Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Player Collectors - 1997 Metal Universe Proofs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

henderson939

Dec 14, 2009
New Jersey
I recently came across these 1997 Metal Universe pre-production/test proofs. They come in 2 styles and are blankbacked. The first and nicest looking is the original art without any foil and the other is a silver foil card. I have never come across these, and there maybe only handful in existence. I will post a pic of my 2 Hendersons proofs, so you can see the difference from the regular issue. I have other players if interested. Here is a list of the more popular players that I have.
Omar vizquel
Darin Erstad
Mark Mcgwire
Andy Pettitte
Mariano Rivera
John Olerud
Paul Molitor
Curt Schilling
Johnny Damon
Vlad Guerrero
Darryl Kile
Scott Rolen
Tim Salmon
Jason Giambi

I also have some other players, but not as popular as the ones above. If you are looking for someone, drop me a pm. Thanks.

IMG_4227.jpg

IMG_4226.jpg

henderson939

Dec 14, 2009
New Jersey
Anyone else interested? To the guys that asked for prices, feel free to counter offer if you feel I'm too high. Thanks for contacting me.

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
I don't have my checklists in front of me but is there a Jeff Cirillo, Greg Vaughn, or Jeromy Burnitz? Also, mind me asking where you came accross them?

olerud363

Jun 14, 2010
Ontario, Canada
Just a follow-up on this thread. I recently completed a trade with Ken for the two Oleruds, which I received on Friday. Here they are, in case anyone wants to see other cards from this series:

First, the "regular" Metal Universe Olerud:
metal001.jpg

This is what I'm calling the Metal Universe Prototype Artwork card:
metal002.jpg

Here's the Metal Universe Prototype Foil card:
metal003.jpg

They are indeed really nice looking cards, and I'm glad to have added them to my Olerud collection.

Thanks Ken (aka henderson939)!

- R.

P.S. I noticed that in the Henderson artwork card with the squid, it looks like there's a bubble over Henderson's head. Maybe indicating that he lives in his own little world, even if it's only in his head? The "World According to Rickey"? :lol:

Philip J. Fry

Aug 9, 2008
Ohio
olerud363 said:
P.S. I noticed that in the Henderson artwork card with the squid, it looks like there's a bubble over Henderson's head. Maybe indicating that he lives in his own little world, even if it's only in his head? The "World According to Rickey"? :lol:

How else is Rickey supposed to breathe underwater? :)

theplasticman

Nov 21, 2008
Are these real? I'm inclined to believe they are not considering the person selling them on ebay (ljbiggestfan etc).

henderson939

Dec 14, 2009
New Jersey
First of all, these are not cards that were soaked in water like Lj's. Second, he is not selling these. Third, it is obvious from the pics in this post that they are not anywhere near the same. Fourth, I dont like being put in the same category as a scammer like lj. Ask the guys that bought them from me, if they are happy with them. Jastermereel, Olrude, ect.

carrsallstars

Sep 16, 2009
The only bad thing about those 97 metal cards was there was no insert/parallel version to the regular cards...on Manny's copy he is surrounded by bats (bats as in the flying mammal)- too bad they couldn't work up some prismatic bats for Manny or holographic Octopus for RIckey.. The 98 precious metal gems technology might have been a bit much for the artwork on the 97 issue, though. ( I assume you didn't have a Manny as he wasn't on your list...)

theplasticman

Nov 21, 2008
My mistake, please accept my apologies.

Just seems like a die-hard player collector as I am would have seen copies of these (or known of their existence) sooner than now. That's my reason to be skeptical I guess especially due to the proliferation of "proof" cards over the last 2-3 years. I'm sure you can understand my opinion and hopefully see where I am coming from.

Members online