Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2 strikeouts in one inning with no outs recorded

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

leatherman

Aug 7, 2008
The Atlanta suburbs
It's rather unusual when a pitcher records a strikeout and the batter reaches base, either by a passed ball or a wild pitch. It's a rare feat indeed when a pitcher doesn't record an out in an appearance, but records a strikeout. However, on three such occasions, a pitcher struck out TWO batters without recording a single out.

Andy Hansen on June 18, 1949
Gene Lillard on July 2, 1939 (second game of a doubleheader)
Curt Davis on June 7, 1935

Here is the entire list of the 35 pitchers who had a strikeout without recording an out: http://www.baseball-reference.com/play- ... reit/EkF3C

David

alifaxwa2

Dec 24, 2008
Jefferson, MD
TBTwinsFan said:
A passed ball is with 2 strikes and the catcher can't hold onto it... and how can you strike someone out on a wild pitch?
the batter sung at really really bad pitch that is the pitchers fault it wasnt caught. A passed ball is simply a ball the catcher should have gotten but didnt.

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
alifaxwa2 said:
TBTwinsFan said:
A passed ball is with 2 strikes and the catcher can't hold onto it... and how can you strike someone out on a wild pitch?
the batter sung at really really bad pitch that is the pitchers fault it wasnt caught. A passed ball is simply a ball the catcher should have gotten but didnt.

Ahh. It all makes sense now.

+1 for helping

Crazylox23

Aug 8, 2008
I believe there was a minor league pitcher that struck out 6 or 7 in one inning in the early 90's

leatherman

Aug 7, 2008
The Atlanta suburbs
Bornagaincollector said:
Does Chuck Finley have the record for 4 ks in a inning?

Kind of.

Finley has actually done it three times. No one else has done it twice. There are dozens of pitchers who have done it, most recently by Manny Parra on June 6th. Felix Hernandez did it 3 days before that. No one has struck out five in one inning.

Scott Baker, Mike Cuellar, Mike Paxton, Bobby Witt, Kevin Appier, Wilson Alvarez, Chuck Finley, Kazuhiro Sasaki, Ed Crane, Hooks Wiltse, Jim Davis, Pete Richert, Don Drysdale, Bill Bonham, Kirt Ojala, Steve Kline and Octavio Dotel all struck out 4 in consecutive order. The other pitchers who have done it had other baserunners in the inning.

Here is an interesting list: http://www.baseball-reference.com/play- ... reit/MRHHM

All of the pitchers in the link above had greater than 3 strikeouts per inning pitched in a single game. For those of you that see Mike Stanton's name twice and think that I was wrong when I said that no one besides Finley had more than one 4-strikeout inning, I offer two pieces of evidence:
1. In the 1985 game, Stanton came into the game with two outs in the top of the 8th inning and struck out Chet Lemon for the third out. In the top of the ninth, he struck out Tom Brookens and then Bob Melvin, but Melvin reached on a passed ball. After walks to Lou Whitaker and Alan Trammell, Stanton struck out Johnny Grubb for the second out of the inning (but his third strikeout of the inning). He was then relieved by Jerry Gleaton who got Darrell Evans to fly out to end the game. So, Stanton got 4 strikeouts in 1.0 innings pitched, but it wasn't 4 strikeouts in a single inning.
2. If you still feel like Stanton should be included as the second pitcher to strike out 4 batters in one inning, this piece of evidence is certainly damning: It wasn't the same Mike Stanton. :) The lefthanded reliever that lost two World Series with the Braves, before winning three with the Yankees, didn't break into the league until 1989. There have now been THREE Mike Stantons to play in the big leagues, including the rookie outfielder for the Marlins.

David

vandybill

Sep 28, 2008
Does it seem odd that all three of these guys show 2 strikeouts and 2 batters faced, but 2 of the three also gave up a walk and a hit and the other walked 2?

Does the blown strikeout somehow not count as a batter faced?

leatherman

Aug 7, 2008
The Atlanta suburbs
vandybill said:
Does it seem odd that all three of these guys show 2 strikeouts and 2 batters faced, but 2 of the three also gave up a walk and a hit and the other walked 2?

Does the blown strikeout somehow not count as a batter faced?

I think it's because these are old box scores and they are simply errors.

bowmanchromeandorr

May 23, 2010
Race City USA
200lbhockeyplayer said:
Yet no one has struck out 5 batters in an inning.

i have seen 5 k's in an inning, granted it was in a 13u travel baseball tam this past year. my son got the 5 k's because his catcher (the coach's son) coouldn't catch a ball to save his life

Members online

No members online now.