Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Listing a price when selling in the Transactions boards?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Messier2

Aug 10, 2008
I know that is the requirement over at the blowout boards and not here. What are everyone's thoughts on that...what are the pros/cons you see if such a rule was imposed here?

jetsmets150

Jan 29, 2010
Pros:

You have a starting point on price
You may be able to find a steal (for buyers)
You may be able to know how easily the card will be dealt

Cons:

It could turn off people if the price is way to high

That is all I could think of right away. Feel free to add to my list.

nyc3

Aug 20, 2008
While it makes complete sense apparently some feel the "man" is telling them what to do mannnnnnnnnn.

They like wasting your time with over ebay prices and having to wait hours for an answer I guess. *shrugs*

I can tell you thats the reason I dont even bother looking over in the bump fest forum when I have cash to burn. I much rather make an offer on ebay or another site which requires the price be posted it cuts the transaction time in half in most cases.

rymflaherty

Aug 7, 2008
Could give a length opinion/explanation looking at all sides.....but I'll keep it simple - it shouldn't be mandatory to post a price.

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
I don't like it. If I list a bucket link, they want prices for every card. I have a few cards in my bucket and it'd take a good amount of time to list everything.

I like the old 'seller offers a price, if I like it, I accept and if I don't, I counter.' Just easier that way.

matchpenalty

Jan 12, 2009
North East
55_marlins_sp said:
I don't like it. If I list a bucket link, they want prices for every card. I have a few cards in my bucket and it'd take a good amount of time to list everything.

I like the old 'seller offers a price, if I like it, I accept and if I don't, I counter.' Just easier that way.

Being Lazy is easy way and big waste of time way.

Too many people hope they find a sucker to overpay, or don't want to except the fact that their cards aren't worth as much as think. The dumbest are I just want what I got into theory. What a joke.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
Agree with Gilmore, although when posting lots of things it's nice to just have people ask for a price on what they want rather than taking the time to list a price on everything when realistically you may only end up moving a couple things.

Also when dealing with rare cards or stuff that hasn't appeared on eBay in awhile, it's a lot more difficult to price stuff.

So why make it mandatory? The better sellers will understand that it helps them move stuff faster and do it anyway.

nyc3

Aug 20, 2008
Problem is with the whole I do and I sell cards is there are people who wont even bother looking because it seems the only work needed to be done by the seller is post a link and leave. Now the buyer on the other has to look at completed auctions figure out whats a good price to offer, now wait for the seller to respond with a counter offer above ebay. Now you have to point out the ebay prices to the seller, who in return tells you he paid more than that.

WJCIII

Dec 30, 2008
If there's not a price posted then I move along. Why should I have to do the work to check ebay for current prices, send an offer, and then be told that my offer is declined? If you're trying to sell your card then I think you should put a price tag on it. At least it gives a starting point.

With that being said, it shouldn't be mandatory. If the seller thinks he benefits from not posting a price then so be it. However, I can promise that a lot of people on here would have gotten a lot of money from me if they put a price on their cards.

pigskincardboard

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
If you don't list the price, you're liable to get a bunch of offers from people whose business is flipping cards. It absolutely drives me wild when seven people ask for a price on the same card and all get responses via PM. Obviously everyone wants a card that sells well so they can sell it. All you're going to get is a bunch of offers that are well under eBay.

I just wish that people would put something close to a region they're willing to sell for or a region they're willing to buy for. The only thing I hate more than a sale thread with no prices is a buy thread with no prices. Everyone's looking for Mike Trout, guys. It's just a matter of what we're willing to pay for it. I'm starting to think that I should make a thread looking for every prospect out there and without telling anyone, just decide that I'm willing to pay a third of market value.

I think people are embarrassed to ask for what they actually want on the card. If people didn't give a damn what other people thought of their prices, the transaction board would flow smoothly.

If some people would just realize that they're not infinitely smarter than every other prospector on the board, it'd go well.

Some people list a bunch of cards and it should be assumed that they're looking for around eBay unless posted otherwise. If you assume that people buying and selling stuff aren't morons, you'll get more prices listed, more deals done, and less time wasted.

Prospects are really the only problem.

AmishDave

Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
matchpenalty said:
55_marlins_sp said:

Too many people hope they find a sucker to overpay, or don't want to except the fact that their cards aren't worth as much as think. The dumbest are I just want what I got into theory. What a joke.

I'm more than happy to list prices for what people would be interested in, but I'm not gonna list 400 prices for stuff that nobody has any interest in. Being lazy and common sense aren't the same thing. Just saying ...

Huffamaniac

Oct 8, 2008
I am for it, and usually only buy if a price is listed. ALso on a few ocassions when someone posts they are interested in buying a certain player and they list what they are willing to sell it for, I have emailed the seller and ask if it is available still I would be willing to buy it.

I do not think it should be required but i do think it is a good practice and could generate more sells.

pigskincardboard

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
55_marlins_sp said:
matchpenalty said:
[quote="55_marlins_sp":9oo908hv]I don't like it. If I list a bucket link, they want prices for every card. I have a few cards in my bucket and it'd take a good amount of time to list everything.

I'm more than happy to list prices for what people would be interested in, but I'm not gonna list 400 prices for stuff that nobody has any interest in. Being lazy and common sense aren't the same thing. Just saying ...[/quote:9oo908hv]

If your'e listing more than 10 cards, it makes sense not to list a price but a general idea would be stellar.

If you just throw out a blanket statement that you're selling for around eBay and if people are scouring the board for items that they can buy for 25% less than eBay so that they can clear 10% when they sell on eBay, it's not going to happen.

I genuinely think that there's a large group of people that think they are so amazing at buying cards that they'll be able to get a *steal* on everything.

AmishDave

Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
pigskincardboard said:
55_marlins_sp said:
matchpenalty said:
[quote="55_marlins_sp":vomhdrtu]I don't like it. If I list a bucket link, they want prices for every card. I have a few cards in my bucket and it'd take a good amount of time to list everything.

I'm more than happy to list prices for what people would be interested in, but I'm not gonna list 400 prices for stuff that nobody has any interest in. Being lazy and common sense aren't the same thing. Just saying ...

If your'e listing more than 10 cards, it makes sense not to list a price but a general idea would be stellar.

If you just throw out a blanket statement that you're selling for around eBay and if people are scouring the board for items that they can buy for 25% less than eBay so that they can clear 10% when they sell on eBay, it's not going to happen.

I genuinely think that there's a large group of people that think they are so amazing at buying cards that they'll be able to get a *steal* on everything.[/quote:vomhdrtu]

I would love to throw out the "looking for eBay prices or in that general area" on Blowout, but, of course, that's not allowed.

95vr4

Aug 7, 2008
Never liked that rule, never support that rule.

BTW, never liked the 24 hours bump a thread rule either, but I could understand sometimes people bumps a thread within an hour or two maybe annoy. My thread on buying the 09 Ultimate Patch was removed just because I bumped (all I've said is 'list updated, and thanks for certain members' help') the thread within 23 hours, not 24 hours. :oops: :|

bmc398

May 25, 2009
There's one huge problem on the board. Its that when people ask for a price and get one they don't like, they don't bother to even reply back. No "No Thank You, thanks for your time" or any of that. This is the only board ive seen that done on, and its very rude.

Sometimes, people are afraid to post a price or quote a price because they don't want to scare the other party off from a deal. If the card is posted up on the transactions boards, im sure if you treated the seller with respect and had an actual dialouge with them that things could be worked out. If I take the time to quote a price for you when you ask, you can at least take the time out to say thanks.

Its funny, because a lot of the people who posted in this thread are quilty of this issue too.

Messier2

Aug 10, 2008
From my experience over on the transactions boards, I tend to actually sell cards when I list a price. I've tried posting "send me offers" on the same cards and have received squat.

I figured this would be a way to increase people's sales (I mean you are looking to sell the card that you took the time to post up right?). But, I guess there are opinions on both ends.

Personally, it should not be mandatory but from a buyers perspective (like me)...it's better if you do.

Members online

Latest posts