Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Derek Lee on his way to the Braves?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MAC16

Jul 29, 2009
10:40am: The Braves and Cubs are "way along in the process" of working out a deal, according to ESPN.com's Jerry Crasnick (all Twitter links). Lee appears willing to accept the deal, but the clubs haven't determined which players would go to Chicago. Not surprisingly, the Cubs don't seem likely to get big-time prospects in the potential deal.

any thoughts?

masonphillip

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
I've always liked Derrek. He's been a good player for a lot of years and he's a classy guy.

That being said, it isn't hard to see why the players coming the other way won't be top tier guys, his numbers are way down this year, especially when compared with his outstanding season last year.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/5775

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
MAC16 said:
10:40am: The Braves and Cubs are "way along in the process" of working out a deal, according to ESPN.com's Jerry Crasnick (all Twitter links). Lee appears willing to accept the deal, but the clubs haven't determined which players would go to Chicago. Not surprisingly, the Cubs don't seem likely to get big-time prospects in the potential deal.

any thoughts?

Moving Glaus to 3B then ? Or just benching him ? Interesting ...

mchenrycards

Featured Contributor, Vintage Corner, Senior Membe
The Cubs might get a case of baseballs and some pine tar for this guy. He has a bad back, he seems to be always injured his production numbers are declining. The only good thing that will happen is the Cubs dump a small amount of salary. I just dont think anything they get in return will ever amount to anything good.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
mchenrycards said:
The Cubs might get a case of baseballs and some pine tar for this guy. He has a bad back, he seems to be always injured his production numbers are declining. The only good thing that will happen is the Cubs dump a small amount of salary. I just dont think anything they get in return will ever amount to anything good.

It's too bad because he's been a great player for them in his time with the Cubs. Seems like the Cubs never move guys at the right time.

goldenegg1

Aug 7, 2008
mchenrycards said:

He is always injured?
May want to check your stats:
2000- 158 games played- 28HR
2001- 158- 21 HR
2002- 162- 27 HR
2003- 155- 31 HR
2004- 161- Year he joined Cubs
2005- 158- 46 HR
2006- 50- 8 HR
2007- 150- 22HR
2008- 155- 20 HR
2009- 141- 35 HR
While I will grant you that he is on the downslope, I still consider him productive.
He was a pretty good clubhouse leader and stepped when Zambrano was a little wuss.
I will miss him, I thought he was a class act and was great for the Cubs!

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Would I be correct in assuming that Freddie Freeman is NOT throwing a party at his house this very moment?

blitzerlover

Aug 9, 2008
Jaypers said:
Would I be correct in assuming that Freddie Freeman is NOT throwing a party at his house this very moment?

I really don't think this effects him at all. Lee's contract is up at the end of the year. I doubt Freeman would have been called up anyway.

craftysouthpaw

Jan 8, 2010
Great deal for the Braves. High upside and if he doesn't hit, they are basically in the same boat they are in now. The three guys they gave up would have been a long shot to ever be a contributor on their staff considering the rest of the guys they have in the stable.

Nothing has really changed for Freeman as management has been adament he was going to finish the AAA season before any call-up. I have watched him all year at Gwinnett and am not convinced he is ready. Hopefully, I'm off base with that belief. That being said, he will still have a chance in September to get significant at bats if Lee stumbles.

scottagibson

Aug 3, 2009
I'm a big Braves fan, and I usually like trades... but i feel like the chemistry was already great. I don't know, I can see how this could help the braves, but i'm of the mindset "if it ain't broke... don't fix it" I just hope it helps.

hawkfandan

Aug 7, 2008
4600 North Chicago, IL
Great dude, but he needed to go. As a Cubs fan, the only thing we really have to look forward to is that they are finally breaking this team that squandered more than one opportunity up.

Hallsgator

Aug 7, 2008
Charleston, SC
Fun story of the night.

M-Braves vs. Tennessee Smokies game tonight, so it's AA Braves at AA Cubs. The trade is finalized about two hours before first pitch and we learn that Harris will be joining the Smokies. So, 45 minutes before first pitch, Harris comes walking out of the visitors clubhouse in his Braves gear and with his Braves bag and walks through the concourse to get to the home clubhouse. I got in the clubhouse the same time he did and all the Smokies starting introducing themselves, etc and he was dressed for the Smokies tonight.

Quite possibly the most interesting thing I've seen at a baseball game, lol.

Oh, and Julio Teheran is SOOOOOOOOO filthy.

ajbraves25

Aug 9, 2008
Springfield, IL
I for one as a big Braves fan hate this deal. I understand that he could contribute and that his contract is up so don't have to worry about signing him, but this just sucks. Why the hell didn't they make a play for Dunn or Fielder? I mean seriously, Glaus has blown ass since the All-Star break and the Braves shouldve made a move then. I made a post about 2 weeks into the season blasting Glaus and I got dumped on. Looks like I was right all along. Anyways, why make a deal for a 1B now when we really need a 3B? I just don't get it. What can Lee possibly do for the Braves that Glaus isn't doing for them already? Do they really think a change of scenery will make a difference? Lee is washed up and done. Hell if they were gonna get a Cub that isn't producing, why not get Aramis? Atleast he can play 3B. I have a bad feeling this will be the start of a slump and them missing the playoffs. Farnsworth and now Lee? C'mon, we could've had Berkman!!!

~AJ

Latest posts