested in patch cards (because there are some very nice looking Real patch cards) is simply Education.
If a 2005 Prime Patches Portraits card says "Authentic Game Worn Jersey" underneath it, and has a patch - it's Fake. It should be a Jersey piece.
If it says "Authentic Game Worn Jersey - Laundry Tag", and has a laundry tag - I'm going to say it's real - because who is going to switch out a laundry tag?

Compare this fake:
http://cgi.ebay.com/1-05-PRIME-PATC...CH-/400144539434?pt=US_Baseball#ht_2634wt_754
to this real:
http://cgi.ebay.com/2005-Prime-Patc...-15-/250678432217?pt=US_Baseball#ht_500wt_947

The 2005 Donruss stuff was great because if it was a patch or something more than just a jersey it had that designation (prime/logo/number/laundry tag/button/etc.) Unfortunately, five years later, people still don't seem to know that. Also unfortunately, other card companies didn't try harder to distinguish their pieces.

Sure, the safest way to not get ripped off buying fake patches is simply not to buy patches, but that's A) letting them win and B) no fun!
One day, I'm sure for at least one set, one company may make a database of scans or video images of the patches they put out. Until then, being informed is a pretty good way to not get taken. And of course, while some people hate the "real or fake" threads on here sometimes, they do make for valuable resources. Example - if this dude in the video was a member here, he wouldn't have all those fake patches.

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
TBTwinsFan said:
Vagrant said:

mine are:

If the patch is more than 2 clr, I don't buy it.

If it looks too good to be true, it probably is.

If the patch says "Logoman" than I MIGHT buy it.

Only way I would buy patches is if I know the person selling them, or watched a LEGIT box break (so many of these are fake too now-a-days...) or pulled it myself.

All I buy is one color swatches, and even then I'm skeptical.

Members online